Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Heck you guys don't want it i'll buy it off of you all.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    k4ever and batcountry like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn0591 View Post
    I'm thinking there's an easier way than loading up several pages to read (hoping they stay loaded) before boarding a plane.

Paper Mache? App Review: Paper Mache [for TouchPad] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

The OP has some validity but he could do more to minimize his problems. I would say try taking off an email account or two.
    Taking off an email account or two may help diagnose the problem, but that should not be considered a permanent fix. There's no need to neuter the device, it has the hardware to handle it. I think it's just a tweak or two away.
    bluenote likes this.
    +1 on the thread title. Misleading and unnecessarily harsh for the content of the OP's post.
    Yes, bought a new 32gig from BBuy and I get what you wrote too. Not interested in being a techy so no patches or other homebrew, just want a responsive Touchpad, but for $158 w tax not complaining, maybe they will fix this delay soon. The total web exper is slow and poor at best on this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Bluenote, does jstop run in the background on the Touchpad when the card is closed? Or do I need to keep it opened to auto garbage collect?
    you can close the card just like on the pre. Turn notifications off but you can keep them on at first just to verify it is still running if you like.
    When I had the TouchPad (16GB), it would stutter every now and then. It definitely is not as smooth as a machine with these specs should be.

P.S. I was running stock.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by NorbB View Post
    Yes, bought a new 32gig from BBuy and I get what you wrote too. Not interested in being a techy so no patches or other homebrew, just want a responsive Touchpad, but for $158 w tax not complaining, maybe they will fix this delay soon. The total web exper is slow and poor at best on this thing.
    Please elaborate on this. Maybe there is a simple (non techie) solution to your problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    I too have a 32gig, not having the problems you mention. Do you think it could have to do with the kernel, I only say this because I am using a different one, and am NOT experiencing these problems. I am running mine at 1.7ghz

BTW: Which Kernel are you using? I am using F15c Eagle
    Pretty much the same here - 32Gb model, oc'd to 1.83GHz, no freezes or pauses.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    you can close the card just like on the pre. Turn notifications off but you can keep them on at first just to verify it is still running if you like.
    Thanks! Using it now. I always loved using it on the Pre. For some reason I did not download it to my Pre the last time I doctored it. I'm downloading it to the Pre now. Jstop is a great program for cleaning up memory leaks. Makes webOS run well. I would definitely recommend it to all new Touchpad owners. It is in Preware. Make sure to set it to Auto GC.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Taking off an email account or two may help diagnose the problem, but that should not be considered a permanent fix. There's no need to neuter the device, it has the hardware to handle it. I think it's just a tweak or two away.
    I only meant to try to find out what the problem might be not as a perm fix.
    I had these issues running uberkernel. I uninstalled back to stock, restarted a few times, then upgraded to f15 with the following recommended settings and haven't had an issue since. I recommend you take a look at the kernel and go from there.

as others have mentioned, I don't think your subject line is fair. I've seen $400 laptops perform worse than the small hiccups you mention. You are getting a lot for your money here and once you fix your issue which I'm sure you won't blame webOS for, you'll be more than happy.

Here is the settings for f15 that were recommended in another thread:

Until then my kernel of choice is F15C @ 1.836 GHz and settings are as follows in govnah
    governor: Ondemand
    min freq: 192mhz
    max freq: 1.836GHz
    sampling rate: 0.01 Sec
    up threshold: 65%
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0

I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENO
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    What are your uberkernel settings? I've been running uberkernel at 1.5 with all of the patches installed.
    just running the preconfigured ondemandtcl 1512 profile in govnah. Besides that I just have the logging removal patches applied.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    TP can be unresponsive from 2 seconds to a couple seconds (like 5+) on certain apps like Kindle/facebook, and especially when I run flash content. Flash is buggy and slow. I hate it for mobile systems and hope it dies in favor of HTML5. Apple was right about flash, but it's nice to have the option to use it. However, I still rather use a dedicated youtube app or jtv app than this slow buggy flash
    also strange. My tp runs flash amazingly well. Full screen HD perfectly smooth with no problem. I watched an entire 720p movie the other night using flash with no choppiness at all. I'm surprised by all difference in peoples experiences with the touchpad.
    I had this issue too. I saw a thread of someone removing the uber kernel and it seemed to fix it. Certain keys on my touchpad had dead spots like the E. I have since removed it and things are much better and more responsive. I can type faster and there is much much less lag.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    People have to remember their internet connection speed could have an impact on how smooth their TP can run.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    also strange. My tp runs flash amazingly well. Full screen HD perfectly smooth with no problem. I watched an entire 720p movie the other night using flash with no choppiness at all. I'm surprised by all difference in peoples experiences with the touchpad.
    just curious: what site were you using?
    Indeed this is not an isolated incident, the same thing happens to me (and others):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...yone-else.html

I'm still very happy with my touchpad though.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    just curious: what site were you using?
    not positive but I'm pretty sure it was Hulu.
    32gb touchpad here, 3.02 installed and all the recommended patches.

I get this hanging a lot, quite often i'll open a note or something, start typing, nothing will happen, i'll finger the screen and get nothing, then suddenly a second or two later the text will appear.

Its not good, i like the OS but my 3gs phone runs much more complex and more apps far smoother. Hopefully that means that (if they are still working on it..) HP will be able to quickly patch it.
    No problems here. But first thing I did was install update and patches.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast