Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    All these are not working with my touchpad. My touchpad cannot recognise my card reader even I type the correct "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb"( keep saying no such file). I already used all the OTG, Y-cable and external battery. Very frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_choi_2007 View Post
    All these are not working with my touchpad. My touchpad cannot recognise my card reader even I type the correct "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb"( keep saying no such file). I already used all the OTG, Y-cable and external battery. Very frustrated.
    I have the same problem. I've tried two different (and recommended from here) OTG and Y cables. I can't even get the TP to charge using OTG2female then into a male-male cable into the normal TP charger.
    Did you create the usb folder under /media/internal ?

Did you follow the connection sequence?

Was there a Card in the Card Reader?

Was the Card Reader "lit up" when you plugged the OTG Cable into the TouchPad?

Did you try powering the Y Cable from the TouchPad Barrel PSU rather than your Battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post

Did you try powering the Y Cable from the TouchPad Barrel PSU rather than your Battery?
    yes, /media/internal/usb exists

yes, 8GB USB stick in SD2USB converter

reader does not light up

Using TP PSU

New USB 2.0 Female to Dual USB A Male Power Y Cable | eBay is my cable. the middle (male) connector in the pic appears to have a slightly smaller wire than the others. I am assuming this is the power only port.
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman1 View Post
    yes, /media/internal/usb exists

yes, 8GB USB stick in SD2USB converter

reader does not light up

Using TP PSU

New USB 2.0 Female to Dual USB A Male Power Y Cable | eBay is my cable. the middle (male) connector in the pic appears to have a slightly smaller wire than the others. I am assuming this is the power only port.
    Ah! The penny drops.

I have had problems with SD Card to USB adapters. I have about 30 of these from three different sources and only about a third of them work with the OTG Cables. They all work fine when plugged into a Hub or native port but only a small proportion work with the OTG Cable.

I suggest you try it with a USB Thumb Drive,

Mooman1, yes, the thinner of the two Male USB A cables is the Power connector. This plug has only pins 1 & 4 connected to the main USB A Plugs.

yes

yes

yes

yes

no, I used Emergency AA Battery Mobile Phone Charger
    Ah! The penny drops.

I have had problems with SD Card to USB adapters. I have about 30 of these from three different sources and only about a third of them work with the OTG Cables. They all work fine when plugged into a Hub or native port but only a small proportion work with the OTG Cable.

I suggest you try it with a USB Thumb Drive,

Mooman1, yes, the thinner of the two Male USB A cables is the Power connector. This plug has only pins 1 & 4 connected to the main USB A Plugs.

Just tried a 1GB and 2GB USB stick.. no lights. Dell USB keyboard does not work either (I was hoping to use that so I didn't have to type mount commands everytime).

I was lucky enough to get two TP at firesale. Neither work. I have 2 OTG cables (different brands), and two Y cables and have now tried all eight combos.. It is not a bad wire

I really would be happy to be able to use the OTG2female and then a maleA-maleA cable to charge and goto USB drive mode in order to not keep having to plug things into the TP USB. This won't work either, on either TP I have. Maybe that is a clue.

I'm running uberkernal at 1.5GHZ, but I think I tried this on stock 3.0.2 also.

no, I used Emergency AA Battery Mobile Phone Charger
    Try using the TouchPad PSU for Power. I have the usb emergency power supply on order but haven't received it yet so cannot verify that it works. But, I know that the USB Power from my Laptop USB port and the TouchPad PSU both work with an OTG Cable and USB Y cable.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/12/2011 at 01:32 PM.
    I really would be happy to be able to use the OTG2female and then a maleA-maleA cable to charge and goto USB drive mode in order to not keep having to plug things into the TP USB.
    In my experience, The LAST operation HAS to be the OTG MicroUSB plug into the TouchPad. This works every time for me.
    In my experience, The LAST operation HAS to be the OTG MicroUSB plug into the TouchPad. This works every time for me.

I go TP->OTG2FemaleA->MaleA(2 foot length)->MaleA->HP Barrel Supply

I picked up a '5 pin micro usb to Male A' at Dollar Tree for (doh) $1 and it seems to work in all the cases that the real HP cable does, so I think there is nothing special about the HP cable. Is '5 pin micro USB' synonymous with 'OTG micro' ?

If I plug the smaller diameter cable MaleA from the Y adapter into the HP PSU (as listed above, and the HP cable into the female part of the Y, and the other end of the HP into the TP OTG, shouldn't that say 'charging battery' ?

Ah.. I just tried that.. I get a msg on the TP :

Device May Not Charge as the touchpad is connected to a source that provides less than suggested voltage or current.

BUT, if I plug the other MaleA into the HP PSU, the TP is happy! Maybe there is an inline diode or something in these Y cables??
    I go TP->OTG2FemaleA->MaleA(2 foot length)->MaleA->HP Barrel Supply

I picked up a '5 pin micro usb to Male A' at Dollar Tree for (doh) $1 and it seems to work in all the cases that the real HP cable does, so I think there is nothing special about the HP cable. Is '5 pin micro USB' synonymous with 'OTG micro' ?
    Try RTFT.

