Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    I would think it would sync with time servers over the internet- Are you all disconnecting from long periods of time?
    Is this what you guys are experiencing? If so, either your wireless internet connection is being turned off when the device is not in use (charging, or screen off), or a setting for syncing with an internet time server is turned off.

check these:

settings -> date & time app -> network time -> ON (if off, leave it switched on)
    (obviously make sure your timezone is correct too)

settings ->wi-fi app -> tap menu bar in top left where it says wifi -> settings (for the app)
    -> when phone sleeps -> keep wifi on (if off, turn on)

iIf those two settings are on, and you still have issues, it will be something else that is the cause.
    Wow, ignored twice now in this thread. It isn't that hard to go and check for yourselves real quick. If it is what I am hitting on here, this would fix the issue.
    Wow, ignored twice now in this thread. It isn't that hard to go and check for yourselves real quick. If it is what I am hitting on here, this would fix the issue.
    Ignored? Sorry but you don't have the answers for everything. We appreciate your help but this in fact does NOT fix the problem. If it did, we would have gladly said thanks and repped you. You must have missed my post because I mentioned:

1. Turning off network time (Syncing to the server for time) does not help. When I turn it off, it still drifts.
    2. WiFi is set to always on, I've always had it that way.
    3. I installed CM7 on dual-boot and it ALSO occurs within Android CM7 and not just WebOS.
    4. I've checked my router and it is set to the correct time and there is no hint that it is intermittently shutting off in the middle of the day (Or during the day, for that matter).
    5. It is hard to tell when it is happening. In fact, I've had it in CM7 for awhile and it hasn't drifted in a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by otter7 View Post
    I have two 32 GB, identical installs and WebOS versions. One does this and one does not. I use the same Touchstone for both. No fancy stuff or mods and only one application I have installed myself. Could this be a hardware issue like a bad battery? How does the Touchpad keep time when the main battery is discharged? Does it have something like a CMOS battery? How would you change that if it does?

(I'm not cracking mine open while its under warranty, buy I sure would like to know what this could mean over the long run for keeping these things working.)

I might add that mine have always been in range of a WIFI since I opened them. I don't think this has anything to do with being out of range .
    This is what I was saying. My girlfriend and I got ours at the same time, I even got one for my mother. Mine is the only one that does this. And my girlfriend and I have the same tweaks (I installed it for her) and we are on the same network. I thought the overclock was somehow bugging it out but many disagreed that it shouldn't affect it at all. You never know, bugs are weird!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoICon View Post
    Could it be some sort of lag for when the TouchPad goes into exhibition mode?
    Could be. I leave my TouchPad on the Touchstone dock since I use it to watch movies and shows, so it enters exhibition mode a lot (whenever I stop).
    Mine is always connected to WiFi, and Network Time is on (by default).
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Maybe an exhibition app issue?
    LinuxKoss just because I didn't quote you doesn't mean I ignored you. I did answer that I am using NTP. I only disconnect when I am away from home, although it happens connected or disconnected.

C.Bledsoejr I have not had opportunity to leave mine in Android -- doing so would just leave me with a black screen, considering that the black screen of death is still a problem, although it's less of a problem than it used to be. I did notice that after I booted last to webOS from Android, I was off by 20 minutes. I didn't notice what it was while I was in Android.

It's not solely exhibition mode. It does seem to happen much more when the unit is idling than when it is in active use, and almost always happens shortly after taken off the touchstone after being on for a longer period.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Mine are also pretty much on their TouchStones all of the time. I notice the problem more so seemingly when I have a screensaver app running. Not saying it is the app.
    I have been using my TouchPad now for 5 hrs continuously off the charger, and it hasn't jumped once. Have not let it lock at all. If we can nail this down, maybe we can get it fixed.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    (chiming in as another datapoint)

1. I had this problem as soon as I initialized it.

2. I had to turn NTP *off* to make the problem go away.

3. I do not have a touchstone.

4. I have seen the wrong time displayed on the lock screen, and then have the time immediately correct itself when I unlocked the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Bledsoejr View Post
    Ignored? Sorry but you don't have the answers for everything. We appreciate your help but this in fact does NOT fix the problem. If it did, we would have gladly said thanks and repped you. You must have missed my post because I mentioned:

1. Turning off network time (Syncing to the server for time) does not help. When I turn it off, it still drifts.
    2. WiFi is set to always on, I've always had it that way.
    3. I installed CM7 on dual-boot and it ALSO occurs within Android CM7 and not just WebOS.
    4. I've checked my router and it is set to the correct time and there is no hint that it is intermittently shutting off in the middle of the day (Or during the day, for that matter).
    5. It is hard to tell when it is happening. In fact, I've had it in CM7 for awhile and it hasn't drifted in a few days.
    1. Never said I had the answers for everything.
    2. I was asking all of you to check those two setting and report back if they are indeed setup properly.
    3. I even hinted that this is the first step in checking for possible problems and solutions. If my first suggestion wasn't the cause, then something else was at play. I said this in the second of my posts. Not exactly claiming my solution is the only way is it?
    4. I never said to turn off syncing. The point is to always have it on.
    5. The time server isn't your router, it is on a non-local, external network. Checking your routers time has nothing to do with what I've asked.For example an hp server facility, or a us military time server is what could be used for time keeping.

