Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Not sorry at all. Already have a 32gb Ipad that I paid over twice as much for and it doesn't even play flash, so I rarely used it for web browsing. Now for 99.00 I have a portable browser and ebook reader that the world won't end because of its limitations. And honestly the "Audiophile HD" music player app along with a good pair of headphones or connected to a good sound system, along with the built in "Beats" audio enhancement, and the sound is nothing short of fantastic. I own the actual Beats headphones as well, and the TP sounds very close with just a good set of regular headphones. So no regrets at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I just read that long thread asking owners of the TP and WEbOS what they thought of them, and the general consensus is both need work. While everyone who jumped in when the prices hit bottom and paid either $99.00 or $150.00 are you sorry you did. any of you decided to sell it? because a hundred bucks IS a hundred bucks and if the TP is gonna wind up in a drawer...Mine arrived on Tuesday but I didnt even open it because Irene knocked out our power until this morning. Having read that thread it makes me leery about proceeding with it, charging it, etc etc. a guy offered me $295 for it locally with the case and extra charger i bought. i'm not sure what to do. i got excited the other day when i read that reuters story that indicated HP might produce another round of TPS and stay with it. but who knows. anyway, i'd like to hear some comments.
    It took me 7 days of scouring the web, calling in sick to work once, constant monitoring of Slick Deals, thousands of mg's of caffeine, and 10 hours outside Best Buy (Staying up a total of 34 hours straight in the end) but in the end I got a 32 gb for $149.

Was it worth it? FUARK yes!!! This thing is dear to my heart, and not just because of the work I put in to get it. After Preware patches this thing runs smooth as butter, much better than I even expected. I haven't noticed a "lack of apps" as this is my first ever tablet or smartphone (or even laptop for that matter). I have all the apps I could ever need already anyways.
    HP TouchPad - Touch based great entertainment slate! almost everything I ask of it, it does (aside from some minor things like extracting zip files, fully zooming PDF, no bundled BT keyboard... that's about it for the s-list)

HP Elitebook 2730p - Pen based convertible Tablet PC with OC'd hardware, 8GB of DR2, a external GPU, ect... which does literally anything and everything aside from being light weight or super portable (its circa 2008, if you don't know what a 'Tablet PC' is as opposed to a 'entertainment slate' then please google it up and get yourself a used one from ebay for $100-400, paired with MS OneNote it is the best pen and paper replacement since pen and paper!)

Between my two devices (plus the larger and older Toshiba M4 Tablet PC, and a ipod classic) there is no gap in my tech arsenal! I am at a point of tech bliss right now with full computers w/ pen support as well as the smaller and lighter Touchpad that does most of the light stuff!

Regrets? Reck NO! for $150 ($160 OTD) I am very pleased (spent more than than that on the 8GB of DDR2 [$174 OTD], can that DDR2 browse the web, play music out of good speakers, and have a great UI, lol no it can't!)

EDIT: forgot to mention that the Touchpad's email system and the blinking LED email notification is the greatest thing ever invented, I have caught so many spammers within 1-2 minutes of their posting! complete madness, they don't even have time to post a second time, and its all thanks to the little blinking light on the device sitting next to me!
    Last edited by Agent 9; 09/01/2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    Yes. I'm a heavy iPhone user, and I expected an experience as mature as the iPad experience. I know it's a lot to expect that there would be a lot of apps for the TouchPad - it's just too early in the product cycle, and I understand the OS was being rewritten, cutting off a lot of chances to court early development.

But there are so many little rough edges that I'm forced to conclude that webOS simply wasn't ready when it came time to ship, and instead they focused on tying off unfinished sections so that they wouldn't become liabilities.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I was browsing away yesterday as some live video was streaming in one browser instance and I was surfing away in the other while listening to the audio and I reflected on how I could have spent $150 less wisely.

I am STILL tempted by an iPad 2 for the apps (I have an iPod Touch so I have some universal stuff) but I really can't justify it for a while now ...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Sorry? Nope, found enough decent apps to justify the cost.

I can read a ton of classic gaming magazines using ComicRack HD, and they're pretty close to the original size. Tap Tap Rockets HD is really good, and plays a lot better on a 4:3 aspect ratio screen. USA Today is amazing. And, I'm just starting to browse through the Apps.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Sorry no way
    Sorry I have to read the many trolls on this site though

The touchpad is worth more than 100 - 150 but not the 499 and 599

Honestly when Ipad came out I thought it was way over priced

the many fools who pay the high prices for the IPAD is why so many say "You can't make a good tablet for less than 400" well I guess they are proved wrong.

