Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By MiamiArch
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else notice the big center of screen that is not being used? The card thing (in its current state) is just not very cogent. My greatest desire is that we'll soon be able to move the cards wherever we want, instead of having them stuck in the center.

You should be able to make a stack of cards, put them down and come back to them later. Shortcuts, shortcuts, shortcuts is the name of the game. Who's with me?
    Pull them down out of the way for what purpose? If staring at your wallpaper's what you want, then buy Clearview. You can keep your cards open, set your Clearview "invisible" card up and there you go.

I wouldn't expect major GUI changes in webOS anytime soon. There's things higher on the priority list.
    troudt likes this.
  3.    #3  
    One thing I find rather irritating about the Touchpad is everything isn't movable. When you are forced so slide your finger horizontally like a machine, it gets very tiring. It's especially the case with the launcher. I know I could just tap the top buttons. But it's touchscreen, it's supposed to be touchy! And how many times do you have to tap before copy and paste comes up? Incredibly inconvenient.
    You're asking for an almost complete redesign of the fundamental design language of webOS. Your idea is not a bad one but I don't think it's realistic to expect any significant changes to the way the cards work until a major point release, like webOS 4.0. However, as we all know, the likely hood of us ever seeing a major point release for webOS again, is next to zero.
    For an address bar, tap once and the URL turns yellow. Tap again, Cut, Copy & Paste show up. Not inconvenient at all, if you know how it works.

Your entitled to your opinion on the tiring motion of switching cards, many people like it.

If you're in your launcher you can simply press the buttons at the top of the page to switch between pages, no need to swipe if you don't want to.

If you're in a body of text, press and hold your finger on a word, you may need to zoom in to make it easier. Select, Select All & Paste show up.

If you have the Improve Touch Sensitivity Patch installed, the newest one that allows up to 100fps, you will find that your text selection process is much more accurate now than ever. I highly suggest installing that patch, you can find all the details on that HERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    When you are forced so slide your finger horizontally like a machine, it gets very tiring.
    If by this you mean when you have several cards open and you slide through them, yesterday I realized that if you tap above or below the cards to the right , the cards slide left and vice-versa. Try it, might work better for you...or at least you have another option...
    sledge007 likes this.
    I never noticed that before!
  8.    #8  
    And it's one thing you'll find that as technology becomes more humane, it will be effortless to interact with things. We should be restricted as much, you should be able to move certain things backways frontways sideways, diagonally and any other way you can think of.. Effortless.. Constant repeated motions make my wrists hurt.
    If you're using your wrists that much just flicking cards away, you may be doing it wrong.
    Last edited by ailire; 09/13/2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    And it's one thing you'll find that as technology becomes more humane, it will be effortless to interact with things. We should be restricted as much, you should be able to move certain things backways frontways sideways, diagonally and any other way you can think of.. Effortless.. Constant repeated motions make my wrists hurt.
    You sound like you are making really wide and long gestures like my mom. Try doing shorter gestures to go from one card to another, or to flick away a card, or to go into card view. I had to tell my mom the same thing. There's no reason to spend that much effort with the gestures unless you really like doing it.
    One thing I miss the most from Android is widgets, though I was never a fan of the "field of icons" UI design.
    I'm a minimalist. All I have is a recycle bin on my Win 7 desktop. So I love the WebOS interface! No chance of clutter!
    I kind of agree with the OP. Cards just don't seem to scale very well, especially when you get into a heavier workflow.

I'd gladly give up stacks to get minicards back.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    I'm a minimalist. All I have is a recycle bin on my Win 7 desktop. So I love the WebOS interface! No chance of clutter!
    Me too, which is why I appreciate the Touchpad's clean-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I kind of agree with the OP. Cards just don't seem to scale very well, especially when you get into a heavier workflow.

I'd gladly give up stacks to get minicards back.
    The wallpaper in the background is something you can't access. For some reason, I always wanted to put sticky notes there. It feels like a locked level in a videogame- you can see it, but you can't touch it.
    Lack of the mini card view was something I immediately noticed in my jump from 1.4.5 to 3.0.0. I'd love to see that style of view return, or even enhanced, is it gave a much better overall picture of your total workspace, and it made it easier to rearrange some cards.

Some kind of exposť style view to see your total cards in play on the TP would be great.