Tell me where I said this was the only cause, and the only solution to all of your problems? Tell me where I said I have all the answers?

I used the word ignored because I posted the syncing question a month ago, and no one even hinted to checking that avenue out for the good of everyone here. Whether right or wrong, it narrows down the possible causes.

Only after my second post did I see two responses actually vaguely hit on the area of connectivity.
    One said it only shows correct time when entered manually. Again, turning off sync and manually adjusting the time isn't what I am suggesting. And just because you turn it on immediately afterwards does not mean it is syncing with a server.

The other person said they didn't think this was a problem with promexity to wifi, because it is always at home near their wifi access point. Again, this has nothing to do with what I asked for everyone to check.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    LinuxKoss just because I didn't quote you doesn't mean I ignored you. I did answer that I am using NTP. I only disconnect when I am away from home, although it happens connected or disconnected.
    Yss and thank you, but...
    That is only one of the options I asked for those troubled with this problem to check. The other being if the tablet is setup to stay connected to the internet after it is in standby.

Here is a third thing for others to check now, since some see a correlation with the touchstone. Try to replicate the problem with out the touchstone, but instead using the usb charging adapter plugged into the tablet.

One more thing, has anyone spoken with hp tech support and heard what they have to say?
    My TP 32gb doesn't have time drift at all. I use touchstone too.

Beside my wifi always on, I also always sync It with my Pre3.
    You're right, you never said it was the solution or only solution, I apologize for putting it that way so bluntly. My point was that I felt your suggestion was fairly obvious and I think most of us have moved beyond those settings.

I understand that the sync server is external, I was implying that perhaps if the router was incorrect, it had an effect on the TP. Whether the network time option is on or off does not make a difference. I'm not am expert but I am just trying to troubleshoot the best I can. I thought maybe if it didn't sync to a server, it would run on an internal clock. It is still fast when it is off. That's what I was getting at.

1. Never said I had the answers for everything.
    2. I was asking all of you to check those two setting and report back if they are indeed setup properly.
    3. I even hinted that this is the first step in checking for possible problems and solutions. If my first suggestion wasn't the cause, then something else was at play. I said this in the second of my posts. Not exactly claiming my solution is the only way is it?
    4. I never said to turn off syncing. The point is to always have it on.
    5. The time server isn't your router, it is on a non-local, external network. Checking your routers time has nothing to do with what I've asked.For example an hp server facility, or a us military time server is what could be used for time keeping.

Tell me where I said this was the only cause, and the only solution to all of your problems? Tell me where I said I have all the answers?

I used the word ignored because I posted the syncing question a month ago, and no one even hinted to checking that avenue out for the good of everyone here. Whether right or wrong, it narrows down the possible causes.

Only after my second post did I see two responses actually vaguely hit on the area of connectivity.
    One said it only shows correct time when entered manually. Again, turning off sync and manually adjusting the time isn't what I am suggesting. And just because you turn it on immediately afterwards does not mean it is syncing with a server.

The other person said they didn't think this was a problem with promexity to wifi, because it is always at home near their wifi access point. Again, this has nothing to do with what I asked for everyone to check.

Yss and thank you, but...
    That is only one of the options I asked for those troubled with this problem to check. The other being if the tablet is setup to stay connected to the internet after it is in standby.

Here is a third thing for others to check now, since some see a correlation with the touchstone. Try to replicate the problem with out the touchstone, but instead using the usb charging adapter plugged into the tablet.

One more thing, has anyone spoken with hp tech support and heard what they have to say?
    LinuxKoss, most routers do have their own time servers built in, and this is what is normally used. Mine is 100% dead on, all the time, and all my pcs in my house sync to it.

Mine jumped 10 forward the next minute update after I took it off the touchstone today. I'm thinking that it occurs primarily at boot or when taken off charge.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Same problem here 32GP TP... I have exactly the same problem... 10 minutes per day, minimum. Unit was on standby overnite, occurs whether or not it's docked to the touchstone.
    Last edited by epetru; 11/01/2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: I've opened a Support Ticket... please do thesame
    I've opened a Support Ticket... please do the same
    Just noticed this with mine, hmmm, odd issue, turning network time off and then on again at least updated it to the correct time. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update, unless its one of our tweaks causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf... View Post
    Just noticed this with mine, hmmm, odd issue, turning network time off and then on again at least updated it to the correct time. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update, unless its one of our tweaks causing it.
    no

my wife's TP is stock after the latest webOS update...she's using hers just as a Kindle reader.She's experiencing same problem
    My TP as well

both TP's are 32 GB charged on Touchstone .. one synced with the network the other is not
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    If you meant me, that was me just forgetting what you had wrote exactly since I didn't quote it. While in the end it might have "nothing to do with what you asked," at least I bothered to answer.
    And, yes WiFi is on while the "phone sleeps". Once again, like the sync setting, this is on by default.

No correlation to the touchstone for me it seems. Went home for Thanksgiving without the TS and charged with the adapter overnight. Woke up and it was 20 minutes slow.
    If it's any consolation ,I have a HP e-station wifi printer with the Zeen tablet and the time on it is always 10 minutes fast no matter how many times i reset it. I guess the conclusion to draw here is HP cant make timepieces .
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Is It me or is it bizarre that the most rudimentary thing such as the clock would be bad on a digital device? Bad QA there HP.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast