Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    SeighWatt, The two causes are interdependent. The more complex Keyboards require more current and with a dubious power source, the multimedia keyboard may be exacerbating the power source issue.

As an aside, many Laptops shut down the USB Ports when inactive to save power. There is a setting in the device Properties which allows you to override this but rather than chase this red herring, it is easier to try a known power source.
    I agree the power source is dubious. The issue I alluded to earlier was running Windows XP under Vista in VirtualBox (I think that had to be the combo). Vista didn't let XP activate power to one of the real USB ports on my laptop. Substituting a powered hub solved my problem, because VirtualBox was sending the correct data to the port; it just wasn't turning the power on. My guess is that it couldn't sense the dongle device I had plugged in, but it could sense the powered hub, for whatever reason.

But (and I've been wrong before, you know that ;-) I would think that with the USB spec limiting current to 500mA, no keyboard should use power beyond what the port can provide. Then again, I wouldn't allow all the +5 V lines on a hub to be connected, either, but apparently that can be done. ;-)
    Post deleted .... wrong forum
    Quote Originally Posted by SeighWatt View Post
    <snip>

Looks like your OTG cable is fine - something else is happening.

You've got everything connected properly; let's just try changing the order that the connections take place.

Step minus one (just before liftoff): if you have the actual charger handy for the Touchpad, can we use that instead of the laptop to power the keyboard? If there was a good reason not to do that, please remind me, as I must have missed it.

First (step zero), on battery power, let's turn the Touchpad all the way off, and then back on again. That should make sure that the hardware is completely reset.

Now let's try this:

1. Connect the 'other end' of the thick wire USB-A to USB female to USB female connector (same way as before).

2. Connect the keyboard to the other side of the USB female connector (same as before).

3. Connect the OTG micro USB to touchpad. The idea is that this will turn on the USB hub in the Touchpad first, before anything else is connected.

4. Connect thin wire of Y cable to the Touchpad Charger (or the laptop usb, if necessary, but I'm concerned that may be where we have a problem). This should give power to the keyboard. The keyboard probably isn't going to light up - it probably needs to handshake with the Touchpad first, and even then, one may have to press the NumLock key before the Numlock LED comes on. Also note that NumLock probably will only turn the light on, and send a '%' to the Touchpad. No, I don't know why. Back to business:

5. Finally, connect the thick wire from the end the thin usb wire extends) USB-A to OTG cable.

If you are using the laptop for power, and it doesn't work, my suspicion is that either the laptop is turned off (your picture shows the lid closed, I think, but I don't know if you had it up earlier), or the laptop is somehow sensing the other connections, and doing something funny to the voltage levels. That's why I really think you should use the charger. The laptop USB is also probably rated at 500mA, while the Touchpad charger is rated at 2000mA (2 Amps).

Good luck! Let's see if we can get this to work!
    Seighwatt,

No luck. I tried the connections as you mentioned but i didnt work. Its driving me nuts on why i am unable to be successful on this excercise. I am attaching the pic.

I will try to connect the USB drive and let u know the results.

But i do have a quick question about the 5 images i uploaded earlier. Did you see those error messages i am getting once i connected the peripherals to the OTG cable? What do these error message means?

msm_hsub_hot msm_hsub_host.0: Port 1 reset error -110
    trying to get port status again *****statusffffffe0 ports
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SeighWatt, The two causes are interdependent. The more complex Keyboards require more current and with a dubious power source, the multimedia keyboard may be exacerbating the power source issue.

As an aside, many Laptops shut down the USB Ports when inactive to save power. There is a setting in the device Properties which allows you to override this but rather than chase this red herring, it is easier to try a known power source.
    Hi Seighwatt / Wheel_Nut,

I have observed something when i did tail -f /var/log/messages

When i connected the OTG cable (without any connections to it) to the TP, i see the following

webos-device kern.info kernel: [159.633781] msm_otg_resume: usb exited from low power mode
    msm_hsusb_host msm_hsusb_host.0: Qualcomm On-Chip EHCI Host Controller
    new USB bus registered
    New USB device found, idvendor=1d6b, idproduct=0002
    finally i see this

msm_otg_suspend: usb in low power mode

I this normal? Why my TP automatically suspending OTG??

