Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    This is wicked.
    It would be awesome if I was able to connect a card reader to the TouchPad and view all my pictures or videos on the Go! Keep up the great work guys!
    hmm will a self powered massive GB USB HD work for the likes of ubuntu then, i have several unused pocket sized ones doing lots of nothing atm ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    It would be awesome if I was able to connect a card reader to the TouchPad and view all my pictures or videos on the Go! Keep up the great work guys!
    This is what I was thinking too. Especially with the front page article saying there is code in webOS to mount a card.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Also looking forward to seeing if it's possible to connect a card reader. Finger crossed!
    hopefully a few more people can replicate the success. I'll give a few options a try when my device arrives next week.
    If devs can implement, it should be simple to get power to it... but I don't think my wife will let me crack open her touchpad to try just yet...
    This is pretty neat, but let's get some video of stuff that we can't already do in webOS:

Mouse use
    External hard drive or card reader
    etc.

A keyboard is a decent proof of concept, but we can obviously already connect Bluetooth ones. I'd like to see other uses, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A keyboard is a decent proof of concept, but we can obviously already connect Bluetooth ones. I'd like to see other uses, personally.
    It's hardly a proof of concept when no one can replicate it? I've tried countless things and nothing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    It's hardly a proof of concept when no one can replicate it? I've tried countless things and nothing at all.
    yep nothing works sorry guys.
    Well, I believe that there's a difference between a microUSB to USB cable and a USB OTG cable, did you take that into consideration?
    Well, I believe that there's a difference between a microUSB to USB cable and a USB OTG cable, did you take that into consideration?
    I'm fairly certain there isn't. It's just connects data+ to data+, data- to data-, 5v to 5v and gnd to gnd. What else is there for it to do?
    I'm fairly certain there isn't. It's just connects data+ to data+, data- to data-, 5v to 5v and gnd to gnd. What else is there for it to do?
    From what I've read, there's an extra pin to identify the host.
    MikeN68 likes this.
    the same setup works fine for my nook color in host mode.
    DD
    From what I've read, there's an extra pin to identify the host.
    No it's just 4 pins, 4 wires. 2 power + 2 data. In theory all you need to do is disconnect the power wires from the touchpad and connect them to a different source, such as a 5v PSU or a normal PC USB port. There really should be no need for the USB hub.

My theory is that either some keyboards are not recognised, or it's smoke and mirrors.
    _______________________________________________,- female to female -> Keyboard
    hp -> micro-usb -> female to female usb -> y cable --<
    ...........................................................................`-PC USB

Hope you get the idea. Basically tried y cable in both directions along with the keyboard into another device (my N900, swapping the hp for the N900) and had no issues with the configuration. Also tried a harddrive (didn't see anything pop up in /dev) and a mouse (not sure that was working to begin with.)
    From the looks of that you've wired it up the wrong way, looks like you're powering the device rather than the keyboard. Swap the keyboard and the device round and try that (apologies if you've already tried it)
    Oh, as an addition, anyone thought of getting simple and using a powered external hdd?
    larsoles likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    From the looks of that you've wired it up the wrong way, looks like you're powering the device rather than the keyboard. Swap the keyboard and the device round and try that (apologies if you've already tried it)
    tried y cable in both directions
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    DD

No it's just 4 pins, 4 wires. 2 power + 2 data. In theory all you need to do is disconnect the power wires from the touchpad and connect them to a different source, such as a 5v PSU or a normal PC USB port. There really should be no need for the USB hub.

My theory is that either some keyboards are not recognised, or it's smoke and mirrors.
    If that's the case, what's this (check under host negotiation protocol):

USB On-The-Go Basics - Maxim

I find it hard to believe that certain keyboards would be unsupported, since they all use the HID API. Then again, there's a standard for printers too and HP didn't seem to do it the easy way, so maybe they'll surprise me again here.
    ac921ol likes this.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast