1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to get Java software on the TouchPad? If not can anyone tell me why? Hardware limitation? Do any tablets have java?
    because java is crap. I don't know of any tablet that runs java applets. Android is mostly java and that's its biggest fault. Palm removed the java services in webOS 2 for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    because java is crap. I don't know of any tablet that runs java applets. Android is mostly java and that's its biggest fault. Palm removed the java services in webOS 2 for a reason.
    I'm not sure why you are equating Java with applets. I also don't agree with your sweeping generalizations. Java is a language...and it is hardly "crap." Java also doesn't imply Applets, which are an infrequently used specialized type of application written in java and designed to run client-side in a browser-based VM.

I am fairly sure that the OP is asking about the availability of a native JVM running running on the OS for development or to run prepackaged apps, like Opera.

So...in answer to the OP, you would need a JVM that runs on the specific version of Linux optimized for these devices. There was something available in 1.4.5, when the runtime Luna framework included a bunch of JAR files. I think it's gone as of 2.0.

This guy was giving it a shot at one point:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-45-2-0-a.html

I haven't heard much since. Android is king for Java-based development. They support nearly the full API with their reverse engineered Dalvik JVM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre