Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    tues the 23rd got my TP

50gb/1gb cap file size
    hmm... those with 1GB file limit got a HP Home TP or a HP SMB TP?? maybe there's a difference between home and "business" Touchpads?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Here's my email and response. FYI, I have not responded to this nor will... and anyone else who emailed them should do the same so they don't go hunting down those with the max 1gig accounts.

Response Via Email (Rachelle) 09/01/2011 08:03 PM
    Hello,

Thank you for your message,

The promotion we have for HP Touchpad users is a free upgrade to 50GB and a max file size limit of 100mg. All the other features of this promotional account are the same as the free, 5GB account. Would you mind telling me where you saw the promotion for 50GB storage and 1GB max file size for HP Touchpad users so that we can correct it to 100MB?

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Sincerely,
    The Box.net Team

Customer By Web Form 09/01/2011 07:58 PM
    Hi, I have the 50gb account I singed up with my Touchpad. It seems there is a 100mb file size limit. However some other users that signed up via Touchpad is reporting a file size limit of 1gb. Is there any way you can set my account to 1gb file size please?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    hmm... those with 1GB file limit got a HP Home TP or a HP SMB TP?? maybe there's a difference between home and "business" Touchpads?
    No, I bought mine at Best Buy on the first day of the clearance and I have a 1GB file limit.
    I have 1GB upload, Registered 19th July via TouchPad app. I'm scared all you guys calling is going to result in our accounts getting crippled to 100MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    I have 1GB upload, Registered 19th July via TouchPad app. I'm scared all you guys calling is going to result in our accounts getting crippled to 100MB.
    Yeah, the email trying to upsell me to a business plan makes me suspect something like that is inevitable.
    I heard back from the journalist at PC Magazine who wrote the article about Box.net that I referred to above. The response is going to disappoint:

"According to Box, the original promotion they agreed upon with HP was for 50GB of free cloud storage with a 100MB file size limit for uploads, but a "misconfiguration" on their end set it to 1GB for a few users. That's been corrected, but Box said it will honor the 1GB upload limit for those who got it by mistake.

The 5GB listing on peoples' accounts (including my own) was also a mistake, they said, and it will be changed to say 50GB.

So basically, sounds like we all get 50GB but are limited to 100MB on uploads. I'll update the story so others know, too!"

I'm calling BS on this because it seems they let the misconfiguration go on for close to 2 months and changed it days after the HP announced the fire sale. Seems like suspicious timing to me.

Anyway, congrats to those who got the better service. I pointed this out to the salesman looking to upsell me and said, that my impression of the company is minimal due to their mismanagement of this and their errors.
    i set my box.net account last year or the year before and i only have a 100Mb per file limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frighten View Post
    Ethernet specifications allow cable lengths of up to 328 (100m) feet before needing some type of repeating, your 50 foot cable is normal :P but it finally started uploading for me fine, took a few tries though not sure why it wasn't working properly. But the limitation on single file downloads and not being able to drag and drop upload a folder, having to do files individually and recreate a folder system in their hosting is really annoying and useless.
    Ohhh I know about the ethernet length, just wanted to be very specific about my setup, mainly about my low speed DSL, but figured I'd add complete details.

I agree the interface isn't awesome. I am mainly looking for cloud for stuff that I won't need to access, but would be nice to have somewhere else if I needed to. That's why it's music, photos, and my huge collection of VW information (some of which is irreplaceable).

The other thing I will probably use it for is to inventory some of the things I have for insurance purposes, just in case something were to happen. I have sports and VW collectibles for example.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I'm calling BS on this because it seems they let the misconfiguration go on for close to 2 months and changed it days after the HP announced the fire sale. Seems like suspicious timing to me.
    I think it makes perfect sense, huge influx of users alerted them to the error, and some of the firesale folks that set their up right away did get the 1 gig. In this case it is very believable that the influx tipped them to their mistake.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I agree with OldSkoolVWLover. As much as I love my TP, I would never have paid $500 for it, nor did 99.9999% of people, which is why they discontinued it. The few hundred or thousand (maybe) people who did actually buy one at old retail prices probably wasn't enough volume to make Box.net notice. But when suddenly you have hundreds of thousands of people signing up for accounts, that's going to trigger someone noticing the 'glitch'.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    I agree with OldSkoolVWLover. As much as I love my TP, I would never have paid $500 for it, nor did 99.9999% of people, which is why they discontinued it. The few hundred or thousand (maybe) people who did actually buy one at old retail prices probably wasn't enough volume to make Box.net notice. But when suddenly you have hundreds of thousands of people signing up for accounts, that's going to trigger someone noticing the 'glitch'.
    I would say there was at least thousands sold before the firesale..... those of us that did buy before the firesale got or tried to get at least another for the most part. Some folks bought and activated 4 or more devices. In our house we tripled the amount of TP's we own, and I sold another at cost to a coworker. So that was from 1 to 4 in use (and I am only one example).
    dropbox for the win less space yea but no file limit or anything else i know of
    and they have a client for OS X as well
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I would say there was at least thousands sold before the firesale..... those of us that did buy before the firesale got or tried to get at least another for the most part. Some folks bought and activated 4 or more devices. In our house we tripled the amount of TP's we own, and I sold another at cost to a coworker. So that was from 1 to 4 in use (and I am only one example).
    Maybe a thousand or two but I think that's pushing it. Granted we'll never really know for certain, but the price point was simply way too high. If it was $200-350ish, sure. But at $500, it was trying to compete directly with iPad customers and didn't have a chance. First, Apple ******* will pay a premium because they want the brand. HP doesn't have that type of loyalty. Second, because it simply wasn't worth the higher prices and people knew it. If people wouldn't by an iPad for $500, they aren't going to by a TP for $500. An Android for a couple hundred less, sure.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    Maybe a thousand or two but I think that's pushing it. Granted we'll never really know for certain, but the price point was simply way too high. If it was $200-350ish, sure. But at $500, it was trying to compete directly with iPad customers and didn't have a chance. First, Apple ******* will pay a premium because they want the brand. HP doesn't have that type of loyalty. Second, because it simply wasn't worth the higher prices and people knew it. If people wouldn't by an iPad for $500, they aren't going to by a TP for $500. An Android for a couple hundred less, sure.
    Wow. I can't believe that word got censored...
    Just signed up and got the 100mb upload limit also
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I just signed up yesterday. Do I have to try an upload to see the error?
    STILL can't upload ANY of my 32kb songs to box.net. I let it run over night and the first song wouldn't even upload....what a piece of crap. Hopefully it's only because a lot of people are using it now, I REALLY hope it starts working....box.net was the reason I didn't get a 32gb TP because I thought I would be able to use box.net
    Box.net is very slow. The Bulk Upload always time out. The space is good but the usability is very poor.

This is the fourth day of uploading my photo collection about 7 GB. Mostly manually dong one folder at a time (because th bulk Upload times out too much).

I am just using it as a back-up storage.

For daily use, Dropbox is so much nicer and faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    Box.net is very slow. The Bulk Upload always time out. The space is good but the usability is very poor.

This is the fourth day of uploading my photo collection about 7 GB. Mostly manually dong one folder at a time (because th bulk Upload times out too much).

I am just using it as a back-up storage.

For daily use, Dropbox is so much nicer and faster.
    yea, bulk uploads time out more often than not.
    but I did manage to get my junk uploaded and box.net does have decent integration with gDocs which I use a lot. All in all a nice freebie