Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 547
Like Tree67Likes
  1. #341  
    So does the power need to go to the TouchPad or to the external device, or both? It looks like there are working setups with the power going only to the TouchPad. I have an OTG cable on order, and I suspect I need one of these: New USB 2.0 Female to Dual USB A Male Power Y Cable | eBay to provide power to the TouchPad.
  2. #342  
    I can confirm that I was able to use the USB host mode and connect to:
    a) An external keyboard (just like the video described)
    b) A Flash drive (requires using xterm and mounting it!)
    c) A card reader (same as b)

    What I can't seem to get it to do is read directly off my Canon T2i DSLR. Now one would say... just use "b)" and get a card reader. Good plan, but all the card readers I have do not support my 16 GB SD card....so I will resort to getting one that can if that is the only solution.

    Just wondering if anyone else has managed to get their Touchpad to read directly from a DSLR?
  3. #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid_giraffe View Post
    I can confirm that I was able to use the USB host mode and connect to:
    a) An external keyboard (just like the video described)
    b) A Flash drive (requires using xterm and mounting it!)
    c) A card reader (same as b)

    What I can't seem to get it to do is read directly off my Canon T2i DSLR. Now one would say... just use "b)" and get a card reader. Good plan, but all the card readers I have do not support my 16 GB SD card....so I will resort to getting one that can if that is the only solution.

    Just wondering if anyone else has managed to get their Touchpad to read directly from a DSLR?
    Exactly the same conclusion with a Canon Powershot S95
  4. #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbr View Post
    So does the power need to go to the TouchPad or to the external device, or both? It looks like there are working setups with the power going only to the TouchPad. I have an OTG cable on order, and I suspect I need one of these: New USB 2.0 Female to Dual USB A Male Power Y Cable | eBay to provide power to the TouchPad.
    Yes, everything from the MicroUSB plug to the TouchPad to the device you are trying to connect has to have the +5V and Gnd connected.

    I don't like the Y Cable solution because the Power spur cable is too short and the dependent device cable is far too long. I prefer the 4 port hub solution just now but I am working on a more elegant solution to connect just ONE dependent device to the TouchPad. .... but you will have to wait about two weeks for that.
  5. #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Yes, everything from the MicroUSB plug to the TouchPad to the device you are trying to connect has to have the +5V and Gnd connected.

    I don't like the Y Cable solution because the Power spur cable is too short and the dependent device cable is far too long. I prefer the 4 port hub solution just now but I am working on a more elegant solution to connect just ONE dependent device to the TouchPad. .... but you will have to wait about two weeks for that.
    Wheelnut thanks for the update but I have to say that now I'm confused when I compare the parts list to the diagram you attached. There is an OTG cable going to the hub. The hub has 4 ports, one of them has a memory card adapter with a memory card inserted into to. That I get. The battery backup supplies 5V via usb. OK on that too.

    Then there is a usb converter cable that goes INTO the hub from the battery? According to the pic on the ebay site that sells that hub (the link you provided) there is no such a connector on the hub. Did you take the hub apart and rewire it? And then do a cutout on the hub case to route a wire outside so you could connect the battery to it? Did the rewiring somehow direct 5V onto the usb connector that went from the hub to the OTG/TP to force the TP into host mode?

    Am I missing something here?
  6. #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    I have annotated my post with eBay source information.

    p.s. I have an even more elegant solution but it will be two weeks before the parts get here from Hong Kong.

    Waiting to see this.
  7. gyhor's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid_giraffe View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has managed to get their Touchpad to read directly from a DSLR?
    Most Cameras have two USB-Modes:
    a) USB Massstorage
    b) USB PTP Mode
    You have to change the mode to a) to get it working (if it is possible).
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    Wheelnut thanks for the update but I have to say that now I'm confused when I compare the parts list to the diagram you attached. There is an OTG cable going to the hub. The hub has 4 ports, one of them has a memory card adapter with a memory card inserted into to. That I get. The battery backup supplies 5V via usb. OK on that too.

    Then there is a usb converter cable that goes INTO the hub from the battery?
    :

    Am I missing something here?
    "I had to adapt the white USB Cable to fit the Power coaxial input to the Hub."

    Rickybaby, is that the sentence that you missed ;-)

    Although I would think he probably could have used an audio cable instead, because the USB connector is only for power, as I see it.

    But I'm curious about the battery - 5V from one AA?
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeighWatt View Post
    "I had to adapt the white USB Cable to fit the Power coaxial input to the Hub."

    Rickybaby, is that the sentence that you missed ;-)
    Yes, the Hub has a Coaxial Power Socket at the opposite end from the USB Plug. It is smsller than the Nokia 3.5mm plug and larger than the Nokia 2.0mm plug. I have a plug from one of those multi-voltage mains adapters which fits it but chose to connect the USB flying lead directly to the PCB. My next iteration is to sacrifice one of the six leads that came with the "Emergency AA Power Supply" and connect that to the PCB.

    Although I would think he probably could have used an audio cable instead, because the USB connector is only for power, as I see it.
    Yes, if you can find an audio lead with a 2.5mm 2-Pole jack on one end and a coaxial plug on the other end, with correct polarity, that would work. For me, it is much easier to get the soldering iron out .....

    You could however power the Hub by using the USB A Male to USB A Male adapter into one of the four Hub Sockets.

    But I'm curious about the battery - 5V from one AA?
    It is a very clever d.c. to d.c. converter, converting 1.5V d.c to 5V d.c built into the perspex cap of the AA Battery Holder. ... and all for a couple of bucks!

    Regarding the (even) more elegant solution, it currently requires some soldering but produces a single unit which plugs directly into the TouchPad MicroUSB socket and allows ONE USB Mass Storage device to be plugged into the unit. Will get on it when the parts arrive from Hong Kong.
    dectech likes this.
  10. #350  
    All,

    Need help on this usb host mode support.

    I actually ordered dealextreme OTG converters and tried them along with USB hub and no success.

    I then ordered the OP's referenced cable (Female USB to OTG connector) and USB hub and no luck. Also my touchpad hangs and i cant click on any of the apps or icons.. it freezes..

    I did the following connections.

    1. USB Hub connected to power supply using its adapter (output of adapter is 5v and 500mA)
    2. USB hub came with a USB cable (printer cable). so plugged one end of the cable to the hub.
    3. Plug the other end of this USB cable to OTG cable
    4. Plug OTG micro usb end to the touchpad
    5. Connect the USB keyboard to the hub.

    I tried to input using USB keyboard in the Just type field but the touchpad keyboard doesnt minimize automatically and doesnt recognize my keyboard.

    Also my touchpad behaves weird. It froze. I was unable to click on the launcher button or any app.

    One i disconnected the OTG cable from the touchpad, then touchpad started responding..

    Am i missing something. Please Help.
  11. #351  
    I did the following connections.

    1. USB Hub connected to power supply using its adapter (output of adapter is 5v and 500mA)
    2. USB hub came with a USB cable (printer cable). so plugged one end of the cable to the hub.
    3. Plug the other end of this USB cable to OTG cable
    4. Plug OTG micro usb end to the touchpad
    5. Connect the USB keyboard to the hub.
    I think what is missing is that there also needs to be power on the 'printer cable' side of the hub. I presume that the 'printer cable' has USB-A on one end (plugged into the OTA cable), and a USB-B on the other end (more square than rectangular if full sized and not a mini-B or a micro-B).

    The lesson that I learned is that part of what is important is to supply power through the OTG cable independently of whether or not the USB hub is powered (which it may have to be, but my point is that the hub isn't always necessary, while the +5 V *on the OTG cable to the Touchpad* is.

    That +5 V also goes to the USB-B side of the hub, *which may be how the hub knows that a computer is connected.*
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeighWatt View Post
    I think what is missing is that there also needs to be power on the 'printer cable' side of the hub. I presume that the 'printer cable' has USB-A on one end (plugged into the OTA cable), and a USB-B on the other end (more square than rectangular if full sized and not a mini-B or a micro-B).

    The lesson that I learned is that part of what is important is to supply power through the OTG cable independently of whether or not the USB hub is powered (which it may have to be, but my point is that the hub isn't always necessary, while the +5 V *on the OTG cable to the Touchpad* is.