After connecting the USB thumb drive to my touchpad, i see the same error message i listed in my earlier thread..

hub:1-0:1.0: cannot enable port 1. May be the usb cable is bad?

Do you think my Y cable is bad?? I started get this feeling since the thumb drive didnt LIT.
    May be i need to buy another Y cable and start the testing..... Will have to order 1.

I do have another Y cable but the Y cable i have come with USB external portable hard drive so one end is Mini USB.. I might have to try the USB hard drive connection..

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ppvsp; 10/27/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Hi Seighwatt / Wheel_Nut,

I have observed something when i did tail -f /var/log/messages

When i connected the OTG cable (without any connections to it) to the TP, i see the following

webos-device kern.info kernel: [159.633781] msm_otg_resume: usb exited from low power mode
    msm_hsusb_host msm_hsusb_host.0: Qualcomm On-Chip EHCI Host Controller
    new USB bus registered
    New USB device found, idvendor=1d6b, idproduct=0002
    finally i see this

msm_otg_suspend: usb in low power mode

I this normal? Why my TP automatically suspending OTG??

After connecting the USB thumb drive to my touchpad, i see the same error message i listed in my earlier thread..

hub:1-0:1.0: cannot enable port 1. May be the usb cable is bad?

Do you think my Y cable is bad?? I started get this feeling since the thumb drive didnt LIT.
    May be i need to buy another Y cable and start the testing..... Will have to order 1.

I do have another Y cable but the Y cable i have come with USB external portable hard drive so one end is Mini USB.. I might have to try the USB hard drive connection..

Regards
    Below is the output from my tail of attaching the OGT plug (dealextreme) to my wife's TP. I did three plug/unplug attempts with the following scenario:
    1) OGT plug in, unplug (just the OGT adapter, nothing attached to it) Lines 11-28
    2) OGT plug in, unplug (OGT attached to usb y-cable, power y-cable has emergency AA adapter cable attached but not the actual battery or it's encasement) Lines 29-46
    3) OGT plug in, unplug (OGT, y-cable, battery&encasement, usb thumb drive) Lines 64-100

Although my USB thumb drive does not light up, I am able to mount and browse it's contents.

I can see that I also get the "low power mode" and "otg_suspend" messages in my log but they do not adversely affect the performance. I do not however get the "hub:1-0:1.0: cannot enable port 1. May be the usb cable is bad?" message, in fact I get the opposite of "hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found" and "hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected". Perhaps you are correct (as is the kernel messages) that the Y-cable may be bad.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Let me preface this by saying that I do NOT know any more than the rest of you, how Linux and webOS internals work but.....

I believe that you are reading the minutiae of the handshaking process and perhaps drawing the wrong conclusions. It is usual for the detection of a device on a port to involve the raising of an IRQ and the subsequent handling of error detection and re-tries before establishing the connection.

I have had a look at (what I can read) from the images and Text file posted and I cannot tell what are hard errors and which are errors being handled by the OS. Remember that the attachment of an OTG device is something of an unnatural act on the TouchPad because it is not specified to support this. I surmise that it works because the fundamental code is built into Linux and in backfeeding the USB port with external power, we are able to make OTG mode function.

I haven't looked at the Log while my rig connects but I will do this sometime and expect I will see a similar log to that which you are seeing.

