Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Who needs a desktop app? I just mounted my Box.net storage as a vertual drive in Windows. Was pretty simply and it worked pretty nicely.
    Well I did that too and I thought the Webdav solution was unbearable , like getting file folder names was even slow.

Anyway in all fairness it is a decent deal considering that it is free, but I would never update to paid account mostly because I cannot get a desktop app with the first paid account, second I have found their upload speeds to be terrible. If you just share docs, small sizes that is fine however I would not attempt to put 99.999 mb file on their servers. I can upload such files to other providers much faster.
    Interesting thread and I too was a bit surprised by the 100MB limit but as it has been stated, it was a "free" offer.

I wasn't planning on uploading large media files anyway and frankly just thought it would be nice to have files that I create on my Touchpad (notes etc.) in the cloud and easy to get from other machines and visa-versa.

The concern to me is a company that is hosting and has access to my content could "misconfigure" something (or so the story is) and "not notice it". So what happens when they "mis-configure" a storage migration and lose my content, or "mis-configure" their security and expose my content?

Most importantly on that last security item does everyone realize that encryption is only available on box.net business accounts? Are you really interested in in using a service that basically just stores your stuff in the clear?

For my purposes dropbox, even with a 2GB limit but with SSL and AES-256 bit encryption is the only place I plan on pushing any of my content into the cloud. Add to that the fact that the great little Touchpad notes taking app Tapnotes has built in sync with dropbox pretty much closes the deal.

So to box.net - thanks, good luck, but no thanks.
    kurt178 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetude View Post
    Interesting thread and I too was a bit surprised by the 100MB limit but as it has been stated, it was a "free" offer.

The concern to me is a company that is hosting and has access to my content could "misconfigure" something (or so the story is) and "not notice it". So what happens when they "mis-configure" a storage migration and lose my content, or "mis-configure" their security and expose my content?

So to box.net - thanks, good luck, but no thanks.
    Personally I feel the mis-configured story came about when Box.net realized that 800,000 TouchPad owners sprouted up overnight. Someone at Box.net probably screamed, "OUR BANDWIDTH!!!! QUICK - DO SOMETHING!!!!". I'm sure Box.net's growth and capability was projected along a line representing a modest, or below modest, sale of TouchPads. That growth chart obviously changed when 800,000 Touchpad went splat on the open field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lektriklisa View Post
    That growth chart obviously changed when 800,000 Touchpad went splat on the open field.
    I bet only a tiny minority of people are using box.net on their TP .. I signed up for it myself around july 3rd but I have loaded the app maybe a grand total of 3 times, and haven't put anything other than a couple of test files on it.

I'd use it more if it had more transparent integration into the OS (to the point where apps wouldn't need to support it it's just 'there'), and if I had 10x the upload bandwidth that I have(which for home I have 1Mbit - I can go as high as 5Mbit but even that isn't that great for this kind of thing).

While I don't yet use it on my TP my own cloud storage is a 1U server sitting in a local co-location facility with 3.6TB of RAID-10 storage.
    This is why you don't store anything critical that if lost you are totally devastated; and nothing of a sensitive nature that is to say nothing you don't care if someone else could see it. Which leads to my next though relavent to the next statement from your post:

Most importantly on that last security item does everyone realize that encryption is only available on box.net business accounts? Are you really interested in in using a service that basically just stores your stuff in the clear?
    I never thought about it but assumed these sorts of cloud services had encryption and security to prevent anyone from being able to see anything you are storing on their services. Could you elaborate on the implications of this? Like for example, does this mean that anyone at box.net can just pull up the HD our stuff is stored on and poke around in the files? Are there any other things like google and yahoo contacts etc that we should be concerned about not being as safe as it could be because of this sort of thing?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    This is why you don't store anything critical that if lost you are totally devastated; and nothing of a sensitive nature that is to say nothing you don't care if someone else could see it. Which leads to my next though relavent to the next statement from your post:

I never thought about it but assumed these sorts of cloud services had encryption and security to prevent anyone from being able to see anything you are storing on their services. Could you elaborate on the implications of this? Like for example, does this mean that anyone at box.net can just pull up the HD our stuff is stored on and poke around in the files? Are there any other things like google and yahoo contacts etc that we should be concerned about not being as safe as it could be because of this sort of thing?

