Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By provost
  • 1 Post By sm007h
  1.    #1  
    There are preware patches and the like for this, but I thought I would post this little hack here.

1. Go to Settings, Device Info
    2. Touch Device Info in the upper left corner and touch Custom Application...
    3. type ##5647#
    4. A pop up will appear (change logging levels)
    5. Touch "Set Logging to Minimum"
    6. Confirm

Enjoy!
    laoh likes this.
    I found this the other day also and was wondering how this is different than the 3-4 patches I installed for minimizing logging....
    this is ONE of the needed things to do to reduce logging. it's the same as typing ##logs# this isn't new and has been covered in the "new touchpad?" thread.

next_: there are several different logging processes that takes place which requires several different methods of disabling or reducing all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I found this the other day also and was wondering how this is different than the 3-4 patches I installed for minimizing logging....
    i had the same question after finding this a while ago, and the only thing i could think of was, that if you go through the Diagnostics menu you get the warning theres no going back after doing this(not that you would want too considering the improvement, but then thought what if you had problems down the road and HP needed certain logs) so i figured w/ the patches you could always uninstall thus re-enabling the logs for troubleshooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    i had the same question after finding this a while ago, and the only thing i could think of was, that if you go through the Diagnostics menu you get the warning theres no going back after doing this(not that you would want too considering the improvement, but then thought what if you had problems down the road and HP needed certain logs) so i figured w/ the patches you could always uninstall thus re-enabling the logs for troubleshooting.
    I know. I saw the warning too but went ahead anyways. I thougth it was really strange and stupid for not being able to undo the process later.
    Despite the 'this can not be undone' label.. it seems that when you log into 'HP App Catalog' and download an App, (in this case 'Voice Recorder'), logging levels require to be reset to minimum again? This may have been mentioned before somewhere, but since I had been noticing that I was having to reset logging levels to minimum for no 'apparent' reason, I may have only just discovered why.

Anyone else been wondering why/how 'Minimum Logging' is not remaining at 'minimum'?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Despite the 'this can not be undone' label.. it seems that when you log into 'HP App Catalog' and download an App, (in this case 'Voice Recorder'), logging levels require to be reset to minimum again? This may have been mentioned before somewhere, but since I had been noticing that I was having to reset logging levels to minimum for no 'apparent' reason, I may have only just discovered why.

Anyone else been wondering why/how 'Minimum Logging' is not remaining at 'minimum'?

I just took a gander at my logging levels and indeed they reset themselves again. This might explain a lot of issues I've been having.
    Last edited by Infinite Jest; 09/26/2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Cool!

Perhaps 'Big Daddy' HP likes to 'keep in touch' this way?

So effectively 'This can't be undone'.. EXCEPT by HP!

Does this do the same thing as the Muffle System Logging patch?
    I played around with this for a bit and maybe this information will be useful to the thread:

the warning about not being able to undo anything seems to mean like there is no "back" button, not that it permanently disables the logging.

if you click on the left choice at the top (set log levels) you'll find where you can set each app's individual logging level. You can even switch every single log to "none" (which you can't do with the log profile choice of minimal which only sets each app to "error" logs).

when you download an app it's set to default logging, hence the "need" to "reset" logging to minimal. in actuality, though, you're only setting the newest app to error. you could likewise set it individually (via "set log levels") instead of selecting "minimal logging" in "use log profile".
    Infinite Jest likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    Does this do the same thing as the Muffle System Logging patch?
    apologies for the double post, but I wanted to empirically test this before responding.

this does not appear to do the same thing as the muffle system logging. In fact, I'm no longer certain muffle does anything at all. If you check the individually log settings (via the way I outlined in my above post) you'll find that muffle doesn't alter any of the settings for the apps or system settings. Perhaps it does something under the hood that is not reflected in the UI, but as far as the listed options are concerned I did not see (or rather, I saw that it did not) a single change.