Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman1 View Post
    Let me clear some fog I have.. Is the original HP cable supplied with the TP an OTG with 4-5 bridged, or just a micro USB with pin 4 disconnected?
    NO it is NOT an OTG Cable. It is a standard MicroUSB to USB Type A Cable - No Bridge between pins 4&5.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/13/2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Good News Everyone! Guy on Russian webOS forums posted some intrigue info about TouchPad USB capabilities.

TP USB host demo video:

TP USB host demo video (in Russian):

sorry i couldnt resist.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    Try the commands below: (this has been tested for an external hard drive)
    1. To check that the device is being detected:
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    if it isn't detected you will just see:
    Attached devices:
    but if it is you will see something after that.
    2. To check where the device is mounted in /dev:
    dmesg | grep sd
    You should see alot of stuff but look for "sdd: sdb1" but sdb1 could be replaced with sda1, sdc1, sdb1...etc.

Then use the "sdb1" for in the mount command.

I hope that helps.
    nothing after Attached devices.. I think it is because Touchpad doesn't support my card reader, will try it later whether it works on a usb thumb....

last question: can we connect anything we like if we install android( like xoom or galaxy tab)?
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_choi_2007 View Post
    nothing after Attached devices.. I think it is because Touchpad doesn't support my card reader, will try it later whether it works on a usb thumb....

last question: can we connect anything we like if we install android( like xoom or galaxy tab)?
    Play with the OTG plug because you should NOT see the charge thing pop up. The screen shouldn't light up. I couldn't get it to work but played with my plug until it showed up. The OTG plug I got appears to be touchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    Play with the OTG plug because you should NOT see the charge thing pop up. The screen shouldn't light up. I couldn't get it to work but played with my plug until it showed up. The OTG plug I got appears to be touchy.
    My screen doesn't light up, and already tried more than 20 times, still not working
    Mooman and Roi_choi,

I received the MicroUSB to USB A Female OTG adapters today. These are the unitary construction ones with no cable and are sold in packs of 2.

Having tested them, it seems that ONE works correctly as an OTG adapter but the other is a standard (Non-OTG) adapter suitable for charging the TouchPad.

I have queried the seller and await a response. I have seen these listed as "One of each type" but mine were specified as 2 x USB OTG Adapters.

Update: I didn't get any sensible reply from the seller other than an offer of a full refund.

This may explain why some of you are seeing the charging message rather than being able to mount it as a sda1 device.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/19/2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Update:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Mooman and Roi_choi,

I received the MicroUSB to USB A Female OTG adapters today. These are the unitary construction ones with no cable and are sold in packs of 2.

Having tested them, it seems that ONE works correctly as an OTG adapter but the other is a standard (Non-OTG) adapter suitable for charging the TouchPad.

I have queried the seller and await a response. I have seen these listed as "One of each type" but mine were specified as 2 x USB ORG Adapters.

This may explain why some of you are seeing the charging message rather than being able to mount it as a sda1 device.

My problem seems 'solved' now. I opened up those cheap chicom unitary adapters and the pcb work and connections are terrible. I redid everything and now they work as per the dealxtreme ad. I've put one of my TPs into Android, and got interesting msgs. Please confirm this is 'right' operation :

in android 'settings->about tablet->status' Battery Status is 'charging (USB)' if I use standard HP cable into a desktop USB port. Battery Status is 'charging (AC)' if I use HP barrel PSU. So far so good. If I put one of my prebought, supposedly OTG cables, or the fixed up unitary adapters in the TP, then run it to the desktop USB, the Battery Status is 'discharging' no matter what cable combo I try. You mentioned earlier in PrivMsg that an OTG with 4-5 shorted won't allow charge mode. Does seeing 'discharging' in android imply that my OTG cable is indeed in correct mode for TP to see a kb/usb stick?