The cost to make this is around 300 and could be lower with negotiation.

People will only pay so much
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Honestly when Ipad came out I thought it was way over priced

the many fools who pay the high prices for the IPAD is why so many say "You can't make a good tablet for less than 400" well I guess they are proved wrong.

The cost to make this is around 300 and could be lower with negotiation.

People will only pay so much
    Those "fools" you're talking about are correct, at least during that time. The iPad probably helped decrease production costs for other tablet manufacturers. It just so happens Apple can negotiate better prices for supplies because they're ordering a lot more than their competitors. Besides, you can't just look at the cost of raw material. There's R&D, marketing and other overhead.

That said, if the browser gets fixed and webOS gets Netflix, I'd probably sell my iPad 2.
    I paid $600, Then i was offered a rebate or $450 which i naturally accepted. If i had have paid $600 I would still have been very happy with it.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Honestly, I'd sell it. Put that $200 profit towards an iPad or a higher-end Android. I bought it for web browsing and the Kindle, but the font rendering is so bad as to make it basically useless for long form reading. While I'm typing this, for instance, about every third word has letters that are blurred or choppy-looking. Add to that the frequently mentioned limitations of the browser, and yeah, I'd say take the money.
    Last edited by opxdo; 09/02/2011 at 02:03 AM.
    I am really sorry that I just bought one.
  12. ilm
    At $99, I'd be happy with it even if it were just a miniature hipster coffee tray. Instead, it also lets me couch-browse, watch movies, display pictures, and play games (though admittedly few). And I can still use it as a coffee tray if I need one.
    ananniia likes this.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm pretty happy with it at 89 but I'm finding that for a lot of tasks (evernote) even in the home, I'm drifting back to using my android phone because it's quicker and more functional.
    I'm really interested at Splashtop and how good it's going to be....according to others that have used it on other platforms. I've actually never heard of it, (and having only one PC and not being an office worker), never had the need for an RDP. If it's as good as they say it is, and the TouchPad can handle, I guess for lack of better word, this could go a long way in changing everything.

For a "novelty/fad/luxury" item....I'm going on 47 days with mine now, and really haven't stopped using it. That's gotta say something
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
    it may have problems, but show me one browser in android that plays grooveshark, or streaming NFL games right in browser.

Flash may be buggy, but more sites work in this browser than most I have tried on Android.
    What good is that when it can't even do the most simple tasks such as re-ordering bookmarks or bringing up a website with new information, rather than having to constantly hit "refresh".
    Even though I only paid 99 or so for mine, I know it's worth two to three times that if i were to sell it. So it's really more than 99 or so sitting here on the table.

If i could only sell for 99 or what i paid for it, it's a nobrainer, i keep it. But i have to admit it was nice viewing amazon last night looking to see what i could get for someone's bday. I could play the flash demos of certain products i was looking at. As much as people complain about the browser, i like having flash. I see the browser as the high point, not low.

I'm still mixed on the sell or keep part. I'm thinking of moving it in kitchen on touchstone. If it would only stream tv.... I'd love a slingbox app. I may just break down and sell and get a used ipad 1 & stand for what i can sell this for.
    I paid $150 for the 32GB and think that is borderline value at that. WebOS is too buggy, slow, and lacking in functionality. An iPad at 3 or 4 times that price arguably better value.
    The only thing I may be unhappy about this cheap purchase is that now I can't buy a really good tablet like an ipad2 - lighter, more responsive, more software, better company backing it up, etc. See the wife thinks one tablet is enough, so no ipad2 for me. not trolling, just cheap!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    i'm sorry i only got 4
    Quote Originally Posted by opxdo View Post
    Honestly, I'd sell it. Put that $200 profit towards an iPad or a higher-end Android. I bought it for web browsing and the Kindle, but the font rendering is so bad as to make it basically useless for long form reading. While I'm typing this, for instance, about every third word has letters that are blurred or choppy-looking. Add to that the frequently mentioned limitations of the browser, and yeah, I'd say take the money.
    I get that too. It's annoying and one reason I use android. It's like palm release the OS and stopped working on it. What was really improved from version 1 to 3? WebOS still feels like beta version