    That +5 V also goes to the USB-B side of the hub, *which may be how the hub knows that a computer is connected.*
    Hi Seighwatt,

    Thanks for your feedback and i am sorry that i couldnt really get what you mean. Do you mean to say that the USB-B of the printer cable (Yes it is squarish plug on one side and rectagular on the other side. So i am connecting OTG cable to the rectangular side and squarish side connected to HUB) might not be getting power and that could be the reason that its not working??
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Hi Seighwatt,

    Thanks for your feedback and i am sorry that i couldnt really get what you mean. Do you mean to say that the USB-B of the printer cable (Yes it is squarish plug on one side and rectagular on the other side. So i am connecting OTG cable to the rectangular side and squarish side connected to HUB) might not be getting power and that could be the reason that its not working??
    Also do you by any chance know on why my touchpad is getting frozen when i made the connection and becomes un-usable.
  14. #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Hi Seighwatt,

    Thanks for your feedback and i am sorry that i couldnt really get what you mean. Do you mean to say that the USB-B of the printer cable (Yes it is squarish plug on one side and rectagular on the other side. So i am connecting OTG cable to the rectangular side and squarish side connected to HUB) might not be getting power and that could be the reason that its not working??
    Looks to me like you need to give yourself more credit. You've understood it perfectly!

    Along the same lines, here's a quote from an earlier post in this thread by Rickybaby:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    The hub you are using must be putting 5v back to the TP I've been looking for one of those cause they are not advertised as such.
    Frankly, I'm surprised if Wheel_nut didn't modify his USB hub to do that. My understanding of the USB spec is that power *always* comes from the USB-A side of the circuit. That's why people are using the Y-cable to inject power - normally the Touchpad is a USB-B device that supplies no power. But we are rigging it to act like a USB-A device, because *some* of the circuitry for that happens to be available in the Touchpad. Alas, the power part of the circuit either isn't there, or no-one knows how to activate it easily.
  15. #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Also do you by any chance know on why my touchpad is getting frozen when i made the connection and becomes un-usable.
    Not specifically - my guess is that it is just confused.
  16. #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeighWatt View Post

    Frankly, I'm surprised if Wheel_nut didn't modify his USB hub to do that. My understanding of the USB spec is that power *always* comes from the USB-A side of the circuit. That's why people are using the Y-cable to inject power - normally the Touchpad is a USB-B device that supplies no power. But we are rigging it to act like a USB-A device, because *some* of the circuitry for that happens to be available in the Touchpad. Alas, the power part of the circuit either isn't there, or no-one knows how to activate it easily.

    No, I have NOT modified the internals of the Hub I use. The +5V and Gnd buses are common between the upstream, downstream and the power input ports on that Hub.

    I believe that the instability seen by Ppvsp is caused by the Hub loading the D+ and D- lines. I have seen this when trying to use an unmodified Car Charger to charge the TouchPad.This is documented in that thread in the Accessories forum. Without examining your Hub, it is impossible for me to diagnose the issue. The parts I am using are sooooo cheap; I suggest you try them.
  17. #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    No, I have NOT modified the internals of the Hub I use. The +5V and Gnd buses are common between the upstream, downstream and the power input ports on that Hub.

    I believe that the instability seen by Ppvsp is caused by the Hub loading the D+ and D- lines. I have seen this when trying to use an unmodified Car Charger to charge the TouchPad.This is documented in that thread in the Accessories forum. Without examining your Hub, it is impossible for me to diagnose the issue. The parts I am using are sooooo cheap; I suggest you try them.
    Thank you Seigwatt and Wheelnut for your comments.

    I am using the following parts..

    1. HUB - 7 Port USB 2.0 High-Speed HUB Powered + AC Adapter Free | eBay
    2. OTG cable - New micro USB to USB Female Cable USB-OTG N900 | eBay

    I have the same setup and issue as described in this thread with post #268. But as per the guy "jfstiefel" this same setup seems to work. Strange..

    Connections i did.

    1. Plug USB hub to computer using printer cable (supplied with hub) or using the power adapter
    2. Plug the usb keyboard to the hub
    3. I have a USB-A male - USB-A male plug. So i connected one end to the hub
    3. Other end of this USB-A TO USB-A connected to the OTG cable USB-A female
    4. Plug the micro usb end of the OTG cable to touchpad

    Doesnt work at all. I also have the dealextreme.com adapters (Wheelnut - this is what you described as cheap parts that you ordered and only one worked) and they also didnt work.

