Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    strange, mine doesn't freeze up ever. Running uberkernel at 1.5ghz, fyi.
    I am running uberkernel 1.5 too and haven't had a freeze either.
    UberKernel 1.5GHz, all the patches and a slow internet connection - surprisingly this thing still runs fine!

Spaz is pre-beta AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $and$ $it$'$s$ $always$ $giving$ $me$ $issues$ $so$ $I$'$ve$ $pretty$ $much$ $given$ $up$ $on$ $it$ $till$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $new$ $version$ $or$ $alternate$ $software$. $Remember$ $to$ $reboot$ $your$ $tablet$ $fairly$ $regularly$ $too$!
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Mine has not done this at all I would use your warranty to get it replaced.
    I haven't run into any of those problems.
    None of those problems for me either, mine only has the HP updates, no preware and runs fine.
    No freezing here. Mine came running 1.5ghz out of the box.
    I experience this "freezing", which is more like being unresponsive. The performance on the TP can be spotty. I don't know if it is the hardware or the OS.

Sometimes the TP can be unresponsive from 2 seconds to a couple seconds (like 5+) on certain apps like Kindle/facebook, and especially when I run flash content. Flash is buggy and slow. I hate it for mobile systems and hope it dies in favor of HTML5. Apple was right about flash, but it's nice to have the option to use it. However, I still rather use a dedicated youtube app or jtv app than this slow buggy flash in a browser.

I would be mad if paid near full price for this product! But at firesale price I am quite happy.
    Mine pauses every now and then, not as bad as what you've reported, but enough that it annoys me when it happens.

It's a 3-5 second pause. If I'm typing, it remembers the keystrokes and fills them in when it's unpaused. It's basically what was reported in the precentral review of the TouchPad.

This is with and without preware. I've disabled logging and have all the recommended patches. Have tried every kernel (not to fix it, I've kind of learned to live with it).

All of that combines for snappy performance that is nearly 99 percent of the time on par with the latest from Apple and Samsung. That 1% of the time? The TouchPad inexplicably stops for a few seconds. We were told by HP that the user interface (and the rest of webOS 3.0) still isnít fully GPU-accelerated, which could account for some of the slowdowns, but our suspicion is that there are still some optimizations to be made. Actually, we hope thatís the case, because these multi-second (occasionally up to 10 seconds) can be especially frustrating. The OS does pay attention to whatís going on during those freezes, so once it finally catches up all your taps and swipes during that time are applied in quick succession.
    vanzanthp likes this.
    SPAZ has been fingered for having memory issues (don't know if that is true).

I have experienced your problem with heavy usage, especially flash. I installed j-stop (find it in preware) and enabled auto garbage collect. That helped a lot (I think cut it down by 99%). For all else, I do luna restart with Jason's reset patch.

I did notice that a new tablet I was setting up for someone felt very unresponsive to me out of the box before installing 3.02 and the patches. Once I installed, it felt fine. I installed j-stop on that one also, just in case there were future problems.

Also I try to keep under 10 cards running (under 6-7 if I have flash).
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This is the sort of thread that really really begs for a trollish response. You say you have problems AFTER you install an overclocking kernel and have done this and that, installed various patches, installed apps, etc. Then you do nothing to track down if one of these things may have been the source of the problems.

The FIRST thing I would do would be to uninstall UberKernel and see if that fixes it. Not every device overclocks equally, and some may not overclock at all(though I doubt it). Doing a WebOS Doctor, and seeing if you still have the problem would be the final test to make sure nothing YOU did is the source of the problems.

If you look at the car enthusiast market, if you put in a bunch of custom mods and run into trouble, do you say the STOCK car is at fault because after all those mods it doesn't run properly?!? Complaining about a out of the box situation is valid, but complaining after you overclock is another.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    strange, mine doesn't freeze up ever. Running uberkernel at 1.5ghz, fyi.
    What are your uberkernel settings? I've been running uberkernel at 1.5 with all of the patches installed. I still get some random freezes (at least 3 times a day). I have also noticed that the browser (using Advanced Browser) will sometimes not download a web page even though I have a good internet connection. If I close and reopen the browser everything works well again. I have also had trouble with the keyboard lagging while typing in the browser. Closing and reopening the browser fixes that also.

I wish I can find that magical computing device that doesn't have problems. My $800 laptop has some weird quarks also. My desktop that I built myself has issues sometimes also. Guess that's why there are software updates. There is a bug report thread here that everyone can use to report any weird issues they are having. Hopefully someone over at HP reads PreCentral. You can also report problems to the Butler guys. No need making a new thread with an inflammatory headline every time someone finds a bug. It is indeed worth $149 and more, as long as we keep receiving software updates.
    I've noticed the same thing. Use Govnah and notice how much memory is in use. A number of apps seem to have memory leaks and some are worse than others. After lots of use you'll see the system start to get sluggish as the free memory decreases and it's forced to use swap.

I've noticed this happens when the memory use gets to about 800 MB. After a reboot you'll notice the system uses 250-300 MB (from my memory - can't recall exact figure). The JSTop app helps a lot with its automatic garbage collection freeing up JavaScript memory but it only goes so far. The real problem is the apps which aren't freeing their memory up correctly when they're shutdown, and without them being fixed you'll find a reboot is occasionally necessary.
    I havent seen as much as a 2 second slow down in 3 days of heavy usage (about 8 hours a day).

I would echo the advice to install JStop. I found that if I didn't restart my Pre- (or use JStop) memory leaks would pile up over a 3 days of heavy usage and bring it to stop. It got to the point where I could only use one card at a time. Restarting the device restored it to its awesomeness.

I would also temporarily set those email accounts to retrieve as necessary or something like every hour. Perhaps you think they are push, but they are not. Best to eliminate factors that you can control to diagnose the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    This is the sort of thread that really really begs for a trollish response. You say you have problems AFTER you install an overclocking kernel and have done this and that, installed various patches, installed apps, etc. Then you do nothing to track down if one of these things may have been the source of the problems.

The FIRST thing I would do would be to uninstall UberKernel and see if that fixes it. Not every device overclocks equally, and some may not overclock at all(though I doubt it). Doing a WebOS Doctor, and seeing if you still have the problem would be the final test to make sure nothing YOU did is the source of the problems.

If you look at the car enthusiast market, if you put in a bunch of custom mods and run into trouble, do you say the STOCK car is at fault because after all those mods it doesn't run properly?!? Complaining about a out of the box situation is valid, but complaining after you overclock is another.
    Agreed. I don't know if that was the OP's intent. Maybe the OP is looking for help but using a derogatory subject for the thread will cause the opposite effect. There is a sticky for bugs. It is currently 23 pages long so no one on this site is trying to hide problems with their Touchpads.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-tracking.html

There is also separate forums for app issues and patching.

To any new users reading this I am a member of other forums that cover Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows issues. Every device has problems. Chose a device based on what you need and what you can afford, then hit up the forums for your particular device for HELP. People are willing to help you as long as you don't approach them with complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    SPAZ has been fingered for having memory issues (don't know if that is true).

I have experienced your problem with heavy usage, especially flash. I installed j-stop (find it in preware) and enabled auto garbage collect. That helped a lot (I think cut it down by 99%). For all else, I do luna restart with Jason's reset patch.

I did notice that a new tablet I was setting up for someone felt very unresponsive to me out of the box before installing 3.02 and the patches. Once I installed, it felt fine. I installed j-stop on that one also, just in case there were future problems.

Also I try to keep under 10 cards running (under 6-7 if I have flash).
    jstop works on the Touchpad? Wow that brings back memories. I'm going to download it right now.
    Bluenote, does jstop run in the background on the Touchpad when the card is closed? Or do I need to keep it opened to auto garbage collect?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Mine pauses every now and then, not as bad as what you've reported, but enough that it annoys me when it happens.

It's a 3-5 second pause. If I'm typing, it remembers the keystrokes and fills them in when it's unpaused. It's basically what was reported in the precentral review of the TouchPad.

This is with and without preware. I've disabled logging and have all the recommended patches. Have tried every kernel (not to fix it, I've kind of learned to live with it).
    DId you patch with remove ripple? and did patch with increase sensitivity these should be required because both will solve this, I type pretty fast now no delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    DId you patch with remove ripple? and did patch with increase sensitivity these should be required because both will solve this, I type pretty fast now no delays.
    I have both installed.

The pauses don't seem to have anything to do with processing, I think it's just some further optimization that's required. I tend to notice it most if I'm typing or need to page down. It just pauses for a bit (3-5 seconds), then it comes back. As I said too, it's not like it's impossible to deal with. It's just annoying and would love to see it fixed. If I'm reading something and it's happening, I wouldn't notice because I'm not doing anything with the UI.
    I'm thinking there's an easier way than loading up several pages to read (hoping they stay loaded) before boarding a plane.

Paper Mache? App Review: Paper Mache [for TouchPad] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

The OP has some validity but he could do more to minimize his problems. I would say try taking off an email account or two.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast