Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    With Firefox coming to Android soon, webOS will surely follow. That'll fix the browser problem. Frankly, the Touchpad browser gives me little trouble. It even works well on the Amazon Cloud Player. Try THAT on your iPad.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I honestly believe the firesale will help (at least in the short term) the available applications. Sure the current selection is quite limited compared to other OSs, but that means that there is serious room for growth by developers. While the number of devices will probably reach a limit and begin to dwindle down, there are now hundreds of thousands of new customers out there willing to shell out money for cool applications.

If I was a developer, I would dedicate some serious focus into making some useful applications for WebOS, and to do it quickly. In many cases, they might be the first ones on the market to do a specific task. Since the app selection is limited now, any new ones will stand out, and be bought quickly by the app starved masses.

My two cents.

And yes, I love my TP for what I need it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbetz View Post
    With Firefox coming to Android soon, webOS will surely follow.
    Umm, isn't Firefox already on Android? I could have sworn I installed Firefox on my Nook Color a few months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    I honestly believe the firesale will help (at least in the short term) the available applications. Sure the current selection is quite limited compared to other OSs, but that means that there is serious room for growth by developers. While the number of devices will probably reach a limit and begin to dwindle down, there are now hundreds of thousands of new customers out there willing to shell out money for cool applications.

If I was a developer, I would dedicate some serious focus into making some useful applications for WebOS, and to do it quickly. In many cases, they might be the first ones on the market to do a specific task. Since the app selection is limited now, any new ones will stand out, and be bought quickly by the app starved masses.
    Exactly. The lack of apps is a boon for webOS developers. Possible market just increased by 800~900K. Have to be quick, though. Right now, people are forced to stick to HP's App Catalog. Once Android is stable, a lot of folks will probably dual boot to get their app fix.
    Only thing I'm sorry about was my initial impressions when I first looked at the TP which made me go with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 instead. Now after getting the TP and spending several weeks with it, I wish I didn't flipflop to begin with...could have saved me a good bit of money.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I don't regret at $100, but I probably would for $150.

1. No text reflow.
    2. No language support.
    3. Can't play html5 video.
    4. Slower than iPad 1 when loading engadget(flash off)
    5. pReader hung loading my 5m epub.
    6. No Swype.
    7. Very few apps. Only worthwhile free game Bubble bird 2 is buggy.
    8. Font in the browser look bad.
    9. Occational freeze.
    10. Webpages do not refresh.
    Last edited by archanfel; 09/02/2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo, specify free game
    Quote Originally Posted by archanfel View Post

2. No language support.

7. Very few apps. Only worthwhile game Bubble bird 2 is buggy.

@2 please elaborate

@7 sorry it does have a low app count, but I LOL at bubble bird being the only worthwhile game

@10 I am guessing you don't mean what you are saying exactly, I have refreshed web pages.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    @2 please elaborate

@7 sorry it does have a low app count, but I LOL at bubble bird being the only worthwhile game

@10 I am guessing you don't mean what you are saying exactly, I have refreshed web pages.
    @2 iPad has IME for other languages and can be configured to use another language completely, touchpad only support 4 or 5 languages. This thing will never sell in Asia.

@7 What other free games would you recommand, angry bird is boring, what else?

@10 e.g. I couldn't even log into pre central since the page would not refresh and kept on asking my password. Forums would not show new posts unless I explicitly press refresh. Oddly, I don't get the performance boost from caching either.
    Sorry you didn't specify free games, off the top of my head I can't think of any free games I am using for the TP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

1. No text reflow.
    2. No language support.
    3. Can't play html5 video.
    4. Slower than iPad 1 when loading engadget(flash off)
    5. pReader hung loading my 5m epub.
    6. No Skype.
    7. Very few apps. Only worthwhile game Bubble bird 2 is buggy.
    8. Font in the browser look bad.
    9. Occational freeze.
    I just used skype on it last night
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post
    I just used skype on it last night
    hmmm. I can swear I typed swype. There, it got changed again. #11, bad autocorrect. :-)
    after watching the threads take off at the deal sites, the
    next morning I bought the 32gbt one at wallyworld, just knowing it was some hot deal.it sat on my table two days, while I was deciding to return it or not. My buddy said open it and see if you like iπ".I've put 4 hours in every evening, reading precentral and downloading stuff. It's been a blast I was the0re last night when someone realzed the code was for the birds di
    rectory. It was exciting. I use it so much,i,d really be upset if I accidentally stepped on it _--..-before I gett my touchstone. The hours I've put in, doing tweaking stuff I love to do
    Last edited by woosh; 09/03/2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: editing problems
    hmmm. I can swear I typed swype. There, it got changed again. #11, bad autocorrect. :-)
    still keeps you at 10 since you didn't add anything other than user error... then there is the complaining about things you didn't specify, like your complaint about apps, then classifying that to free games..... just saying, you can't keep changing your complaints to allow for your own personal issues, when you didnt take enough time to even concern yourself with making your complaints clear, concise and correct.
    vella_ likes this.
    If you absolutely hate it I will buy it from you.
    Im sorry that i didn't buy more than one on firesale
    vella_ likes this.
    my only complaints are that I bought it for 350 on ebay a few days before the firesale from datavis...I can't find any hp branded accessories either.

other than that I'm LOVING the device. Webos runs great on a tablet...I'm longing for some new phone hardware!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    im happy because i paid $49 from walmart using this pdf from staples.com.if you got your touchpad from walmart they will price match.go get your money and be happy that the touchpad is the best thing you ever purchased!
    here is the pdf-
    https://www.box.net/shared/l4smd3za3indz6n5e8ia
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    still keeps you at 10 since you didn't add anything other than user error... then there is the complaining about things you didn't specify, like your complaint about apps, then classifying that to free games..... just saying, you can't keep changing your complaints to allow for your own personal issues, when you didnt take enough time to even concern yourself with making your complaints clear, concise and correct.
    Are you saying the touchpad does not lack apps? Of course they are personal issues. I don't work for apple or google or hp, so I do not make up fake complaints or praises. I do not claim they are clear, concise or even necessarily correct. It's a new device and I am more than willing to learn my way around. If you know a way to reflow the texts or play html5 videos in the browser or input Chinese or use swype, please do tell. I can guarantee you that there are others who are hitting the same issues and would not even spend the time to complain before abandon the device.
    I don't regret the purchase at all. I bought 2 32GB models, one for me and one for my wife at the $150 price tag. The longer I have this my fondness only grows. The community is great and it does the basic things that I need it to do. I would not have paid the full price for it because of the App selection. This tablet does everything that the other do and with some easy tweaking does it damn well. I do miss the mainstream app selection that Android and IOS has but there are enough cool apps now to keep me occupied and reading these forums on it fills the rest of my time.
    vella_ likes this.
    I'm happy with mine. Its running at 1.7ghz like a champ + custom patches. I think the devs will keep improving it too.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.