Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm pretty happy with it at 89 but I'm finding that for a lot of toasks (evernote) even in the home, I'm drifting back to using my android phone because it's quicker and more functional.
    I used touchpad for 2 days, back to android phone
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Net cost for me was $250 and it's worth every penny since I started using it in early July. Last week my wife told me I was addicted to my touchpad. My Dad bought a netbook a week after me and barely uses it. I can now understand why Steve Jobs shunned netbooks, the screen resolution just doesn't work with windows 7 even though Microsoft supposedly optimised it for netbooks, plus pathetic audio. Whenever we want to stream video he asks for my touchpad the as beats audio can fill our 15 x 17 ft kitchen easily at 75% volume. The netbook is barely audible plus the resolution is poorer even though it's technically the same screen size.
    The browser is always knocked but since I've owned my TP over the last 2 mo, I've used my desktop browser less than 5 times. This device is a Comic reader, Kindle, mp3, video player, network streaming video player (using free playon/orb/tversity), streaming flash video player (enables it to function as a tv when on touchstone in the kitchen)email reader, messaging client and more.
    Anyone who isn't happy with this device at $99/149 doesn't realize the value for money and should sell it to someone who does. No device has this capability at this price point presently.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Sometime down the road i'll probably end up picking up an iPad, however due to the price of the HP Touchpad I could not resist picking one up. Initially I was a bit disapointed by the unit, however after adding preware and overclocking the device I'm much more satisfied with my purchase.
    I purchased mine at full price and was able to get a price match. Loving it. Last night I finally loaded Preware and wow now I am really loving it. I hope to pick up one for my son and two for my brother and his wife. I have been a palm user since the Visor and looking forward to getting the Verizon Palm Pre 2 as soon as my update is available.
    After salivating fora TP from its first concept & signing up for email early notification I had expected to scoop one up. But then discovering it was manufactured with much less than stellar specs or performance, I sat on the fence a bit and played with some other tablets at local electronics stores. Read review after review of the various models. Scrutinized my needs extensively. Watched in amazement and disbelief as HP thrashed the WEB OS community and decided to dump the TP then a few weeks later decided to remanufacture the TP I've decided that's enough of a roller coaster ride.

I love my Pre Classic on Sprint and maybe by the time my contract runs out there will be another iteration from somebody of a WEB OS phone - but honestly, I am really liking what I see in the W7 Arrive.

So yesterday I perused a few pawn shops and located a Netbook! Yeah - many think the netbook is an outmoded technology. But I'm sort of used to being behind the times a bit. I waited a year before moving to the Treo Centro (and a new carrier of course) and then another year passed after the original delivery of the Palm Pre before I put one in my pocket.

So in a way I got to see what everyone else went through and learned from their trials and tribulations. I gleaned great tips from these early adopters, so I feel like they saved me money and time. Thank you everyone!

My pawn shopping trip offered me a nifty EEE PC Netbook 1008 HA with 2 gb RAM ( Twice what the TP offers) running @ 1.66 GHz. Granted its not a dual core processor - but I'm not a gamer and don't stream music or videos from the net. This unit has two 230 GB hard drives - way more than the TP offers. Not to mention the multiple USB ports, an MMC SD SDHC card slot, and peripheral connections available, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth AND a brilliant screen that while the screen is NOT touch capable - the large synaptics touch pad IS multi touch capable (scroll, flick, pinch, rotate) and so far I've been able to mimic MANY of the familiar finger movements used on my Pre!

This may be a used device, but it's in excellent condition, the battery is tremendous - played with it for over 6 hours last night (my Pre's battery needs a recharge after an hour with the phone turned off and just using WI-Fi), setting it up, updating drivers ( the pawn shop had wiped it back to original). Oh yeah - another plus from my perspective is that it is loaded with Windows XP - my preferred environment!

So looks like I'll have plenty of time to sit back and watch what happens with the TP and HP while WEB OS gets sorted out. My Pre will become relegated to a simple phone and this netbook which weighs only a few more ounces than the TP (I WAS drooling for) will get toted and used for my computing needs.

Even at the 99.00 to 150.00 HP is advertising on their site still -this pawn shop purchase was only 160.00 and offers ME a more suitable trully portable convenient device!

At this point I am happy I waited and didn't jump in to the TP Fire sale. The device I got suits my needs more than the TP ever could. Interestingly there was an HP netbook for the same price with similar specs at the same Pwan shop. But with HP advertising they were getting out of the personal computing venue and with the way they treated us WEB OS folks - I doubt I'll ever purchase another HP product!

So long HP. You can't keep jerking people around like this and expect us to have ANY confidence in your products or your supoort! This is one customer that is happy to take my business elsewhwere!

My Original PRE is still in great working order, has all its buttons and doors - so I'll hang on to it at least until February. Then unless some new WEB OS device becomes available on Sprint - it looks like I'll be moving to a completley Windows environement. Still avoiding Android HAHA!

So now I'm off to learn about tehering my PRE to this netbook - for those times I'll be away from WI-FI butneed a more efficient way to compute than on the teeny Pre keyboard.

Apologize for the ramble - its beena while since I posted here - been lurking mostly lately!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I'm not sorry at all for being able to pickup a 16gb fro $99 at a BestBuy the first weekend.

However, I AM sorry for getting all wrapped up in the excitement of the "where is it in stock!!?!?" and "this is such a great deal!!" and ended up purchasing an additional 32GB from Insight.com and well as a couple of touchstones and cases. My $99 impulse buy turned into almost $400 by the time they are all added up. In my opinion, WebOS isn't worth it. For all that money, I would have been better off buying another iPad. I've used dying OS's or Hobby OS's before, hoping for an application that doesn't exist or functionality that will never be added. For $99 the 16gb will make a decent digital photo frame or weather forecast station someplace in the house. Maybe the occasional web browsing. But as many have said, there just aren't enough applications available.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    After salivating fora TP from its first concept & signing up for email early notification I had expected to scoop one up. But then discovering it was manufactured with much less than stellar specs or performance, I sat on the fence a bit and played with some other tablets at local electronics stores. Read review after review of the various models. Scrutinized my needs extensively. Watched in amazement and disbelief as HP thrashed the WEB OS community and decided to dump the TP then a few weeks later decided to remanufacture the TP I've decided that's enough of a roller coaster ride.

.................................... (edited for rambling )

Apologize for the ramble - its beena while since I posted here - been lurking mostly lately!

Cheers,
    Kim
    So why did you post again? this thread was for those who bought the Touch pad not to post negative about it when they do not even have one..........

I really suspect who you are now? Really a pre owner? webOS ?
    Hmm maybe
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    I'm sorry that HP decided to get out of the business. It has great potential. I hope they continue improving WebOS.

Yes, there are flaws to WebOS and also the Touchpad. I also see flaws in Android and Windows Mobile (and their hardware). I haven't used Apple enough. Everything has its pluses and minuses, and you just have to decide if it's worth it.

I had plans for the TP when I bought them and it's exceeded my expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Net cost for me was $250 and it's worth every penny since I started using it in early July. Last week my wife told me I was addicted to my touchpad. My Dad bought a netbook a week after me and barely uses it. I can now understand why Steve Jobs shunned netbooks, the screen resolution just doesn't work with windows 7 even though Microsoft supposedly optimised it for netbooks, plus pathetic audio.
    I haven't powered up my netbook once since I got the TP, I think I have been on my office PC once or twice since mid July when I got the TP.

One of the main selling points of the TP for me was I couldn't stand using the netbook. Very happy with my purchase (as I said earlier) and I am not near using the TP to its full potential. I really need to get Kalemsoft Media Player setup this weekend so I can stream from my HTPC.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Love my touchpad, there's only one couple thing I wish was different on it, namely audio built into the touchstone. Besides that, it's a great replacement for my netbook.

15 minutes or less of Internet, mobile music: Sprint Pre-
    15 minutes to 2 hours of reading/video/docked music: Touchpad
    Anything longer, iMac.
    Flat out, anyone who comes in this thread and even remotely states that they are sorry either; one, is bitter that they were not able to purchase a touchpad during the firesale and has resorted to hate in an effort to justify their depression or, two, simply lacks the basic understanding of technology, the economy, and quite possibly has a horrible basic understanding of life in general (A.K.A. they're stupid).
    Paid $269 even though by hesitating I lost out on a sure $149 deal.
    It's completely worth the price I paid for it because of what my needs are: tasks, office documents, scheduling, watching video.

As the caregiver of two aging parents each with numerous medical appointments and even more medications the TP makes my life infinitely easier to keep track of.

Perhaps if the TP had been priced a bit more reasonably and aimed at the average consumer who has no need for all the eye candy of the Ipad and other tablets it'd have succeeded.
    Heck, I can see where it would've been darn near indispensible for the older crowd that can't navigate a Windows PC. The ease of selecting what one wants to do with the flick of a finger is *exactly* what the older folks need given their limitations learning new technology. As such, the TP may missed out on a significant consumer segment.

Me? If possible, I'll get a 2nd TP and make it available to my parents. They'll both love it and use it. It's far less daunting than a pc.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'm only sorry I didn't pick up a bunch of them.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I recently just bought a 32gb Touchpad on Ebay for $265 shipped(still waiting to get it). Even at a $100 premium over the firesale prices I still think it is going to be a decent investment and at very worst a slightly expensive toy.
    Hi everybody,
    new guy here. Love the site.

In answer to the question...NO!
    I am not sorry.
    My wife was going to give me a Color Nook for my birthday at $250. That same day my daughter told me she needed to buy an electric guitar for school...so there went my nook. Couple of days later learned about the HP fire sale and since we have an acquaintance that works at BB, SEVERAL days later she was able to get me a 32gb one!