I agree that you want to make some very good decisions about what content you want to put in the cloud and where, but no matter what I put up there I do not want an admin to easily look at my files and when there is no encryption they could very well do that. Even worse, what it they have a breach? I would much rather my files be encrypted so the are useless to them and frankly if they know a service has encryption they would likely not bother. I know the argument is "oh it's just my music files, who cares?", but what about photos? Do you want the possibility of someone having open access to your personal photos without your consent? That's why services like dropbox provide security by default (SSL to encrypt as you transfer and AES-256 bit encryption for the files once they are stored).

Here are the links to the features of each service that point out the security differences:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/27

Box.net | Select Your Plan - Free, Individual, Business, or Enterprise ~ Free Trial for paid accounts

Notice that dropbox provides secure transfer and storage by default while box.net only provides that on enterprise accounts.

As far as other cloud services, the only one I know much about is Google docs - you can turn on SSL, but they do NOT encrypt your files. Here is a quote from a Google employee on the subject:

"With regards to encryption, if we encrypted the data in such a way that it could not be decrypted by Google (only the user has the key) there would be several severe penalties. 1) Docs would slow down dramatically since we couldn't compress updates and your client would be constantly thrashing with a JavaScript-based encryption-decryption algorithm. 2) Document sizes would shrink due to the increased load on the browser. 3) Docs would no longer be collaborative and multi-user since the required client-side merging would be impossible. 4) History of changes would be impossible since the server can't diff the documents. 5) Spell-check, table of contents, footnotes, document conversions and most other server-side functionality would be impossible. 6) Docs might not be legal in certain jurisdictions (e.g. the UK RIP Act). We do think about this periodically, but at the moment the drawbacks of such encryption are overwhelmingly negative."

This is from a thread on the subject here (I quoted because his response was way down in the thread):

Is it safe to upload private documents on Google Docs?

At the end of the day it is up to each individual to decide how protected they want to be - services that provide that protection without it being a burden to me are always going to be preferred.
    karun likes this.
    Pictures definitely would be an issue with some people. And that's a good point about if the security is in place it makes the service less desirable to try and gain access to stuff. That's interesting info about google docs. I use google docs but only for information I would publicly display so it doesn't matter if anyone else sees my docs. Some of them are even shared publicly as read only. Anything somewhat sensitive in nature for docs I keep on a USB flash stick and only plug it in when I need it. Anything critical is encrypted on an offline device so that even with the device in hand anyone but me can't easily access the stuff.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I bet only a tiny minority of people are using box.net on their TP .. I signed up for it myself around july 3rd but I have loaded the app maybe a grand total of 3 times, and haven't put anything other than a couple of test files on it.

I'd use it more if it had more transparent integration into the OS (to the point where apps wouldn't need to support it it's just 'there'), and if I had 10x the upload bandwidth that I have(which for home I have 1Mbit - I can go as high as 5Mbit but even that isn't that great for this kind of thing).

While I don't yet use it on my TP my own cloud storage is a 1U server sitting in a local co-location facility with 3.6TB of RAID-10 storage.
    That's about how many times I used it. I need an app to upload or sync files, thats not included with this promotion.
    to everyone who suggests accessing box.net via webdav with windows or with a client like webdrive or netdrive, that's great if it works for you. But it's not desktop sync.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but after setting up box.net on my PC and TP I can only seem to download one folder at a time from the cloud service. I am not even able to download more than one song or picture at a time? For instance if I go in a folder that contains music or pictures and select more than one at a time and click download, I get upgrade to support multiple file dowloads. This even though all the pics/songs are in the same folder on the service?
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Europe is nice.
    Last edited by DizWhiz; 09/16/2011 at 02:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I will be happy to use the service even with file size restriction and lack of syncing. What is not okay is to be only able to download 1 song or picture at a time from their service. Is this right?
    FWIW when I initially signed up and tried to upload I had a 100mb limit. Now mine is up to 1GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    LOL at the complaints about a free service. Who knows, maybe they could have broken the contract based on HP's discontinuing production of TP hardware and decided not to (with some tweaks to the original terms of agreement). Geez, let's not get too greedy.

Only in America free isn't good enough. If anyone wants to back-up movies and music, you will have to pay. They do offer an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    I will be happy to use the service even with file size restriction and lack of syncing. What is not okay is to be only able to download 1 song or picture at a time from their service. Is this right?
    The service is probably limited to one concurrent download (as apposed to consecutive). There might be a limitation for it to distinguish between the two but not sure. I have never used any cloud storage as a method of transferring to my devices only as a method of reading the files from the cloud storage. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789