Also, maybe this means I've misread the WebOS msg, but when i get the 'USB Drive' or 'Just Charge' msg, and pick Just Charge, the battery will go down while connected to my desktop. I was assuming HP really meant if you want to charge, use the charger.. BUT, in android mode, I've simultaneously got a working USB mass storage device, AND battery status says 'Charging (USB)' and the battery level has not gone down in two hours. Do you know if HP/WebOS just disables the charging circuit when in USB Drive mode.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm sure your answers will help everyone.
    Thanks much Wheel_nut
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman1 View Post
    My problem seems 'solved' now. I opened up those cheap chicom unitary adapters and the pcb work and connections are terrible. I redid everything and now they work as per the dealxtreme ad. :
    Yes, One of my OTG Cables has gone intermittent too. I think these things are made in cottage industries and that would explain the price which is often less than the postage stamps on the packet.

I've put one of my TPs into Android, and got interesting msgs. Please confirm this is 'right' operation in android 'settings->about tablet->status' Battery Status is 'charging (USB)' if I use standard HP cable into a desktop USB port. Battery Status is 'charging (AC)' if I use HP barrel PSU. So far so good. If I put one of my prebought, supposedly OTG cables, or the fixed up unitary adapters in the TP, then run it to the desktop USB, the Battery Status is 'discharging' no matter what cable combo I try. You mentioned earlier in PrivMsg that an OTG with 4-5 shorted won't allow charge mode. Does seeing 'discharging' in android imply that my OTG cable is indeed in correct mode for TP to see a kb/usb stick?
    Whereas the sensing for OTG Mode is on the Plug (Socket), the functional switching is done in the OS. WebOS inhibits Charging in OTG mode but it is possible that Android enables it.

Also, maybe this means I've misread the WebOS msg, but when i get the 'USB Drive' or 'Just Charge' msg, and pick Just Charge, the battery will go down while connected to my desktop. I was assuming HP really meant if you want to charge, use the charger.. BUT, in android mode, I've simultaneously got a working USB mass storage device, AND battery status says 'Charging (USB)' and the battery level has not gone down in two hours. Do you know if HP/WebOS just disables the charging circuit when in USB Drive mode.
    This is a Looooong answer but in a nutshell, the charging current (within the limits of the ability of the source to provide it) is controlled by the state of the Data+ and Data- lines. See my posts on this subject in this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-6.html

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm sure your answers will help everyone.
    Thanks much Wheel_nut
    .... makes it worth the effort if it does
    Mooman and Roi_choi,

I have queried the seller and await a response. I have seen these listed as "One of each type" but mine were specified as 2 x USB ORG Adapters.

That would make sense. That might be why I have to move it around so much. I guess I will take and have to make a mini project box/stand out of this.
    Yes, One of my OTG Cables has gone intermittent too. I think these things are made in cottage industries and that would explain the price which is often less than the postage stamps on the packet.

Whereas the sensing for OTG Mode is on the Plug (Socket), the functional switching is done in the OS. WebOS inhibits Charging in OTG mode but it is possible that Android enables it.

This is a Looooong answer but in a nutshell, the charging current (within the limits of the ability of the source to provide it) is controlled by the state of the Data+ and Data- lines. See my posts on this subject in this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-6.html

.... makes it worth the effort if it does
    Hmm.. things are getting interesting or stranger depending on how you look at it.. I connected the power only part of the Y cable to a powered hub and then into normal HP cable.. Android now says 'Charging (AC)' and my hub is getting noticeably warmer. If I now plug the maleA data part of the Y into another port, I get nothing recognized on the PC or the USB icon on the TP. This would normally work as it would be the normal configuration for a pocket USB HD. If I plug in power port and usb port and then connect the TP, I get a USB icon and 'Charging (USB)' and the hub does not get hot.

Next experiment: at the risk of my hub, I chained two Y cables to pull 1000mA from the hub and put it into the TP. Hub is definitely warm, but TP is charging faster (+2%, with screen on, in 5 minutes). USB charging can't do that with the screen on.

And one last thing since USB mode won't turn on once Android says 'charging (AC)'. I plugged in one of the two 'data' maleA into the hub.. giving me 1500mA available. I'll measure the TP for next 15 minutes or so and see if it is getting more juice. I'm hoping that 'Charging (AC)' does not mean 'try and draw 2.0A', but I'll know soon enough!

