Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    I really liked izzeho's adapter so I thought I'd make one too. I used a Lilypad power supply because it boost a AAA battery to 5v with a female usb connector hooked up to male micro usb connector. It works perfectly
    Click to view quoted image
    can you flip the device in the photo for a better look at the connections...
    i have tried every mount cmd there is but no luck. it says no such file or directory. i know it works because i can get my keyboard to work with it. but no usb. any help?

edit: sorry i got it. using mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb -t vfat caused my usb to flash more for some reason and i try the original mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb and worked perfectly. tested using ls /media/internal/usb
    Last edited by bryantjopplin; 10/03/2011 at 10:40 PM.
    I hot glued all the connections so you really can't see anything but I just connected the corresponding usb connections together and supplied the power to the power connection on the usb. Also snorted out the 4 and 5 pins so it can get recognized by the touchpad
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    I hot glued all the connections so you really can't see anything but I just connected the corresponding usb connections together and supplied the power to the power connection on the usb. Also snorted out the 4 and 5 pins so it can get recognized by the touchpad
    Saw the tiny soldering thing and red wire at one corner ... Lol

Anyone has any luck getting their mouse working yet?

In dosbox, mouse cursor shows up but not responsive to the one I am using.
    In ubuntu, same story.
    Trying to toy with mouse.ko
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 10/04/2011 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spyroks View Post
    With 4 rechargeable batteries even 5 hours, depending on usage of course, would be great, but it's just a guess. I hope it works, I can't seem to find anything similar, meaning self powered so you can take it with you fully charged and use with thumb drives, card readers and so on...

I haven't bought one of these, but you might try this:

Solar Powered Battery + 4 Port USB Hub + Charger,Black | eBay

provided that link still works.

It's a solar powered 4 port USB hub desiged to act as a charging station for USB devices so it is a "powered" hub.
    I bought this powered hub for $5 on ebay
    7 Port USB 2.0 High-Speed HUB Powered + AC Adapter Free | eBay
    I bought the OTG cable for <$3 on ebay
    New micro USB to USB Female Cable USB-OTG N900 | eBay
    I plugged in the powered hub to the wall, an SD card reader into the hub, an SD card into the reader, the OTG into the TouchPad and into the hub's supplied A-B cable into the hub.
    I ran "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" to see I had it recognized
    I ran "ls -lrt /dev" to see the /sda or /sda1 was new
    I created a dir "/media/internal/usbtest"
    I mounted with "mount /dev/sda1 /medida/internal/usbtest"
    Then I was able to browse the card's contents using Internalz file browser.
    This post and all its help was simple brilliant.
    So, the end plugging into the HP Touchpad is micro-B USB (according to the description on ebay).
    That means you need power for the keyboard/sd card ....
    Makes sense so far.

But wiki (see below) says, the B-device assumes it's a peripheral unless the HNP protocol kicks in to reverse that. Does that mean a generic keyboard/mouse may/may not work?
    We need the Touchpad to assume host.

Earlier, I saw a setup (someone soldered a cable together) which had ID (pin4) gnded (pin 5). That would make it a micro-A connection to the Touchpad.

A bit confused as to what OTG really is & why it works & whether the ebay guys got it wrong.

"The OTG device with the A-plug inserted is called the A-device and is responsible for powering the USB interface when required and by default assumes the role of host. The OTG device with the B-plug inserted is called the B-device and by default assumes the role of peripheral. An OTG device with no plug inserted defaults to acting as a B-device. If an application on the B-device requires the role of host, then the HNP protocol is used to temporarily transfer the host role to the B-device."
    Last edited by mangledlftthumb; 10/05/2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Anyway to attach a SD card reader directly to your TouchPad? I've seen the threads were this is possible using a powered hub however I'm not sure if this can be done without using a hub?

Basically, while out shooting photos, I'd like to be able to take my TouchPad and whenever I need to takes pics off my DSLR's SDHC card, simply plug the card reader into my TP and load the pics from the SD card to the TouchPad.

Is this doable?
    HP TouchPad 32GB (Rooted & Patched)
    My understanding is that you currently need external power. Using the powered USB hub I was successfully able to transfer files from the card reader every day for a week while traveling.
    Hmm...okay. I was hoping for something more on-the-fly you know? Normally when shooting I'm nowhere near a power outlet so I was hoping something was available that would allow me to do this without using a powered hub. Guess I'll wait and see.
    HP TouchPad 32GB (Rooted & Patched)
    You might be able to use an external battery for the power, check the thread to see if people have done this successfully.
    At this moment, you NEED external power.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    an insane thought occured, the self powered usb hub type stuff, can 1 or a v small card reader get fitted inside the touchpad where the defunct serial number/simcard slot is and get self powered using the touchstone when the touchpad is seated to charge, negating the need for at least a cabled power source from elsewhere.

or just power the touchpads built in usb with the touchstone so a normal non powered usb cable would work.
    Is it possible to mount a camera ? I've no problem with hdd but i'm unable to mount my powershot S95.

Device is detected, but that's all :/
    I believe that this setup may work for you without need for mains or laptop USB Power.

Hardware:
    MicroUSB OTG Adapter eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Emergency AA Battery Mobile Phone Charger eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Plug the USB Thumb drive into the Female USB socket of the Y Cable
    Plug the thin Power lead USB Male A plug into the Emergency Charger
    Plug the USB A Male plug of the Y Cable into the OTG Adapter
    LASTLY, Plug the OTG MicroUSB plug into the TouchPad

Now, On the TouchPad:
    1. Using Internalz, create a new directory in /media/internal called usb

2. From Preware, install Xecutah. This will automatically install Xserver and Xterm

3. webOS does not automatically mount drives when seen on an otg cable. So:

a. open Xecutah/ Xterm and type: mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    b. Then type: LS /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

4. Then fire up internalz pro and go to settings and click on show hidden files and apply that.

5. You should now be able to see the Thumb Drive Files under the /media/internal/usb Directory

Be sure to use Xecutah/XServer/XTerm to "umount /dev/sda1" when you are done with a drive. (umount is the unmount command)
    Still it's "external" power ;-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I got a working setup similar to the OP:
    Powered Belkin USB hub - Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U234V1 Hi-Speed USB2.0 4-Port Hub

USB Y cable (couldn't get the hub to work correctly with power adapter)
    - one end connected to USB outlet connector
    - other end connected to USB OTG cable
    The cable came included with an Iomega external HDD

USB OTG cable (not a DIY) connected to TP - This is the same as the one suggested by the guy who originally announced the host capabilities (not the OP in this thread, but in the referenced thread on Rootzwiki). $3 on Ebay.

--------------------------------------------

I was able to get a Dell wireless keyboard, which has its own Bluetooth-like (not true BT) adapter, to work. I also was able to mount a thumb drive and view contents. The problem I had was that when the screen was turned off, all devices would turn off (as indicated by LEDs on the hub). When turned back on, none of the devices could be reconnected until I restarted the Touchpad.

I tested a couple more devices for the heck of it, but I'm not really experienced with Linux-USB operations (or USB principles in general). Mouse does nothing at all, despite lighting up the indicator LEDs. Gamepads work similarly (I'm sure a driver probably needs to be written to take advantage).

Are there any built-in commands for testing simple USB connections? Like I said, I'm not as familiar with device control in Linux. I've only ever done server administration. The keyboard stuff is cool, but I already have a BT keyboard so it's kind of pointless. I also wanted to know if there is some type of process for disconnecting devices that would allow me to reconnect them without restarting?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    an insane thought occured, the self powered usb hub type stuff, can 1 or a v small card reader get fitted inside the touchpad where the defunct serial number/simcard slot is and get self powered using the touchstone when the touchpad is seated to charge, negating the need for at least a cabled power source from elsewhere.

or just power the touchpads built in usb with the touchstone so a normal non powered usb cable would work.
    I doubt it. I don't know the exact specifications (or if they've done it differently), but there is very little chance anything would be running at 5v inside the touchpad. Chances are its all converted down to lower voltages. As such you really need the usb receptacle itself, which will most likely be equipped with something to pump up the voltage on on the bus for self powering.

The problem with using the touchstone coil (aside the the lunacy of hacking up a touchpad in the first place) is that it's more than likely acting as a transformer and probably isn't 5v on the output anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Microbug View Post
    Is it possible to mount a camera ? I've no problem with hdd but i'm unable to mount my powershot S95.

Device is detected, but that's all :/
    Camera's are a bit funny. Some will simply mount as external storage (and thus be fine), whereas others will request other drivers and set themselves up differently. It depends on the camera.

There is also the possibility the storage on it is formatted to something the touchpad can't read (i.e. NTFS).
    Thanks, Wheel_Nut, for the great info on how to mount a Linux device. I can run circles around anyone using Dos commands (dates me, I know) but Linux is a new animal. My problem is that nothing seems to work in mounting my memory card. I'm hooking the devices up properly, I've created the USB directory, but none of the mount commands listed in this posting or the other USB Host post seem to work. Any suggestions from the crowd?
    Is anyone else have issues unmounting a single USB thumbdrive?

every time I try unmount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb it just says '-sh: unmount: not found'.

Also, I can't get Kalemsoft media player to see any files (at all) mounted in a local USB drive in spite of them being successfully mounted and visible (and able to copy and move) in Internalz. I navigate to the usb folder and it's empty?

One last query - what is the proper order for installing & mounting hardware and starting software etc, then unmounting and uninstalling hardware etc...Right now I'm having to do a reset after every mount in order for the TP to mount the same USB stick after it's been unplugged once.

Cheers - still trying to get any card readers working - can't seem to find the SD cards or CF cards in the reader.