Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    there's not really any tragic risk, if you make your own cable your just risking the cable and if you buy a cable your just risking a couple bucks.
    Well, there is a risk of frying the USB connection on your TouchPad if you do things *really* wrong e.g. connect to a wall AC power outlet directly, instead of to 5V .

That would then make it unrecoverable with the webOS Doctor if you then got a software problem.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lschroeder1947 View Post
    I created the folder media/internal/usb using internalz pro. I have mounted two different flash drives and 1TB Western Digital fat 32 usb powered hard drive (no external power).

To get the built-in video player to play my mp4 files on the above flash drive and 1TB drive. I went into Internalz Pro preferences (upper left hand corner) and set Show hidden to on and Master mode to on (Be careful this is dangerous). I could now see the directories and files in media/internal/usb. Before making these changes Intenalz Pro show only .. for the media/internal/usb directory. I clicked on various movie files I had converted to mp4. I used the open option to play with the default movie player. I had the best luck with my 1TB hard drive. I stopped my 4 hr version of Lawerence of Arabia 2 hrs in.

Be sure to use Xecutah/XServer/XTerm to "umount /dev/sda1" when you are done with a drive. (umount is the unmount command)
    Hi,

I am using a touchpad with webos.

Have a 500GB seagate external usb drive. created a usb folder under /media/internal.

I am using the standard mount command - mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    I get "no such file or directory error".
    I have created the directory with xterm and internalz

Should i be using a different dev device? sde1, sbc1?
    Do some external HDs just not work? I'm using a seagate usb 2.

I read the thread in here about the mac file format type and have formatted the HD as ext3 ext4 and fat32 with no luck.

Any help?
    Cant we just use a BT reader/hub to wireless transmit data from a stick or card?

EDIT: OK, too slow I am thinking...
    "mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab"
    I have a 1,8" USB-HDD with fat32, a OTG and and y-cable connected ...
    Any idea someone?
    Was trying to find out what USB supports are loaded by
    lsmod | grep -i usb

nothing shows up.

does anyone know how to load kernel modules without messing with the whole kernel?
    like hid.o input.o mousedev.o scanner.o etc?

I also want to make it be able to record video (veer can record video).

Another goal is to port a DVD drive through USB using one of those cheap sata/ide - USB connector. I was successful connecting DVD drive to laptop by this method and played DVDs there. It should work the same for touchpad.
    I try to mount a FA32 disk with OTG ​​cable , a Y-cable and an external power supply. Nothing happens. What are the Linux commands that could help me before doing the mount to see if the system sees the USB device? The directory to mount is always / dev/sda1?

Thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    does anyone know how to load kernel modules without messing with the whole kernel?
    like hid.o input.o mousedev.o scanner.o etc?
    You mean .ko files? modprobe is about all you can do (haven't tested it yet).

I also want to make it be able to record video (veer can record video).
    Record video? Unsure what you mean.

Another goal is to port a DVD drive through USB using one of those cheap sata/ide - USB connector. I was successful connecting DVD drive to laptop by this method and played DVDs there. It should work the same for touchpad.
    Dvd drive should actually be really easy. All you'll need to do is load an isofs kernel mod and it should play fine in touchplayer (or vlc or something under the chroot).
    Am I right in assuming I can plug one end of a y-cable into a iPhone AC charger? I'm guessing it outputs 5v?
    Try 'ls /dev/sd*' to see which partitions are available. If you put multiple drives on the usb hub there will be sdaX, sdbX, sdcX and so on. Also be sure to unmount the partitions before removing them as you won't be able to mount multiple drives to the same folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Would a camera require USB power? I'd love to have access to it from the Touchpad just to gain access to the pictures on my DLSR and email/upload them while I travel.
    From working with this on my Archos 70 Android tablet I can tell you that if the device has it's own power (ie a battery) then the answer is no. You should be able to hook it up without USB power, but that really depends on the camera. I have a plug in 1TB USB hard drive that works without additional external power because it has its own.
    By video recording, I mean video recording....

Touchpad already has the video streaming function (Skype) and microphone. Therefore video recording becomes a softwares issue not a hardware issue. Also, the new webOS phone already veer already has the video recording function. So porting the video recording to tp is not out of touch.

I will try that isofs module. Mind recommending a place for downloading such ko files?

I want to be able to add these modules within webOS system, not switching to a secondary boot. I kinda like the webOS over ISO. Funny I keep doing the card thing on my iPad ... I am so used to card slinging now.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 09/25/2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: no reason
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkfu View Post
    If UK: Micro USB Host OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay

If US: Micro-B USB Host OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay

These are avoiding importing from HK, etc. I just found these quickly, so try find a better deal if you can.

cheers
    I tried the second one, but failed on my TouchPad with Y-cable to my 2.5" external harddrive. ...
    I'm not sure if this is the compatibility or power supply issue. Pretty sad to find out that it doesn't work.
    Alright got a little bored and modified a dual usb port with a 9V batt -> 5v regulator for power. Runs really well and (after my awesome case mod) is very portable.

marcedhk likes this.
    Very nice setup, just needs a little case. Even better, can you do it without cables lying around: just a micro usb male(pin 4 and 5 shorted) and a female usb for a peripheral, in a small box with this battery enclosed. Could it work, anyway?
    It's working fine for a 8Gb FAT32 usb key and I'm watching at my favorite video.
    I just bought the famous micro-USB OTG cable, used a powered hub and manually mounted it via xterm (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test)
    All files can be read as internally.
    Can somebody make a patch to automatic mount it ? I also can include it in the fstab...
    Last edited by guynux; 09/27/2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Ubuntu (PC) / Debian (NsLu2 thx rwhitby) / HP TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Alright got a little bored and modified a dual usb port with a 9V batt -> 5v regulator for power. Runs really well and (after my awesome case mod) is very portable.
    What output current is your 5v regulator running there izzeho man? Seems to be the cheapest way to build a battery pack since that's all I need.

Mintyboost on the Cheap!

Here's a good link for others wanting a tidier battery setup, or don't trust 9v batteries when you accidentally lick 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Am I right in assuming I can plug one end of a y-cable into a iPhone AC charger? I'm guessing it outputs 5v?
    Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkfu View Post
    What output current is your 5v regulator running there izzeho man? Seems to be the cheapest way to build a battery pack since that's all I need.
    I've absolutely no idea. The 7805 is rated to 500mA, but I wouldn't know about the battery. It seems fine for everything I've tried.

I've definitely never been a fan of 9v batteries, but its what I have lying around that was simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Anyone?
    Can't be completely certain, but pretty much should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by guynux View Post
    Can somebody make a patch to automatic mount it ? I also can include it in the fstab...
    I've got a shell script for auto mounting now, but haven't bothered to test it at all yet. Will probably post it up eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    I've absolutely no idea. The 7805 is rated to 500mA, but I wouldn't know about the battery. It seems fine for everything I've tried.

I've definitely never been a fan of 9v batteries, but its what I have lying around that was simple.
    Sound man I'll just pick up whatever on ebay and hope for the best. I don't like the idea of using a 9v battery but I'd rather not spend too much cash in case the devs manage to turn on vbus for the usb port, if that's still possible.

Cheers
    if someone wants to build one, as i frankly have no skill set in this dept, what so ever, i will pay for it.. pm me if you are interested. it has to be fairly clean and quick.. failing that, ill wait for a possible patch..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.