Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 129
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Newcron's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #61  
    Definitely thanking God here. If it's not $149 I wouldn't even think of getting one.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by riverer View Post
    quite often i'll open a note or something, start typing, nothing will happen, i'll finger the screen and get nothing, then suddenly a second or two later the text will appear.
    Happens with iOS, too. Can't remember if that's ever happened to me on the iPad (I believe it has) but I've definitely had that happen on all my iPhones (although occurrence is rarer now).
  3. #63  
    This touchpad is the best portable device I ever bought. Granted I've been broke for months since a neck injury in February and had to not pay the phone bill to buy this touchpad, I don't regret it. I do experience the random pauses, I installed the system logging and overlord patches and the download patch, that seemed to help a ton.
  4. #64  
    I think there is clearly an issue with application UIs becoming unresponsive while they are loading data off the net. While an app's UI appears "frozen" I usually have no problem going back to card view and zipping around quickly. I've not delved into webOS app development (yet), but I'm wondering if the UI issues are related to a lack of decent use of multi-threading.
  5. #65  
    I have a touchpad running 1.5ghz uberkernel with all the recommended patches from that beginner's guide thread (I have had a pre since launch though).

    I have experienced the lag, but not nearly as often as you do. I get it in glimpse a lot, perhaps this is just an intensive app?

    That said, I have experienced similar behavior on my iPad2 every now and then as well.

    I think it happens more on the touchpad then the iPad, but both definitely do it. When it comes to smooth scrolling though, nothing touches the iPad.
  6. #66  
    I'm just disapointed I couldn't find one. I live in a fairly large metropolitan area and found out about the firesale almost as soon as it was announced (I almost never close precentral. Dedicated browser tab). I spent enough gas to buy two driving all over the place in search of one. Absolutely every single one was sold out. By the time I tried HP web site, they were no longer selling any either. :-( Really hoping I get a chance to get on when they restock.
  7. #67  
    I really don't feel sorry for people that complain about a 150 dollar awesome piece of technology. Sell it if you want to - plenty of people would want a second. The mentality that everything is going to be right in front of you ready to blow you away (again) for 150 bucks is flawed. Sounds almost like the guy that complains about the free album he got from his bud, or that movie he watched on free hbo,skinamax weekend. Do some research- read some links on how people did things. I discovered the homebrew community - overclocked- found some patches - some cool media apps like kalemsoft - video flood and now use it more than my brand new i7 laptop. The tweakability alone and openness of the webOS make it head and shoulders above any apple product. I don't want someone controlling/telling what I can or can't put on my tech. Now lets hope someone can figure out how to optimize hulu.
    -x
  8. r-nice's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #68  
    ...and this is a device they were trying to sell for $600?
    sinsin07 likes this.
  9. #69  
    At $600, it can't compete with ipad2 simply because it's slower and there aren't as many apps. At $150 (32g), that's 1/4 the cost of 32g ipad2. Is ipad2 4 times better than TP? Probably not. So at $100/$150, TP is a hellava deal.
  10. #70  
    He didn't pay 600... I didn't pay 600. I paid 100 and don't regret it. HP's price point - actually everyone's besides that new Lenovo tablet - are way off base. 250 would have been fair.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by xrecar View Post
    He didn't pay 600... I didn't pay 600. I paid 100 and don't regret it. HP's price point - actually everyone's besides that new Lenovo tablet - are way off base. 250 would have been fair.
    Unfortunately, you can't build a tablet with specs similar to the TouchPad and still make a profit for $250. Lenovo's using older hardware and a smaller screen that's why they can afford to lower their prices.

    However, I do believe the Lenovo route is what other tablet makers should have gone for in the first place. Apple was first to come out with a successful consumer-oriented tablet. Most folks who have $500+ to spend on a tablet would buy an iPad. Other manufacturers should have never released products priced the same as the iPad, or even if they did, they should have also made lower end tablets so they can build a bigger customer base.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Unfortunately, you can't build a tablet with specs similar to the TouchPad and still make a profit for $250. Lenovo's using older hardware and a smaller screen that's why they can afford to lower their prices.

    However, I do believe the Lenovo route is what other tablet makers should have gone for in the first place. Apple was first to come out with a successful consumer-oriented tablet. Most folks who have $500+ to spend on a tablet would buy an iPad. Other manufacturers should have never released products priced the same as the iPad, or even if they did, they should have also made lower end tablets so they can build a bigger customer base.
    Actually you can make a profit, just not on the hardware. You make your profit on the App/Music/Movies Store.

