Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just a fun thought. Imagine HP holding their last batch of touchpads, for the day that apple releases the ipad3. Wouldn't it be fun to see a sell off between the two companies. On one hand, you'll have a mad rush of apple die-hards trying to be the "first" to get their ipad and on the other hand, you'll have a mad rush of people trying to get a $99 touchpad. I wonder which crowd would pull in more?

The recent video at COMEX which shows that there's still an insane amount of people trying to get the touchpad can be viewed here (towards the bottom):

HP TouchPad at COMEX 2011 draws huge (angry) crowd by VR-Zone.com

Imagine if HP pulled this stunt right - they might actually show the world that webos is actually competing with ios. It might be the last piece of ammunition left in their arsenal against ios for a while.

I think it would be fun to see Apple not get as much attention as they normally do. HP should announce that they'll be giving away the HP Touchpads in Central Park. That should bring in a serious mob that might actually rival the apple mob just down the street!

Of course the iPad3 will be a massive leap forward from the touchpad, but still, I think it would be fun to watch and give HP quite the PRPRPR!!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Dude, HP is getting rid of webOS devices, they don't care about PRPRPR.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Dude, HP is getting rid of webOS devices, they don't care about PRPRPR.
    HP is getting rid of THEIR webOS devices, they're not getting rid of webOS. Latest discussions at HP were that they will likely license it out to other manufacturers. This would show demand to companies like Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. That would encourage them to either make devices that run webOS or bid for it (even though I don't believe HP will sell off webOS)

A rival crowd to ios would also show developers that there are a lot of webos customers looking to download apps. With webos in it's infancy (app count), a developer would realize that their app is likely to be noticed and not buried in the ios cloud of apps.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 09/01/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    The easiest way to draw people away from a $400 tablet is to offer one at $99 (or even $200... but since $99 is already on peoples' mind it could be tough).

I work in electronics retail and we see a lot of iPads coming back because people either can't do what they want to do on it or they can't justify spending over $400 on what is basically just a toy.
    But $99 is a different story...
    The easiest way to draw people away from a $400 tablet is to offer one at $99 (or even $200... but since $99 is already on peoples' mind it could be tough).
    Agreed!

Look the crowd in line to buy a TouchPad!

But from the HP TouchPad Specifications, I think it's Completely worth $99!
    OleSalt likes this.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    HP is getting rid of THEIR webOS devices, they're not getting rid of webOS. Latest discussions at HP were that they will likely license it out to other manufacturers. This would show demand to companies like Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. That would encourage them to either make devices that run webOS or bid for it (even though I don't believe HP will sell off webOS)

A rival crowd to ios would also show developers that there are a lot of webos customers looking to download apps. With webos in it's infancy (app count), a developer would realize that their app is likely to be noticed and not buried in the ios cloud of apps.
    First of all, they are not likely to license it - I would put it at most 40% chance someone licenses the OS. Sadly, most likely they will auction off the patents.

Having a popular product because its $99 is not going to entice any company to license it - they do need to make money off of the devices.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I'd take that bet with anyone. iPad 3 sells more on day 1 of it's release than Touchpad sells in a month.
    Last edited by genearch; 09/02/2011 at 01:09 PM.
    HP is set to do a limited run of 100,000 more TP's. Apple sells that roughly every day. When the ipad3 is released you can expect over 1,000,000 sales the opening weekend. HP simply isn't making enough in this next batch to dent what will be ipad3 sales. If HP were to make 1 million tablets and hold them until the ipad3 release (which by the way won't be until 2012) then I could see it. But don't hold your breath.
    A lot of people will just buy an iPad no matter what the price is at this point.

Certainly HP could easily kill every other tablet on the market, if they wanted to do so... I'd like to see someone license webOS but it's looking more and more like anyone buying would just be in it for the patents.

Maybe if OSG is spun off quickly enough they would be in a position to reverse the cancelation on hardware... but having that happen next year will be too late.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post

Certainly HP could easily kill every other tablet on the market, if they wanted to do so...
    Explain? At losing over $200 per?
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    30.7 Billion in revenue in 2010? Whats a couple million in lost tablets?
    It doesn't matter how much HP is losing if they are selling more than all other tablets put together (excluding the iPad, of course).
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    It doesn't matter how much HP is losing if they are selling more than all other tablets put together (excluding the iPad, of course).
    It doesn't

So it makes sense to lose $200M intentionally just to get WebOS in the hands of consumers?

Smart business indeed

Here's HP's 1 year plan

H-P's One-Year Plan - WSJ.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpierson View Post
    30.7 Billion in revenue in 2010? Whats a couple million in lost tablets?
    A quick google: "Revenue is the money that comes into your business. It does not take into account expenses and cash outflow. As a result, revenue is not a good measure of sustainable success."
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    HP is set to do a limited run of 100,000 more TP's. Apple sells that roughly every day. When the ipad3 is released you can expect over 1,000,000 sales the opening weekend. HP simply isn't making enough in this next batch to dent what will be ipad3 sales. If HP were to make 1 million tablets and hold them until the ipad3 release (which by the way won't be until 2012) then I could see it. But don't hold your breath.
    Spoken by Mac.World, Not an Apple Fan but loves the TP and HP products

LOL Yet it has been reported in this short time its #2 tablet right now

anyway I do not know what HP will really do

we have two of these tablets and now just found out I will be out of work (Great) so I may sell one on the bay later

anyway

HP may restart the tablets at a lower price and improvements

I think its hard to know since all of this seems like a Knee jerk reaction by the CEO ( jerk is correct here)

SO after careful analysis of the frenzy

one thing I cannot overlook is no amount of money in the world can buy you advertising that creates this frenzy for the Tablet

APple did not have it till after years

HP had is within hours it went viral
    I have read many posts where people are satisfied with paying 250 to 299 for the tablet so if that is the case then HP has a goal

if they can find profit in making them and retailing them at 299 I think they may still have a tablet

I like 250 but I do not think they can do it that low.

For those who say it can't be done........... Your wrong

anything can be done it just takes time research and innovation.

I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post

the talk of supporting webOS tbh was at best "after the clusterfudge" talk after they realised they just made a colossal error, at best i can see them simply wanting to pass on or justify their palm aquisition/expenses.

they lost a ton of money through complete stupidity and will use any old excuse to claw some back, i think that pretty much covers their situation, and "dedication" to webOS.
    DRFP likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    A quick google: "Revenue is the money that comes into your business. It does not take into account expenses and cash outflow. As a result, revenue is not a good measure of sustainable success."
    I was not necessarily talking about "success" (since we know they are successful) I am talking about the loss taken from this sale not really affecting HP in the long run. Taken from this last quarters financial statement "HP exited the quarter with $13.0 billion in gross cash." There is also a blurb in there about the touchpads... in case you are curious.

URL: HP Investor Relations - Financial news
    My point was simply that you couldn't just say "what's another million..."

From that link:

As part of the transformation, HP announced that its board of directors has authorized the exploration of strategic alternatives for the company's Personal Systems Group. HP will consider a broad range of options that may include, among others, a full or partial separation of PSG from HP through a spin-off or other transaction. (See accompanying press release.)

HP will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. The devices have not met internal milestones and financial targets. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.
    It doesn't

So it makes sense to lose $200M intentionally just to get WebOS in the hands of consumers?
    Who said anything about making sense??? According to Google's own figures, only around 1.3-1.4M Android 3.x tablets have been sold in total.

HP's fire sale moved a huge number of units, intended or not. Prior reports had HP manufacturing 400-450k units each month. I figure they did this for at least June and July as they ramped up the release. Whatever they made in August plus the next run of production should easily put them well over 1M tablets... and all the people who just bought the TP are going to forego buying any other tablets in the near future. This is going to hurt other brands.

RIM is already pushing sale prices for the Playbook this weekend and, reportedly Staples will be offering the 16GB Playbook for $249 next week (down from $499). Other slow selling tablets will sell even more slowly for the rest of the year, imo.

Here's HP's 1 year plan

H-P's One-Year Plan - WSJ.com

Wow... I had forgotten half of that stuff. When you read it all listed out like that it's just... wow.

I feel so bad for the thousands and thousands of people who are employed by this company world wide. Not the knucklehead executives making these decisions, no, they'll get nice bonuses as compensation when they leave or are finally thrown out by the stockholders once they wake up and give a damn. No, it's the people that will eventually lose their jobs as this downward spiral continues until they are bought out by <fill in the blank>.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast