1.    #1  
    Hello everyone. I'm a new TouchPad owner here, and a new member of precentral as well Having the TouchPad so far has been a great exerience, but I was a little ticked off that I could not read anything in Vietnamese when I come across websites such as yahoo.vn or vnexpress.net. Even youtube search in Vietnamese do not appear correctly, all I see is square box So I begin to dig around the net and found that HP decide to get rid of Unicode in all their fonts! Luckily I found this Vietnamese website who was very informative on finding how to add Unicode fonts to the TouchPad but was missing key fonts here and there, and applications wasn't working correctly without "stock" fonts. So without further adieu, here are the instructions to adding unicode fonts to your TouchPad! I believe these will only work for non-character asian sites, beside chinese.

1. Make sure your TouchPad has enough battery life, greater than 50%. Plug your TP into your computer or laptop, and set to USB mode.

2. Download this Unicode Fonts, and extract it as is to your TP drive on the computer. Note: Again extract as is directly to the HP TouchPad drive in your computer, not any other folder.

3. Disconnect USB mode by safely remove hardware, but leave the wire still connected. Turn on Developer Mode on your TP, and open WeOSQuickInstall.jar. You should know how to do this already, if not read up on it before proceeding!

4. Click on Tools, then Linux Commandline. Copy this command without quotes "mount -o remount,rw /" and paste to the window that appeared after you click on Linux Commandline, then hit enter on your laptop or pc. Do not do CTRL+V for paste as it will not work, you have to physically right click and select paste!

5. Copy this command without quotes "cp media/internal/HPbackupunicodefonts/*.* usr/share/fonts", and hit enter on your laptop or pc. Again, do not do CTRL+V, as I know a lot of people would love to do just that. Wait a few seconds until it finish and you see two lines displaying "root@........" Then you're done.

6. Remove the usb cord from your TP, clear cache out from your browser on your TouchPad (you should know how to do this already too, if not search here or google ) Reboot your TP completely, not luna restart, but complete restart it.

7. Enjoy

Mod please make this a sticky as I think it's necessary because this took me quite a few days of trial and error to find out what fonts were needed, and to have all games/apps to work! If anyone can, please spread this news out to your fellow friends and websites but please do not take sole credit for it.

Thanks all!

Xterminater
    Worked perfectly, thanks
    Is it possible for you to make one for cambodian (khmer) language?
    I forgot to mention theres unicode installer here Khmer Software Initiative | ... makes Khmer Unicode run for the khmer language. The website im trying to get working is at ខ្មែរ. One thing that doesnt work is the podcast at the ខ្មែរ website, it says mime type not supported. Do you think this has anything to do with the fonts? Which i doubt.
    Are you guys experiencing anything weird after installing the fonts? some people from the other thread are reporting that there touchpad is freezing or messing up after installing fonts into the touchpad. Maybe your method is done differently and does not allow such problems?
  6.    #6  
    mine is completely dif.... nothing is messed up once you follow this method
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I haven't tried it yet, just one question: do you have any Vietnamese IME for the TouchPad? I only have found web-based ones.
    So can you please help me on getting the khmer unicode working on the touchpad?
  9.    #9  
    nang, that you have to find somewhere because I have no source in helping you, sorry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterminater View Post
    nang, that you have to find somewhere because I have no source in helping you, sorry!
    Did you read my above post? I posted a website where you can find some useful information on khmer unicode or fonts?
    Hi Xterminator:
    I followed the instructions and copied the file to TP and I can see the file in the TP directory when in USB mode on my computer. The problem is after followinging your instructions, I get the error message that the file is not located in the directory when entering the command in Linux.

Please help.
    If anyone can read VNese, you can go here TH

Otherwise, 4 Prelude fonts, Arial, Times, Cour, Verdana is replaced, Georgia is deleted, make sure you use the right Prelude if you don't want TouchPad to crash
    Could you please assist on how to move vietnamese books to the Touchpad (mobi and epub).

Thanks,
    facebook doe not display viernamese character correctly after the 3.0.4 update. any idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinwind View Post
    facebook doe not display viernamese character correctly after the 3.0.4 update. any idea?
    Re add the fonts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterminater View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm a new TouchPad owner here, and a new member of precentral as well Having the TouchPad so far has been a great exerience, but I was a little ticked off that I could not read anything in Vietnamese when I come across websites such as yahoo.vn or vnexpress.net. Even youtube search in Vietnamese do not appear correctly, all I see is square box So I begin to dig around the net and found that HP decide to get rid of Unicode in all their fonts! Luckily I found this Vietnamese website who was very informative on finding how to add Unicode fonts to the TouchPad but was missing key fonts here and there, and applications wasn't working correctly without "stock" fonts. So without further adieu, here are the instructions to adding unicode fonts to your TouchPad! I believe these will only work for non-character asian sites, beside chinese.

1. Make sure your TouchPad has enough battery life, greater than 50%. Plug your TP into your computer or laptop, and set to USB mode.

2. Download this Unicode Fonts, and extract it as is to your TP drive on the computer. Note: Again extract as is directly to the HP TouchPad drive in your computer, not any other folder.

3. Disconnect USB mode by safely remove hardware, but leave the wire still connected. Turn on Developer Mode on your TP, and open WeOSQuickInstall.jar. You should know how to do this already, if not read up on it before proceeding!

4. Click on Tools, then Linux Commandline. Copy this command without quotes "mount -o remount,rw /" and paste to the window that appeared after you click on Linux Commandline, then hit enter on your laptop or pc. Do not do CTRL+V for paste as it will not work, you have to physically right click and select paste!

5. Copy this command without quotes "cp media/internal/HPbackupunicodefonts/*.* usr/share/fonts", and hit enter on your laptop or pc. Again, do not do CTRL+V, as I know a lot of people would love to do just that. Wait a few seconds until it finish and you see two lines displaying "root@........" Then you're done.

6. Remove the usb cord from your TP, clear cache out from your browser on your TouchPad (you should know how to do this already too, if not search here or google ) Reboot your TP completely, not luna restart, but complete restart it.

7. Enjoy

Mod please make this a sticky as I think it's necessary because this took me quite a few days of trial and error to find out what fonts were needed, and to have all games/apps to work! If anyone can, please spread this news out to your fellow friends and websites but please do not take sole credit for it.

Thanks all!

Xterminater
    Thanks for the steps to install Unicode fonts. It works well before 3.0.4 update.
    After the update one of the big key from the keyboard "A B C" changed to "A[]B[]C[]". When you pressed this key to change the character from "A B C" to "+ - =" there is space inserted with "[]" in between. Please kindly help me how to fix it. It's just the display of the keyboard changed from

"A B C" to "A[]B[]C[]"

or

"+[]-[]=[]"

I did re-add the fonts again and I even tried to run the WebOS Doctor to reset it, but the result is the same. Display some strange character for that key. Everything else works fine!
    Any help to fix it would be highly appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by willyhuynh1; 10/20/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cammie26 View Post
    Hi Xterminator:
    I followed the instructions and copied the file to TP and I can see the file in the TP directory when in USB mode on my computer. The problem is after followinging your instructions, I get the error message that the file is not located in the directory when entering the command in Linux.

Please help.
    Please make sure there is no sub-folder in that Fonts folder. The fonts folder should contains all the fonts file and there is no other folder inside. This problem caused by WinRAR when you Unrar, it will created a sub folder inside with the same folder name.
    What you should do is copied all the font files outside of the sub folder and delete the empty sub folder. Run the command again, then it will work.
    Good luck!
    does it work still having problem with webOS 3.0.4?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::