Of course, I could be wrong and I don't profess to know any more about this than the next guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
    Below is the output from my tail of attaching the OGT plug (dealextreme) to my wife's TP. I did three plug/unplug attempts with the following scenario:
    1) OGT plug in, unplug (just the OGT adapter, nothing attached to it) Lines 11-28
    2) OGT plug in, unplug (OGT attached to usb y-cable, power y-cable has emergency AA adapter cable attached but not the actual battery or it's encasement) Lines 29-46
    3) OGT plug in, unplug (OGT, y-cable, battery&encasement, usb thumb drive) Lines 64-100

Although my USB thumb drive does not light up, I am able to mount and browse it's contents.

I can see that I also get the "low power mode" and "otg_suspend" messages in my log but they do not adversely affect the performance. I do not however get the "hub:1-0:1.0: cannot enable port 1. May be the usb cable is bad?" message, in fact I get the opposite of "hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found" and "hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected". Perhaps you are correct (as is the kernel messages) that the Y-cable may be bad.
    Hi plgnply

Thanks for the message. I am also guessing that its the cable issue. I will try to use different cable with my laptop external hard drive. After examining your log, i see line 75 to 80 that your TP recognized your usb drive (kingston DT 101 II).. and i this is the reason why you were able to browse the contents of the drive..

My case is not that.. looks like its failing to recognize it...
    My setup is

USB 'A' from Power(PC) to USB 'A' on hub
    USB Mini (Hub) to USB 'A' into USB 'A' (female) ( on a UTG cable)
    USB 'A' female to TouchPad

Peripherals plugged into the hub/card-reader which is a generic one bought from my local 'Poundstretchers' shop in the UK fo 2.49. It can be powered via any of the USB ports and fortunately supplies power to the TouchPad socket.

So far I've successfully connected

a) Memory card ( in both Webos & Android)
    b) Externally powered disk drive( Android only)
    c) Wireless Keyboard (Webos & Android)
    d) Wireless Mouse ( Android only - so far)

Since I'm fairly new to Linux commands I haven't found out yet how to get either operating system to recognise more than one storage device attached to the hub. Android auto mounts everything and one storage device is mounted in /mnt/usbdisk - I haven't figured out how to get it to mount more than one device. In Webos it's a question of working out which devices are available to be loaded.

So I have 3 questions
    1) How to detect which entries in /dev relate to the devices I've attached ?
    2) Is there a way in Android to identify which device is autoloaded and which aren't so that I can mount them into other directories ?
    3) Is there a way for webos to detect the mouse

Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere but I can't them

Hope someone can help me
    Last edited by fourlans; 10/30/2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Correction
    Double Post
    Last edited by fourlans; 10/30/2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Double Post
    .... That is why I have written two Scripts:

mountusb

# Usage:
    # mountusb -h | --help | [-s sdevice] [-d dir]
    #
    # Options:
    # -h, --help Display this help message and exit.
    # -s system device - sda1 sdb1 |sdc1 |sdd1
    # -d destination directory - usb1 | usb2 | usb3 |usb4
    #
    # If no arguments are specified,
    # Program defaults to Device sda1 and Destination
    # Directory /media/internal/usb1

dismountusb

# Usage:
    # dismountusb -h | --help [-s sdevice] [-d dir]
    #
    # Options:
    # -h, --help Display this help message and exit.
    # -s system device - sda1 | sdb1 |sdc1 |sdd1
    # -d directory to be removed - usba | usbb | usbc |usbd
    #
    # If no arguments are specified,
    # Program defaults to Device sda1 and Destination
    # Directory is left in /media/internal/

I have written it to allow the mounting and dismounting of up to four devices. This is because I use a 4 port USB Hub.

Now, does anybody know how to invoke a Script from an Icon on the GUI?
    Wheel_nut

I've just come across your post your reference to the mounting & unmounting of up to 4 devices.

Any chance I can have a copy of the two scripts ? I haven't been able to find whether you have posted them for others to use or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlans View Post
    So I have 3 questions
    1) How to detect which entries in /dev relate to the devices I've attached ?
    2) Is there a way in Android to identify which device is autoloaded and which aren't so that I can mount them into other directories ?
    3) Is there a way for webos to detect the mouse
    1. using command dmesg after attached device show you what is find by kernel.
    2. i don't know if is possible to auto mount more, but you can mount more usb device manualy using mount command, and ofcourse mount to diferent directory (previous created using command: mkdir /mnt/usb2 ...)
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb2
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb3
    (sdb1 and sdc1 ^^^^ must be replaced to your real device name finded using dmesg)
    3. i think, webOS UI has not build support for mouse/tracball
    Quote Originally Posted by k3dar View Post
    1. using command dmesg after attached device show you what is find by kernel.
    2. i don't know if is possible to auto mount more, but you can mount more usb device manualy using mount command, and ofcourse mount to diferent directory (previous created using command: mkdir /mnt/usb2 ...)
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb2
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb3
    (sdb1 and sdc1 ^^^^ must be replaced to your real device name finded using dmesg)
    3. i think, webOS UI has not build support for mouse/tracball
    Actually, it does recognizes the mouse plugged in, and registers the click or move signals. However, it does not know what to do with those signals.

Try to use qemu to mount XP windows and see if you can move the mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlans View Post
    Wheel_nut

I've just come across your post your reference to the mounting & unmounting of up to 4 devices.

Any chance I can have a copy of the two scripts ? I haven't been able to find whether you have posted them for others to use or not.

Thanks
    I have the Scripts working fine, if a little verbose as I have left some trace messages in them for dignostic purposes.

I would prefer to invoke the Scripts from the GUI rather than the Terminal but nobody has offered any help with this

Are you one of the people who PM'd me for this? Rather than sending out files myself, could one of the Mods advise me on the best way to post these on the site.
    I have the Scripts working fine, if a little verbose as I have left some trace messages in them for dignostic purposes.

I would prefer to invoke the Scripts from the GUI rather than the Terminal but nobody has offered any help with this

Are you one of the people who PM'd me for this? Rather than sending out files myself, could one of the Mods advise me on the best way to post these on the site.
    I think it would be great to have them easily invoked from a launcher rather than the error prone typing method, but that could come in due time.

In terms of posting them on this site then you could simply zip them, and attach them to a reply, which the user would need to unzip once downloaded. An alternative would be to add the '.txt' file extension (e.g. script.sh.txt) and attach them with instructions to change remove the '.txt' part using Internalz.

Hope this helps.

PS. I would also like to try your scripts and would be happy to provide feedback.
    Last edited by plgnply; 10/29/2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Add in the "PS." part
    This is a Place holder for me to attach the mountusb and dismountusb scripts.

Download the two files, DO NOT try to edit them using a Windows Text Editor.

RENAME THEM DROPPING THE .txt Extension and place them in your /usr/bin/ directory.

Make sure that you have Internalz Pro, Xecutah, Xserver and Xterm installed from Preware;

Open an Xterm window;

To get usage syntax help, type:

mountusb --help

- or -

dismountusb --help

OK, Files are attached. Knock yourselves out!
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 11/08/2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Removed the mountusb and dismountusb Scripts.
    jxrxblanchard likes this.
    Thanks Wheel_nut!! When I have a few moments I'll give them a shot and let you know the results. I appreciate your efforts in trying to make the mounting/dismounting of usb drive more automated and simple.
    Are you one of the people who PM'd me for this?
    I wasn't one of the people that PM'ed you but thanks for posting the scripts - they'll come in useful.
    Can we connect our NTFS hard disk?
    Quote Originally Posted by muhsingullu View Post
    Not yet, we need a fuse.ko module to do it. Anyone can build a fuse.ko module for webOS? Where can we find a tutorial how to build a module in webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by muhsingullu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post
    Not yet, we need a fuse.ko module to do it. Anyone can build a fuse.ko module for webOS? Where can we find a tutorial how to build a module in webOS?
    Muhsingullu and Hakkinen, Are you talking about Android?

Mods, If this is about Android on the TouchPad, should it be moved to a more appropriate place as it is confusing this discussion.