At $600 I would have been dissapointed, at $150 I LOVE it!! I have an iPad also,which my wife uses most of the time and I used it mainly to read. I use Stanza on the iPad and there is nothing similar for the TP. But again at $150, pReader works great (thanks to the guy who developed it by the way).

As to the lack of apps, the way I see it these tablets are for 4 basic things: web browsing, email, reading and playing music.
    Browsing and email work perfectly well, beautiful interfaces too.
    Reading works.
    Music works. Synchronizing was a PITA but now that it's done I sat in my couch last night late at night browsing the internet...not a problem.
    I don't need 100K apps...I certainly don't need the 8 pages of silly apps my kids downloaded on the iPad and don't EVER use.

Maybe it's because I have been using computers for a very long time now, my first computer was an XT with 1 mb of RAM and I used it to learn Autocad in it, for real, without a mouse, that I just can't believe I get this beautiful thing for $150!!

And by the way, I like it better that the iPad, glitches and all

Gonzalo
    Titan078 likes this.
    I am not sorry I bought it because $99 is just an amazing price for all it can do. It's pretty much a "disposable buy" at that price point. If it were to break down 2 months from now it would still be almost worth it.

I have though been running up against its limitations however, occasional freezes, and lack of apps, and have been finding myself wishing I had a better tablet... $500 is way too much for an iPad though.

Here's hoping those devs get Android running soon. I really want Netflix and Comixology.
    I'm just disapointed I couldn't find one. I live in a fairly large metropolitan area and found out about the firesale almost as soon as it was announced (I almost never close precentral. Dedicated browser tab). I spent enough gas to buy two driving all over the place in search of one. Absolutely every single one was sold out. By the time I tried HP web site, the were no longer selling any either. :-( Really hoping I get a chance to get on when they restock.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    So why did you post again? this thread was for those who bought the Touch pad not to post negative about it when they do not even have one..........

I really suspect who you are now? Really a pre owner? webOS ?
    Hmm maybe
    Be suspicious all you want, I've been a member here two years longer than you; have many posts regarding my WEB OS Palm Pre and the old Centro. I have often spoken well of WEB OS and will continue to. The current debacle with the TP is entirely HPs doing- NOT WEB OS. But the TP originally had a market tag line of "Works like no other" yeah- ain't that the truth! AS a business device it fails - up until a few days a go you could only edit memos and emails. And the only reason you can edit actual business documents now is due to the hard work from a private developer - NOT HP!

Identifying the fact that the TP is in reality simply a whizz bang cool TOY and NOT a mobile business computing solution isn't being negative - just pragmatic. The TP doesn't even make a decent media display device because you cannot insert any media cards! So it fails as a way to display or edit photos in a mobile atmosphere. THere is more to mobile computing than playing Angry Birds!

SO in your eyes the folks that bought MULTIPLE Fire sale TPs with NO intentions of even using the devices have more credibility than a person that has realized the very real shortcomings of the TP.

O.K. - but talk to me later when these masses of fire sale purchasers realize they simply chucked their money out the window. I don't know about you - but in my wallet - a undred bucks is NOT considered disposable! I worked hard for that money and expect a decent return for my investmemnt. I was wishing beyond hope that the TP would stand up to its original concepts. But have been severely disappointed.

AS I visit many threads it seems I am not the only one and it still looks like were it not for the Homebrew developers - this device would in no way come close to what HP said it could be.

When you consider that many people getting a tablet also get a keyboard and a stand or a touchstone - then they essentially have a net book. But a net book that is severely restricted in peripherals, has a phone sized hard drive and can't even read media cards.

Purchasing something just because its a great deal isn't always a good investment - The Ponzi scheme investors found that out! Let's see where you are as well as others with their Fire sale TPs in 6 months from now. Wonderwill the flame have been extinguished? Lets see if HP came through with their RE-production run, or updates to the current TP or even a hint at a second generation of the TP!

For now - this ASUS EEE PC Netbook is actually panning out to be a good business device as well as a decent web tool and I don't feel like I got burned by jumping into a Fire sale!

I'll continue to monitor the WEB OS community - as I am still happy with my fully functioning Palm Pre classic. But I realize its shortcomings too.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    Yeah browser is pretty bad. When you open a new link in another card, it won't load until that webpage becomes your active card. This pretty much kills the way I browse: opening various links on separate tabs. From my understanding, Android and iOS are able to load webpages in the background; I don't see why webOS cannot.
    you can buy the advanced browser with tabs for $3.oo.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Well I had plans to purchase a iPad. Was searching around for a good price and had my finger on the trigger to get one. But was sitting on the fence about the whole thing. I mean my laptop did basically everything a iPad can do. But I though a iPad or a tablet PC was never meant replace a computer. It was created to provide convenience . But price was always a issue. So I stumbled upon the fire sale and went for it. I am glad I did. My laptop, desktop are collecting dust. I am not selling this baby.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4