Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm just disapointed I couldn't find one. I live in a fairly large metropolitan area and found out about the firesale almost as soon as it was announced (I almost never close precentral. Dedicated browser tab). I spent enough gas to buy two driving all over the place in search of one. Absolutely every single one was sold out. By the time I tried HP web site, they were no longer selling any either. :-( Really hoping I get a chance to get on when they restock.
    I know what you mean. I did get lucky enough to have one of my 4 online orders go through myself. But I had tried several B&M stores locally and struck out too. Here's to hoping you have better luck on round 2 of TP mania whenever it happens!
    1.5 is not really a overclock, its how the chip comes in the htc phones standard. That being stated 1.5 is too slow for my taste. I run 1.7 with warthog and my touchpad is stupid fast. I updated when 3.0.2 came out, uninstalled all my patches and reinstalled everything, except the Cfq io scheduler patch, since it creates issues for warthog kernels. In govnah I'm set to noop, ondemand,432 min, 1.7 max. I also use the screen touch sensitivity patch by Mau verses the patch by web internals. To me it has better response when I touch the screen. All that said, out of the box this thing sucked. After some research and work, updates, patches and tweaks it is pretty sweet. I'd suggest going to 1.7, 1.5 is sluggish to me. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Some folks only buy 4 or 5 games. At $50 a pop that is only $200-250. The retailer gets a cut out of that and so does the game maker. How much do you think Microsoft is left with? Especially when the console could cost close to $1000 to produce. I think it took Microsoft's game unit 3 years to turn a profit. They took a loss that entire time to build market share and a user base to sell services (Xbox Live!). Once that user base was established and the cost of the hardware dropped, they began to make a profit.

I used to follow the game industry very closely. I own a PS2, PS3, and a Wii. My son bought an XBox with his own money.
    Microsoft or Sony doesn't have to wait for the games to sell before they make money. They get licensing fees and developer fees right away aside from taking a cut of net profits.

As you mentioned, it took Microsoft 3 years to turn a profit. Microsoft can afford it. I don't think HP is willing to play that game.
    even at $150 for the 32G, it is still not quite worth it. i have overclocked it to 1.5 and intalled various patches, but the machine is still no where as fast as ipad2. it freezes up a lot or simply takes a very long time to load some pages. turning off flash player and javasript will help some, but then why bother with this device if one has to turn off features to get decent speed.
    There is a good reason why it wasn't selling until the firesale and there is a good reason why HP dumped it.
    i already put up my second touchpad for sale on ebay, the used one i will keep only as a back up device. for a little more money, there are better devices out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by isf View Post
    even at $150 for the 32G, it is still not quite worth it. i have overclocked it to 1.5 and intalled various patches, but the machine is still no where as fast as ipad2. it freezes up a lot or simply takes a very long time to load some pages. turning off flash player and javasript will help some, but then why bother with this device if one has to turn off features to get decent speed.
    There is a good reason why it wasn't selling until the firesale and there is a good reason why HP dumped it.
    i already put up my second touchpad for sale on ebay, the used one i will keep only as a back up device. for a little more money, there are better devices out there.
    I want to know your definition of "a little more money" and which device you'd get.
  6. chi
    Have the 32gb. After opening, I did do that phone number thing to stop logging. I've also noticed a slight lag sometimes of about 5 seconds.

Finally, today I decided to do install Preware to stop the additional logging and overclock. Haven't notice any lags since.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    You're laying out a perfect scenario where people who buy a tablet are going to purchase all of those things. Most won't. Not to mention the fact that there will be 3rd-party knockoff accessories that sell for less, and HP won't get a dime from them. There is just no way tablet makers can use the same business model as game console manufacturers, it's apples and oranges.

I would never rent a movie on my tablet. I also won't buy an app that's over $2 for my tablet unless it blows my socks off. I am the worst nightmare of a subsidized tablet, and I'm probably typical.
    Yes and other are laying out a perfect scenario where every game console owner buys enough games to offset a $400-700 loss in profit. Some will buy more, others will buy less. What matters is if they offset each other. You don't need to buy anything for your tablet because I probably purchased enough for both of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Microsoft or Sony doesn't have to wait for the games to sell before they make money. They get licensing fees and developer fees right away aside from taking a cut of net profits.