You need a MicroUSB OTG Cable.
    Try using the TouchPad PSU for Power. I have the usb emergency power supply on order but haven't received it yet so cannot verify that it works. But, I know that the USB Power from my Laptop USB port and the TouchPad PSU both work with an OTG Cable and USB Y cable.

I will try it today, thanks
    Received USB OTG cable purchased on ebay - check.
    Sacrificed 2 dead USB mice (for 2x male) & snagged old computer slot USB input connector (for female - see picture from posting #61) to fashion a Y cable - check.

Tried keyboard - it works.
    Tried keyboard thru hub - it works.
    Tried usb drive (mount ... umount) - it works.
    Tried mouse - it didn't work. Is that expected???

Thanks,
    --Antonio
    Tried, still not working.
    Try RTFT.

You need a MicroUSB OTG Cable.
    That's the cable I have. If I hadn't RTFT I wouldn't be asking, since you keep saying these setups should work. I am trying to determine if I have a bad TP or bad cables. That is why I've bought 2 or 3 of everything. I know how to troubleshoot, but nothing has fallen out as 'bad' yet. The Y cable that gives the 'low current' msg on the TP works fine to power an external HD when used with my laptop. I suppose I'll have to pull out the ohmmeter this weekend and work it all out the old fashioned way.

I'll make up a Y cable like mangledlftthumb mentioned. Give me a reason to break out the boxes of 'stuff' I keep from old computer builds.

EDIT: I've just gotten these in from HK, which work out of the box according to the original thread on xda-developers.. It does not work for me LINK : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-u...ter-pair-50774
    Last edited by mooman1; 10/13/2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Mooman1, Your "OTG" cable is not behaving correctly. Let me explain why:

When a MicroUSB Male Plug with pins 4&5 bridged is inserted into the TouchPad, the Pin1 (+5V) does not appear on the TouchPad SOCKET. This prevents the TouchPad being charged. I have a non-OTG MicroUSB to Female A USB Cable which looks the same but does allow charging because pins 4&5 are not bridged. Get your Multimeter out and check your cable.

I have a pair of those adapters on order from HK but they haven't arrived yet so I can't check them for you. BTW, I don't like those adapters because they stick out to far and a bump will break the TouchPad socket internally. I prefer the right angled cable variety.

My preferred setup is the 99p hub eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace plugged into the right-angled OTG Cable and the Power coaxial socket connected with a flying lead to any USB Socket. ( or alternatively to eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace though I have yet to receive it and verify that it works).
    dectech likes this.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mangledlftthumb View Post
    Received USB OTG cable purchased on ebay - check.
    Sacrificed 2 dead USB mice (for 2x male) & snagged old computer slot USB input connector (for female - see picture from posting #61) to fashion a Y cable - check.

Tried keyboard - it works.
    Tried keyboard thru hub - it works.
    Tried usb drive (mount ... umount) - it works.
    Tried mouse - it didn't work. Is that expected???

Thanks,
    --Antonio
    mice don't work yet so you're golden.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Since the CM7's alpha is out, a question: is there a way to mount things in Android?
    Mooman1, Your "OTG" cable is not behaving correctly. Let me explain why:

When a MicroUSB Male Plug with pins 4&5 bridged is inserted into the TouchPad, the Pin1 (+5V) does not appear on the TouchPad SOCKET. This prevents the TouchPad being charged. I have a non-OTG MicroUSB to Female A USB Cable which looks the same but does allow charging because pins 4&5 are not bridged. Get your Multimeter out and check your cable.

I have a pair of those adapters on order from HK but they haven't arrived yet so I can't check them for you. BTW, I don't like those adapters because they stick out to far and a bump will break the TouchPad socket internally. I prefer the right angled cable variety.
    Let me clear some fog I have.. Is the original HP cable supplied with the TP an OTG with 4-5 bridged, or just a micro USB with pin 4 disconnected? Also, I saw somewhere that the HP barrel supply had pins 2-3 bridged with a resistor. If that bridge inside the HP charger is why I'm getting the 'low current' msg when trying to charge with the power only part of the Y cable, is the TP really going to charge at a lower rate, or is the msg just a warning to use 'real' HP parts?
    Tried, still not working.
    Try the commands below: (this has been tested for an external hard drive)
    1. To check that the device is being detected:
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    if it isn't detected you will just see:
    Attached devices:
    but if it is you will see something after that.
    2. To check where the device is mounted in /dev:
    dmesg | grep sd
    You should see alot of stuff but look for "sdd: sdb1" but sdb1 could be replaced with sda1, sdc1, sdb1...etc.

Then use the "sdb1" for in the mount command.

I hope that helps.