Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFP
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have been playing around and doing a bunch of research as why I could not tether my jailbroken iPhone4 to my touchpad. I was running IOS 4.2.1

I came to the conclusion that MiWi (and of course Tetherme) was not showing up when it was reported by some other users it was because I had not upgraded to 4.3.3 when Apple introduced the personal hotspot, I thought I was stuck being forced to upgrade to 4.3.5 with no current jailbreak available to make my touchpad see my hotspot if I wanted to

After doing research I found that when you open Cydia at the very top of the screen on the home page in small font, it should list a bunch of IOS versions if you happened to click SAVE MY SHSH which Cydia prompted you to do on the home screen which it was doing for a while, I had a bunch of versions ranging from 4.0.1 - 4.3.5 which means I could put the firmware of any of those versions on my phone, I decided to do 4.3.3. because it has the personal hotspot and is supported by jailbreakme.com for a super easy jailbreak

so to upgrade to 4.3.3 from 4.2.1 (or any as long as Cydia lists the IOS version at the top) do this, don't forget to do a backup first!

Update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3 while Preserving Old Baseband with TinyUmbrella | Jaxov

then when you get the error after the restore almost completes, that IS TOTALLY EXPECTED and NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT, do this

Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) to Exit iOS 4.3 Recovery Mode Loop | Jaxov

ALSO NOTE when you do the above you might get another common error, it's listed in the instructions at the link above but just in case you see a

"missing zlib1.dll error"

it's totally fine and like I said the fix is in the steps, here they are anyway,

"file link is in the weblink above this paragraph
    pdate#1: Some users reported that they are unable to use TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3 because of some missing zlib1.dll error. To fix this error, download zlib1.dll from here and place it in same directory in which fixrecovery43.exe is present."

after that my iPhone booted, I restored it to the backup I did right before I started, went straight to jailbreakme.com, clicked FREE, it installed, I went to Cydia, downloaded PkgBackup, clicked restore, and had my iPhone exactly as it was before but at 4.3.3 with the personal hotspot available. note I have TetherMe and MyWi installed.

anyway, this all took literally 10 minutes to do (way less then it took to type this but I hope I can help people in the same position I was) and after doing this and using the paid PkgBackup from Cydia, I have everything that was on my 4.2.1 iPhone, will all my data, apps, settings, jailbroken settings, etc was exactly how it was before and now both MiWi and TetherMe both show the network and work perfectly with the touchpad, I can use it anywhere!

*note my paid PdaNet does not work in any mode at all, from hiding data with full security to not hiding data with ZERO security, only MiWi and TetherMe work*

hope that helps anyone else in my situation!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Yes I hate doing all this stupid JB with APple phones

one of the reasons I may not buy another APple product

People say the shiny over priced Ipad is awesome
    APps apps

yes but at the price of hours trying to JB so you can use features

and JB is legal but against APples wishes

I wish someone would take them to court for closing the JB

God how I hate them (Yes I have an Iphone 4)
    Psychonaut likes this.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Yes I hate doing all this stupid JB with APple phones

one of the reasons I may not buy another APple product

People say the shiny over priced Ipad is awesome
    APps apps

yes but at the price of hours trying to JB so you can use features

and JB is legal but against APples wishes

I wish someone would take them to court for closing the JB

God how I hate them (Yes I have an Iphone 4)
    ok.......................