I'm thinking the TP does not even bother with USB data communications once it is 'faked' into AC mode.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    with xterm , and "dmesg" command :

use "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb" instead of "mount /dev/sd 1/media/internal/usb" which is wrong.
    Jumping on the Bandwagon here...

Having issues mounting and definitely need some help. I have RTFT and have tried pretty much everything that was previously stated, and still getting the "no such file or directory" error.

Here is the complete setup :

OTG micro USB to Female USB A
    USB Male A to USB MALE/Female Passthrough and Y to Mini USB
    Using the TP Barrel PSU

Dell USB Keyboard -> Works OK !

Disconnect the Micro USB cable from the TP
    Connect Fat formatted Thumbdrive to USB female end, Drive lights up
    Connect Micro USB back in TP USB Thumb drive flashes for a few seconds then steady light
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Drive is being seen
    dmesg |grep sd
    Drive appears as sda, sda1
    try to mount with the following command :
    mount dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    no such file or directory

I have created a usb directory in /media/internal/
    it is not hidden, and I can see it in both x-term and Internalz

I have also tried with my Pre2 in USB disk mode, same thing. It appears as recognized in the cat /proc/scsi/scsi command but same results
    2 other thumb drives have the same behaviour.

Folder attributes for the "/media/internal/usb" folder are : Hidden (not checked), Mask from webOS (not checked), Read Only (Not checked).

If someone can help on how to grab the output from x-term I can post here the results for any of the commands.

Any ideas?
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Quote Originally Posted by RICKV View Post
    try to mount with the following command :
    mount dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    no such file or directory

I have created a usb directory in /media/internal/
    it is not hidden, and I can see it in both x-term and Internalz
    mmm...
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    knownboyofno likes this.
    well I'll be damned...

Really need to get some new glasses... and take my time reading!

Thank's NB...
    Last edited by RICKV; 10/19/2011 at 02:59 PM.
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

dectech likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbug View Post
    use "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb" instead of "mount /dev/sd 1/media/internal/usb" which is wrong.

thank you , I had not seen the error
    Quote Originally Posted by xtro83 View Post
    thank you , I had not seen the error
    .... That is why I have written two Scripts:

mountusb

# Usage:
    # mountusb -h | --help | [-s sdevice] [-d dir]
    #
    # Options:
    # -h, --help Display this help message and exit.
    # -s system device - sda1 sdb1 |sdc1 |sdd1
    # -d destination directory - usb1 | usb2 | usb3 |usb4
    #
    # If no arguments are specified,
    # Program defaults to Device sda1 and Destination
    # Directory /media/internal/usb1

dismountusb

# Usage:
    # dismountusb -h | --help [-s sdevice] [-d dir]
    #
    # Options:
    # -h, --help Display this help message and exit.
    # -s system device - sda1 | sdb1 |sdc1 |sdd1
    # -d directory to be removed - usba | usbb | usbc |usbd
    #
    # If no arguments are specified,
    # Program defaults to Device sda1 and Destination
    # Directory is left in /media/internal/

I have written it to allow the mounting and dismounting of up to four devices. This is because I use a 4 port USB Hub.

Now, does anybody know how to invoke a Script from an Icon on the GUI?
    Sorry for interupt.

But can somobody write one to one how to usb drive mounting?
    I have got 2,5 external hdd what can I do for mounting? Please tell me like you tell like your mom.

And how can I mount the usb disk in Android too? I mean Alpha release. Will I write terminal something or automatically mounting in Android?

Please help me like you help a stupid man. Please write How can I do Webos and how can I do Android?

I mean please write like this

1-) Plug in to bla bla
    2-) Plug in to bla bla
    3-) Write terminal to bla bla
    4-) Go internalz pro bla bla blah

Thanks for your answer and care. Sorry for my English. I hope you understand. I read all 16 pages. But still I don't understand exactly what can I do.
    Try reading the first post on page 14.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    it can't find the file, the file is however well established , I don't understand , the syntax is ok ....