    One strange thing i noticed is, when i connected the printer cable to my computer to power the HUB, my computer says the USB device connected has malfunctioned and can not recognize it. But my HUB is powered. My touchpad doesnt freeze with this setup but keyboard not recognized.

    But if i connect the power adapter to the HUB and keep the other connections (with out the printer cable to power the HUB), after i connect OTG cable to touchpad, my touchpad freezes and i am unable to click on any app or if i touch any thing on my touchpad my touchpad behaves weird (sometimes open up some app which i havent clicked or enables airplane mode etc). This is the same issue described in #268

    I am not sure whether this is the problem with the HUB or OTG cable or my USB-A to USB-A cable.

    Also i tried the other connections with USB Y cable..

    1. connect the HUB to computer using printer cable or power it with adapter
    2. I had a Y cable with ALL USB-A ends on all three ends.
    2. connect Y cable (thin cable) to the HUB (to supply power)
    3. Connect the main thick cable one end of the USB-A to OTG cable
    4. Connect the other end of the thick USB-A cable to HUB
    5. Connect the USB keyboard to HUB
    6. connect the OTG to touchpad

    This also didnt work.. Sorry for troubling you guys.. But am trying my best to get things workout..

    I am uploading some photos of my connections and cable
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Also do you by any chance know on why my touchpad is getting frozen when i made the connection and becomes un-usable.
    EDIT
    I had not seen your previous reply above when submitting this reply because I was typing . Sorry if my post here is irrelevant or confuses matters.
    END-EDIT

    I have seen electronics do weird things when snug connections are not made. I also bought the dealextreme otg adapters (pair) and found that their male end (micro side) is not sufficient length due to the rubber extending too far up the plug. I used a little pocket knife to trim back the soft rubber about 1-1.5 mm which allows it to make a snug connection (you'll know by the familiar 'click' when plugging in the OTG adapter). Since you should have got 2 adapters you might try trimming one back a little bit. Start by comparing the length of the dealextreme micro-end to the official HP charging cable micro-end so you'll know how much to trim.

    Another thought would be the actual keyboard used. I wonder what kind of recognition issues could arise from using a "sophisticated" multimedia keyboard vs a standard usb Dell keyboard (or similar). Are you using a fairly "dumb" keyboard?

    I have been able to use mount and browse a USB flash drive using parts that cost ~$7:
    -dealextreme otg adapter (came with 2 adapters) ($2.19 @ dealextreme)
    -USB Y-cable for power "injection" ($2.84 @ amazon)
    -AA battery emergency phone charger ($2.75 @ ebay)

    I have not tried a keyboard with this setup but when I get my TP back from warranty service I will give it a go just to see.
  19. #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Also i tried the other connections with USB Y cable..
    Since you have a USB Y cable, why not try a more simplistic approach:

    -Keyboard to female end of Y cable (hope you have a female end on your Y cable)
    -Power end of Y cable to computer for power only (thin wire side)
    -Main USB male end of Y cable to female end of OTG adapter
    -OTG micro end to TP

    This will exclude your hub from the scenario to see if that's what's causing you troubles.
  20. #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
    Since you have a USB Y cable, why not try a more simplistic approach:

    -Keyboard to female end of Y cable (hope you have a female end on your Y cable)
    -Power end of Y cable to computer for power only (thin wire side)
    -Main USB male end of Y cable to female end of OTG adapter
    -OTG micro end to TP

    This will exclude your hub from the scenario to see if that's what's causing you troubles.
    Hi Plgnply,

    Thanks for the update. I dont have a femable usb on my Y cable. I have the male to female converter and i will test it tomorrow and let u know the result.

    I did try to connect the hub to my laptop and connected the keyboard to the hub and my laptop recognized the keyboard (the keyboard is LIT) and i was able to type using my keyboard. So i dont think this is problem with HUB. Not sure whats exactly the issue is.

    I tried again with the other OTG cable what i have shown in my pictures (black OTG female to microusb male) and connected it to hub and touchpad. But still touchpad didnt recognize it..

    Also i am not sure whether the keyboard is dumb or not. This keyboard has all the basic keys with media buttons.. (DELL U473D)
    Last edited by ppvsp; 10/25/2011 at 07:34 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions