Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Here's a complete breakdown of my setup with links, this is portable(ish), works for usb drives, card readers, and let's me see cameras and wifi cards in lsusb

This
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics
    That OTG cable did not work for me, plus it was too large to fit without taking off the official HP case. I used the Motorola camera kit cable with a Kensington USB Hub.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    That OTG cable did not work for me, plus it was too large to fit without taking off the official HP case. I used the Motorola camera kit cable with a Kensington USB Hub.
    Weird, my carbonfiber skin overlaps a decent amount due to my drunken application method and it works great for me. Do you have power coming from the touchpad or is there a y adapter in there?
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Weird, my carbonfiber skin overlaps a decent amount due to my drunken application method and it works great for me. Do you have power coming from the touchpad or is there a y adapter in there?
    No need for y adaptor, the Kensington USB is self powered and works as long as I reboot the TouchPad before mounting the card reader, flash drives or external drives.
    If anyone wants my y cable (3 male prongs), I will drop it in the mail for you if you cover my original $5 cost.
    Does this mean we could create a video out with an external video card (usb to vga) for use with projectors?
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mo......bosnation0e-20
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubrchkn View Post
    Does this mean we could create a video out with an external video card (usb to vga) for use with projectors?
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mo......bosnation0e-20
    Can't get your link to load but I think it mostly hinges on on how well chroot can access usb devices(no idea yet) and whether there's arm/linux support for your software(google).
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Also, how difficult would it be to make an app/button that would avoid using xterm to mount usb drives? All it would have to do is run the mount command and maybe link to the folder in internalz
    The script side of it wouldn't be difficult in the slightest, the nonsense you have to muck around with to get a UI on the other hand (well at least for me)...

Just grabbed the mounting script they use under the N900, it could easily enough be adapted.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GQ4W3MHW

Take note how it loads in the ntfs/isofs modules and the like as well.

It would unlock a very cool feature to the masses.
    I'm fairly certain getting VBUS asserting would do a much better job of that. I can only hope the cyanogen mod guys have luck with this (under Android or WebOS) and can then feed it back to us.

I'm playing with a TL-WN722n wireless adapter, if anyone gets this working let me know how and what adapter you used.
    Might I suggest having a poke around talk.maemo.org where they did a lot of mucking around with custom drivers to get things working under Maemo. Granted Maemo is a fair bit more open and easily accessible than WebOS, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the best thing to do would be talking to the Internals guys that build the kernels and have them add support for those sorts of devices and file systems.

Example:
    Nokia N900 + Ethernet (via USB-RJ45 adapter) - maemo.org - Talk
    mivoligo likes this.
    Hmmm. I'm ready to start buying the cabling necessary to try this out but not sure what to get. There is some conflicting information such as the OP used a N900 micro usb and presumably that was demonstrated in the video and yet others (bluenote) have said they tried that and it did not work. The dome light hub works but is expensive: cheapist on amazon is $33 and the thing is pretty big: 7 external usb ports and powered. I'd like something smaller and more portable. Some have used other hubs and some have used Y cables and some did not. One thing that people did not discuss either and maybe someone could comment on is cable length. Some of these micro cables are only 6-8 long and you need an extender if you want you hub positioned some distance from the TP.

Is there any way to contact the OP and post all the setup information at the top. If people who have a setup that works; send him your components list make he could make a Table on page 1 so people know what to buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    Hmmm. I'm ready to start buying the cabling necessary to try this out but not sure what to get. There is some conflicting information such as the OP used a N900 micro usb and presumably that was demonstrated in the video and yet others (bluenote) have said they tried that and it did not work. The dome light hug works but is expensive: cheapist on amazon is $33. Some have used other hubs, some used Y cable and some did not.

Is there any way to contact the OP and post all the setup information at the top. If people who have a setup that works send him your components list make he could make a Table on page 1 so people know what to buy?
    Alternatively, you could just use a wiki page, and then everyone can edit and maintain it directly.

USB Host Mode - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I'm ready to start buying the cabling necessary to try this out but not sure what to get. There is some conflicting information such as the OP used a N900 micro usb and presumably that was demonstrated in the video and yet others (bluenote) have said they tried that and it did not work. The dome light hug works but is expensive: cheapist on amazon is $33. Some have used other hubs, some used Y cable and some did not.

Is there any way to contact the OP and post all the setup information at the top. If people who have a setup that works send him your components list make he could make a Table on page 1 so people know what to buy?
    My list a page back has worked for me and three friends all with different units.

Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Might I suggest having a poke around talk.maemo.org where they did a lot of mucking around with custom drivers to get things working under Maemo. Granted Maemo is a fair bit more open and easily accessible than WebOS, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the best thing to do would be talking to the Internals guys that build the kernels and have them add support for those sorts of devices and file systems.
    [/url]
    Thanks for the sense of direction, I've been wandering webos forums almost blindly. Do you think I need WebOS support to load USB hardware in chroot, or is that what the internalz folks will know?
    Last edited by bable; 09/20/2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Hello everyone, new and happy TP owner here.
    A noobish question: Would this work with a 3G USB modem as well? Or just storage?
    Quote Originally Posted by diamantius View Post
    Hello everyone, new and happy TP owner here.
    A noobish question: Would this work with a 3G USB modem as well? Or just storage?
    No reason it wouldn't. They got them working with the N810. Will probably depend on the modem model though.
    Just thinking out loud here: standard stuff like usb sticks, external hard drives are just filesystems and you just mount them but for other stuff like a web cam, ethernet adapter, or modem you would need a driver installed on the TP to work. Isn't that true? Now given that WebOS is pretty new, not very popular, and really had a pretty closed environment (at least the TP did) I would think that drivers for most of these devices would be near impossible to find. True?

However, if the Android 2.3.5 port they are working on was installed, it would have access to the USB hardware just like WebOS did and the driver situation should be much, much better. Android fixed almost all the issues I stated above. Its open source, hugely popular, the 2.x version has been around for quite awhile, and most Android tablets have USB ports too. So if you want external hardware to work in the TP, it seems you who need to get the Android port first. Does that make sense?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Just thinking out loud here: standard stuff like usb sticks, external hard drives are just filesystems and you just mount them but for other stuff like a web cam, ethernet adapter, or modem you would need a driver installed on the TP to work. Isn't that true? Now given that WebOS is pretty new, not very popular, and really had a pretty closed environment (at least the TP did) I would think that drivers for most of these devices would be near impossible to find. True?

However, if the Android 2.3.5 port they are working on was installed, it would have access to the USB hardware just like WebOS did and the driver situation should be much, much better. Android fixed almost all the issues I stated above. Its open source, hugely popular, the 2.x version has been around for quite awhile, and most Android tablets have USB ports too. So if you want external hardware to work in the TP, it seems you who need to get the Android port first. Does that make sense?
    Makes sense, but, an android port is a much larger can of worms and can't really be counted on 100%. We should be able to load drivers in a chroot though and then use the devices through arch or ubuntu. I don't really care about webos support for hardware since aircrack won't run in it
    webOS hardware support is mostly the same as on Android since they both use some variant of modified Linux kernel. So if the device runs on your desktop Ubuntu PC, it should run on the TouchPad with properly configured (read: downloaded some modified edition from Preware) kernel.
    Damn, this is the problem with a cheap chinese cable off eBay... when it's not working I don't know if it's that the powered hub I have is incompatible/not providing enough power or if the cable is wrong.

I did try a 3.5" USB HDD that has its own power supply and that didn't work either, but I didn't really expect that to.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Damn, this is the problem with a cheap chinese cable off eBay... when it's not working I don't know if it's that the powered hub I have is incompatible/not providing enough power or if the cable is wrong.

I did try a 3.5" USB HDD that has its own power supply and that didn't work either, but I didn't really expect that to.
    Pick up a Y adapter at radioshack and then just return it(always cheaper online) after you test to see if the cable works with your laptop for power.
    Here's a fun question that struck me. Instead of buying a USB otg cable, could you use the stock comms cable for the tp n add a gender changer on the end to hook up the y cable?
    Well you really do not need the fancy stuff to make it work. The key is that pin 4 in the micro USB must be grounded, and power must be supplied to the USB device. Here's the cheap solution I got it to work.

Go to ebay and a UBS adapter like this one - ebay item number 230673451930. Cost less than 3 bucks shipped. This one is particularly good because the cover can be easily removed for mod. The cover can be removed using a screw driver (be gentle). You will see the semi-transparent plastic. Use a knife to cut open the plastic to get to pin 4.

The pin arrangement is like this (from the back of the micro USB side, flat side up)
    3 4
    1 2 5

solder a wire to pin 4 then connect the wire to the metal shelf (anywhere will do, the metal shelf is linked to the ground already). Place the cover back. Now you have your home-made org cable.

You do need either a USB hub for powering the device, or some other means.

Don't try USB drive yet 'cause you need to install xterm. Grab any USB key board, mouse, whatever, try them on. If the touchpad response to these things, you would not be able to bring up the touchpad keyboard.

Good luck.
    This is pretty sweet, but I'm too chicken to try it.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    This is pretty sweet, but I'm too chicken to try it.
    there's not really any tragic risk, if you make your own cable your just risking the cable and if you buy a cable your just risking a couple bucks.