    How do you think Microsoft broke into the console gaming market? They took a loss on every Xbox sold, to make a profit on the games. Then the Xbox360 was one of the best selling consoles during the next generation war. And I have no doubt that Microsoft will lead the charge again with whatever generation of consoles comes after this one.

    -Jared
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Actually you can make a profit, just not on the hardware. You make your profit on the App/Music/Movies Store.

    How do you think Microsoft broke into the console gaming market? They took a loss on every Xbox sold, to make a profit on the games. Then the Xbox360 was one of the best selling consoles during the next generation war. And I have no doubt that Microsoft will lead the charge again with whatever generation of consoles comes after this one.

    -Jared
    That analogy is flawed. 99% of the time, you have to buy games to get any use out of your 360. A small number may try using it as some sort of media streaming device.

    The TouchPad has everything most people need out of the box. You're not locked in to buying software for it like you are with consoles. And it's going to take a lot of apps for 30% of $1.99 or whatever the average app price is to break even.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Actually you can make a profit, just not on the hardware. You make your profit on the App/Music/Movies Store.
    That's true but a lot of tablet manufacturers just make the hardware. It's Google that reaps the benefits. It's a bit of a Catch-22, you need apps to sell the hardware but you also need a big consumer base to draw in developers.

    Amazon stands to be the only one who can accomplish that and has enough reserves to take a hardware subsidy hit. Microsoft also has the cash if they decide to play that game and they've already got a large consumer base.

    By the way, this just in: Amazon’s Kindle Tablet Is Very Real. I’ve Seen It, Played With It. | TechCrunch
  15. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #75  
    I had 3, staples 200 off first had a crack and bad pixle , exchanged and took it back friday before fireslae and managed to get one in store for 150.

    only the 3rd one ever froze and crash rebooted...and that was before 302 update after its perfect once more.

    I have had no issues other than the sound, I am sad to hear of others issues.

    all my co workers got one when our bookstore released their stash for 150, none of them have had any real issues, but I advised them all to update first thing.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    That analogy is flawed. 99% of the time, you have to buy games to get any use out of your 360. A small number may try using it as some sort of media streaming device.

    The TouchPad has everything most people need out of the box. You're not locked in to buying software for it like you are with consoles. And it's going to take a lot of apps for 30% of $1.99 or whatever the average app price is to break even.
    Some folks only buy 4 or 5 games. At $50 a pop that is only $200-250. The retailer gets a cut out of that and so does the game maker. How much do you think Microsoft is left with? Especially when the console could cost close to $1000 to produce. I think it took Microsoft's game unit 3 years to turn a profit. They took a loss that entire time to build market share and a user base to sell services (Xbox Live!). Once that user base was established and the cost of the hardware dropped, they began to make a profit.

    I used to follow the game industry very closely. I own a PS2, PS3, and a Wii. My son bought an XBox with his own money.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    it's going to take a lot of apps for 30% of $1.99 or whatever the average app price is to break even.
    The Touchpad does not support a lot of video formats out the box. The closest app to do that cost $7 in the app catalog. The Touchpad does not have any 3d games installed out the box. Almost all of the 3d titles are $5 and up. Glimpse is $5. Heck if you want to have fun on your Touchpad you are going to spend close to $50. That is without renting a movie, which cost $4 a pop in the HP Movie Store. Which is about the going rate for digital movie services (unless you want to wait 7 years for Netflix to finally be allowed to stream your movie). Add in the HP peripherals. The keyboard cost $70 retail but really only cost HP about $5 to make. The Touchstone is about the same. The case also. HP sells an extended warranty directly from the app catalog. So you are trying to tell me that with all of that plus the cost of computing hardware halving every 6 months, HP can't make up the difference?
  18. #78  
    You're laying out a perfect scenario where people who buy a tablet are going to purchase all of those things. Most won't. Not to mention the fact that there will be 3rd-party knockoff accessories that sell for less, and HP won't get a dime from them. There is just no way tablet makers can use the same business model as game console manufacturers, it's apples and oranges.

    I would never rent a movie on my tablet. I also won't buy an app that's over $2 for my tablet unless it blows my socks off. I am the worst nightmare of a subsidized tablet, and I'm probably typical.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  19. #79  
    HP spends quite a bit to maintain their app catalog, including staff who create Pivot. For every 30 or 60 cents they earn on their $1 or $2 app sales, they have tons of downloads for free apps. I'm skeptical that app sales are going to be profitable for HP for a long time.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  20. #80  
    My 32gb Touchpad currently works great, however prior to overclocking to 1.5 uberkernel, setting logging to minimal,and following instructions on " http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html ", I noticed slight irritating pausing but nothing like you experienced. Web's 3.02, overclocking to 1.5 and a few patches made all the difference for me.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions