Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    What is the voltage tolerance of USB devices? Instead of having to step down a 9v battery, couldn't you get away with using 3-4 AA of AAA batteries at 1.5v each. That gets you either 4.5v or 6v. I'd think USB devices have some tolerance +/-?

It'd be nice to pick up a little project box at Radio Shack, a 4 battery holder and mount everything inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Good News Everyone! Guy on Russian webOS forums posted some intrigue info about TouchPad USB capabilities.

TP USB host demo video:

TP USB host demo video (in Russian):
    Query: Should the Y cable have 3 male USB plugs? I got one where the base and one "leg" of the Y are male plugs, but the other is a female plug. Not sure if that will work. Going to try to hook it to a hub and see. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    We have to root the tablet to do any commands by Xterm?
    Any chance of using this device?

4-Port USB 2.0 Hub as a hybrid (Solar Light & USB BUS) Charger for mobilephones

instead of external power ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pablomg View Post
    Any chance of using this device?

4-Port USB 2.0 Hub as a hybrid (Solar Light & USB BUS) Charger for mobilephones

instead of external power ...
    If you want to experiment, it's $15 shipped on ebay.
    dectech likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    What is the voltage tolerance of USB devices? Instead of having to step down a 9v battery, couldn't you get away with using 3-4 AA of AAA batteries at 1.5v each. That gets you either 4.5v or 6v. I'd think USB devices have some tolerance +/-?

It'd be nice to pick up a little project box at Radio Shack, a 4 battery holder and mount everything inside.
    Or just use 4 rechargeable AAA or AA and you'll have a fairly consistent 4.8v until it drops of a cliff, that's got to be close enough.

Or something like this, but two AA just doesn't seem enough. (even found a US site for you)
    WOWCases, For Apple iPhone3G/3GS iPad Pocket Emergency Charger For USB [007528] : iPhone Case, iPad Case iwowcases.com
    Wow....this is really cool!
    But can you imagine trying to go through TSA with this in your gear bag?
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    So I got this all set up and everything works in the terminal. But I have no access to the files within WebOS...Internalz Pro/Etc. I created a folder called media/internal/usb in internalz pro and can move files to this and they show up in terminal using the ls command I can see they are added. But if I open up the folder within Internalz pro it show absolutely nothing in the folder.
    Need something like this one for our toys:
    LiveDock™ multimedia station - USB on the go
    dectech likes this.
    I really liked izzeho's adapter so I thought I'd make one too. I used a Lilypad power supply because it boost a AAA battery to 5v with a female usb connector hooked up to male micro usb connector. It works perfectly
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
    brum, MannymanWP and dectech like this.
    lol, good luck getting on a plane with one of those

"No honest! I jerry rigged an external power supply so I could use my USB input to host my SD memory card!"

"You sir........just won an all-expenses paid, all-inclusive, indefinite trip to Guantanamo Bay!"
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    That is an awesome adaptation, but I lol'd at sledge post
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I picked up one of these TekCharge units for my mobile devices when Newegg was selling them for $6. It uses 2 to 4 AA and outputs up to 800mA. If you use rechargeable batteries they can be recharged by plugging it into a usb port or any usb charger. Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    I really liked izzeho's adapter so I thought I'd make one too. I used a Lilypad power supply because it boost a AAA battery to 5v with a female usb connector hooked up to male micro usb connector. It works perfectly
    Click to view quoted image
    looks nice. Where did you get it from?
    Click to view quoted image
    Very slick...

One thing I'd advise people who might go with this solution, though, is that it can only supply up to 100mA - so it may not support some USB devices that expect to draw as much as 500mA of current from a standard USB port. That's the price to be paid for such a portable solution, though - the booster circuit that allows you to get 5V out of a single 1.5V battery results in a corresponding drop in available current.

--John
    I bought the pieces from sparkfun.com, they have a pretty large range of electronic parts.

what jbennett says is true, it doesn't work on my flash drives but it does on my keyboards so it works for my purposes. I'm a little paranoid about using a 9v and too cheap to buy a ready made alternative so I went this route.
    Last edited by darkeru; 10/01/2011 at 11:30 PM.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Well found out I had to turn on hidden files to see it within Internalz Pro. Now is only they would release a version of Internalz Pro that offers landscape. Y power cable and Amazon.com: XtremeMac IPU-ICP-11 InCharge Portable: Electronics works really well. Working on making one self contained unit that integrates everything really wish I had access to a CNC machine.
    brum likes this.
    OK, I bought the 'right' OTG to female USB cable for my touchpad for the keyboard 'hack'. I'm still waiting on the 'Y' cable but wanted to try something 'easy' :

( Micro USB OTG Cord Cable Samsung Galaxy SII S2 i9100 | eBay )

Thought I'd try it as a replacement for the standard HP cable so I could keep just one cable plugged in, BUT... the OTG->female plugged into a standard male-male 'A' then into my usual hub won't give me the USB drive prompt, and plugging it into the HP charger won't vibrate and give me the 'charging' msg. Did I get a bad cable?? If I go back to using a generic micro5 to maleA it works; so I don't think there is anything special inside the supplied HP cable.

Thanks for any help!
    I bought the pieces from sparkfun.com, they have a pretty large range of electronic parts.

what jbennett says is true, it doesn't work on my flash drives but it does on my keyboards so it works for my purposes. I'm a little paranoid about using a 9v and too cheap to buy a ready made alternative so I went this route.
    Very cool.

On my setup, so far I have been able to open flash cards, IDE / ATA / SATA and flash drives (all required external power) through the touchpad USB port.

Now I am trying to attach DVD Rom to it, but have not been successful so far. However, I think it is possible and hopefully will get it working soon.

Adding stuff through ubuntu... Webos has only very limited stuff included...
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman1 View Post
    OK, I bought the 'right' OTG to female USB cable for my touchpad for the keyboard 'hack'. I'm still waiting on the 'Y' cable but wanted to try something 'easy' :

( Micro USB OTG Cord Cable Samsung Galaxy SII S2 i9100 | eBay )

Thought I'd try it as a replacement for the standard HP cable so I could keep just one cable plugged in, BUT... the OTG->female plugged into a standard male-male 'A' then into my usual hub won't give me the USB drive prompt, and plugging it into the HP charger won't vibrate and give me the 'charging' msg. Did I get a bad cable?? If I go back to using a generic micro5 to maleA it works; so I don't think there is anything special inside the supplied HP cable.

Thanks for any help!
    I also just got this and it does not work either. Am I stuck having to carry two sets of USB cables?

Micro-B USB OTG Cable for Galaxy S2/S II/i9100 | eBay