webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Text from Touchpad using Android phone - WORKING
Text from Touchpad using Android phone - WORKING
Like Tree12Likes

Old 09/01/2011, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thanks to user Th3H0ff, I have figured out how to send and receive texts using my touchpad with my Android phone. This should work on any Android phone.

First you will need to head over to the Android market on your phone. Download a free app titled "DeskSMS"

Once you have that installed, go into the app on your phone and enter your gmail info. This will now push your sms messages to your gtalk account.

Now go into the sms app on your touchpad. Go under the menu into preferences and accounts. Add your gtalk info.

Now go back to your desksms app on your phone and try the "test sms" to send yourself a text message.

You should now get a notification on your touchpad with the message that was sent. YOU MUST ACCEPT THE INVITE ON YOUR TOUCHPAD FIRST.

Caveats - (cut and pasted from Th3H0ff's thread)
1. You have to accept the very first message from a contact on your TP. Only once not for every conversation, but just for the very first time you receive a text using the app from that contact, after that works as advertised.
2. Only the PH# is displayed on the contacts pane in the left column along with "@desksms" appended to it. The actual message will have the name displayed like a normal text message.
3. As of right now you can only respond to a message number that is being displayed, so if you erase a convo you can not initiate another text without it being in the convo list.

Thats it! Mine is working great, after you accept someone in your sms app, you can send and receive texts like normal, and they show from your carrier's number, NOT your google voice number like some other workarounds.

Big thanks to Th3H0ff for figuring this out originally.
9KRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jb3mta3 and funb0b like this.
Old 09/01/2011, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing this. Will I still get the texts on my phone if I do this?
uh60james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep. Not only that, even the texts you send from your TP go to your phone. The syncing is seamless.
Old 09/01/2011, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, Koush is the man!
dirtyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now if I could only get this working on my Pre Minus...

cheers,
S.
Old 09/01/2011, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Confirmed on my gf's TouchPad. Cool, thanks for that!
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
Now if I could only get this working on my Pre Minus...

cheers,
S.
+1
Old 09/01/2011, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

how ironic that Android phones get to have this feature first than webOS phones!
Old 09/01/2011, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

So with this method you need to be connected to the internet?
mitsueks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
how ironic that Android phones get to have this feature first than webOS phones!
You made me do this, and for that, I apologize in advance.

Liked by brum, retroblu, Xebec01 and 4 others like this.
Old 09/01/2011, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
yes definitely
finecismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
yes
Old 09/01/2011, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

There is a program called TalkMyPhone for Android that does the same thing, without a desktop app. It routs sms and battery notifications through a GTalk account. I'm use the Touchpad messaging app (my gtalk account in the app) to receive and send out messages through my android phone as well.

TalkMyPhone however gives you the option of sending an sms to any number in your contact book (though it has to be the number, not the name). This way, as long as the program is running on your android phone, you could initiate messages from your Touchpad using gtalk through the messaging app.

Last edited by drjrdemelo; 09/01/2011 at 03:21 PM.
drjrdemelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Bockscar
Old 09/01/2011, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrdemelo View Post
There is a program called TalkMyPhone for Android that does the same thing, without a desktop app. It routs sms and battery notifications through a GTalk account. I'm use the Touchpad messaging app (my gtalk account in the app) to receive and send out messages through my android phone as well
You don't need a desktop app to use DeskSMS. Though I will try this because DeskSMS only gives you two weeks of free access LOL. I am a cheap *******.
Old 09/01/2011, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

the other bonus to this is now the messaging app is one step closer on android to webos, having one place for texts(technically) and gtalk now.
graffix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecismad View Post
yes definitely
Ok just checking. I had connected my EVO3D using the freeTether and bluetooth method and I have been texting all day with out being connected to the internet here are work. Just trying to see which option was going to work best for me.
mitsueks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrdemelo View Post
There is a program called TalkMyPhone for Android that does the same thing, without a desktop app. It routs sms and battery notifications through a GTalk account. I'm use the Touchpad messaging app (my gtalk account in the app) to receive and send out messages through my android phone as well.

TalkMyPhone however gives you the option of sending an sms to any number in your contact book (though it has to be the number, not the name). This way, as long as the program is running on your android phone, you could initiate messages from your Touchpad using gtalk through the messaging app.
I can't seem to get this working :O

Last edited by finecismad; 09/01/2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09/01/2011, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecismad View Post
I can't seem to get this working :O
I've tried other workarounds and apps... the way I posted to set it up is the best way I've found so far.
Old 09/01/2011, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
I've tried other workarounds and apps... the way I posted to set it up is the best way I've found so far.
Yeah no I've seen the original post from thehoff, I was talking about the talkmyphone app.
Old 09/01/2011, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

So was I. Didn't work for me either. Google voice text works, but it shows as coming from your GV number and has a 5 minute refresh. Tethering kinda works, but it shows a yellow ! next to your texts and shows as not sent, even though it does actually send. It looks messy.

DeskSMS is the only thing I've found to work almost flawlessly. If you could send messages without having the contact already on your touchpad, it would be perfect.
Liked by jgipson1 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0