As you mentioned, it took Microsoft 3 years to turn a profit. Microsoft can afford it. I don't think HP is willing to play that game.
    HP seemed to be willing to do this at first, then caved during the first earnings call.
    For the money, its OK for checking email and web browsing other then that it just doesn't seem to be up to par with other tablets on the market. I do agree, all the patches and the uber kernel helps a ton, you wouldn't think you should have to do all that just to make it run almost as smooth as other tablets.
    If nothing else it will make a great gift for mom to check her email with
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    I think there is clearly an issue with application UIs becoming unresponsive while they are loading data off the net. While an app's UI appears "frozen" I usually have no problem going back to card view and zipping around quickly. I've not delved into webOS app development (yet), but I'm wondering if the UI issues are related to a lack of decent use of multi-threading.
    I believe right now that parts of the UI are not optimized to take advantage of the graphics chip. This is probably what's causing most of the stutter. The processors are doing everything with the GPU's help.
    I said the same thing. I think WebOS is fantastic and it has huge potential, but will we see any of that potential in the future? Who knows. For $150, I am satisfied, but as a tablet in general, I think I'd be happier with a different tablet. I still plan to get an iPad 3 next year (assuming it comes!) as I am a iPhone user. It's a bit sluggish even at 1.5ghz. When I noticed apps not loading, freezing, and constantly having to reopen apps, I'm thinking... Kind of a bummer. But one reason I got this is because I wanted an e-reader. I'm happier with this purchase rather than a kindle for example. I'm still planning to get one for my mom, and this tablet will definitely be faster than her 5 year old Dell computer. I think she'd love it and wouldn't be as picky as some of us more tech savvy people.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Actually you can make a profit, just not on the hardware. You make your profit on the App/Music/Movies Store.

How do you think Microsoft broke into the console gaming market? They took a loss on every Xbox sold, to make a profit on the games. Then the Xbox360 was one of the best selling consoles during the next generation war. And I have no doubt that Microsoft will lead the charge again with whatever generation of consoles comes after this one.

-Jared
    People are still trying to push the "make money off of apps" idea? Look no further than Apple to show that scenario is simply not possible. iTunes Store/App Store is a mostly break even proposition, always has been. While they may turn a slight profit, it is only a blip on the radar, and certainly not enough to subsidize a tablet. HP is writing off

Amazon is different because they are not using just apps. They are making money off of their entire store which is obviously much more substantial than what Apple offers, and has many more places to make the money necessary to subsidize a tablet. Even then, the Amazon tablet is rumored at $250 with not top-of-the-line specs. In other words, only a slight subsidy. Even at $250, most tablets are not good enough to pick over the iPad. Certainly not a tablet that needs several tweaks and overclocking to make it usable.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    C'mon, you guys can do better than this, if you are going to come in here and pretend that you have a TouchPad, put some originality into it, just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    People are still trying to push the "make money off of apps" idea? Look no further than Apple to show that scenario is simply not possible. iTunes Store/App Store is a mostly break even proposition, always has been. While they may turn a slight profit, it is only a blip on the radar, and certainly not enough to subsidize a tablet. HP is writing off
    Are you just making this up as you go? Look at the Economy page of the current issue of Time and you'll see some real numbers regarding the ecosystem that is built around Apple products. $2.5 billion in earnings by app designers since 2008. Quote "It has made Apple a player in music, retail and publishing, among other sectors... The consumer-technology world that Jobs shaped is one in which dueling ecosystems- Google, Facebook, Amazon- fight to form their own consumer tribes, none more fiercely loyal than Apple's"

iTunes and the App store are not a break even proposition. Apple makes a huge profit from software and media consumption.
    I see exactly the same issues as the OP and I have also been bemused by the lack of discussion about this problem here and on other webos/tp forums. Everybody seems to be viewing the thing through cheap rose-colored glasses. I personally think that WebOS on the TP is unfit for sale at it's current state of maturity. If I'd paid more than the $150 then I would be quite annoyed about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    I see exactly the same issues as the OP and I have also been bemused by the lack of discussion about this problem here and on other webos/tp forums. Everybody seems to be viewing the thing through cheap rose-colored glasses. I personally think that WebOS on the TP is unfit for sale at it's current state of maturity. If I'd paid more than the $150 then I would be quite annoyed about it.
    So, you, the OP, and perhaps a handful of others have the same problem, out of the hundreds of thousands of TouchPad out there, and yet people like me, k4ever, and many others posting here are the ones with cheap rose colored glasses?

Here's a funny story, which you will undoubtedly decide not to believe. I paid full price for my 32GB Pad, and $99 for my daughter's Pad. My daughter wanted (note the past tense) an iPad and would probably have gotten it for her birthday. Her Pad is unmodified, and wasn't even updated to 3.02 until a couple of days ago (when I realized she was still on 3.0). Her Pad had none of the problems that you claim are endemic to the TouchPad. Neither did my 32GB.

But then, I suppose we've both got cheap rose colored glasses, since the observations of a few count more than the real-world experiences of thousands to you.

Oh, by the way, I am most likely going to keep my full price TouchPad because I am happy with it. IF I happen to get my hands on a firewall 32GB replacement, I may return the current one, but as it turns out I'm also looking for TouchPads for my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Yes and other are laying out a perfect scenario where every game console owner buys enough games to offset a $400-700 loss in profit. Some will buy more, others will buy less. What matters is if they offset each other. You don't need to buy anything for your tablet because I probably purchased enough for both of us.
    x2. I am also making it a point to spend money to support those who have given us a wonderful tablet and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    But you didn't. I have a iPad 2 and it is better in many ways than a TP...but not all. Cards for the browser are a huge improvement over the way Safari handled closing out web pages...huge. While flash is buggy, it's there and works pretty well. While it doesn't have a lot of fart apps, it does have enough to make it reasonably functional. And homebrew adds a considerable community that will be working to make it even more functional, as they already have. No, it's not a business machine for heavy users. But at 1/5 the price, the TP is perfect for many uses...students, non-business users, travel, simple document editing, media...an inexpensive first tablet for people to explore usage...perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    But you didn't. I have a iPad 2 and it is better in many ways than a TP...but not all. Cards for the browser are a huge improvement over the way Safari handled closing out web pages...huge. While flash is buggy, it's there and works pretty well. While it doesn't have a lot of fart apps, it does have enough to make it reasonably functional. And homebrew adds a considerable community that will be working to make it even more functional, as they already have. No, it's not a business machine for heavy users. But at 1/5 the price, the TP is perfect for many uses...students, non-business users, travel, simple document editing, media...an inexpensive first tablet for people to explore usage...perfect.
    You make a good point. $300 worth of parts for $99 makes for a great, inexpensive first tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Cards are nice and I do like them a bit more than iOS 4.x "expose" method in Safari. However with iOS 5 they are adding tabbed browsing which to me is even better, switching between tabs is instantaneous. Also switching between apps/pages in cards is nice, but in iOS 5 they are implementing 5 finger swipe to move between apps which is even faster.

It is great that the homebrew community is stepping up, I have even been playing around creating a few patches of my own. But I've found that many/most of the homebrew apps/patches are adding features that the iPad already has or to really do things the TouchPad should have been able to do from the start.

I'm disappointed that HP already decided to abandon the TouchPad. Jon Rubinstein was dead on when he compared the TouchPad/WebOS 3.x to Mac OS X 10.0. The first version of Mac OS X was half baked, slow, buggy, and was missing a lot of simple/standard features. But Apple kept plugging away because they knew they had a solid foundation and by the 2nd and 3rd major releases it was pretty awesome. Shame HP really wasn't in it for the long haul with the TouchPad although I still hold a small sliver of hope they keep plugging away hard at WebOS.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast