Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dbpaddler
  • 1 Post By 9KRacing
  • 1 Post By coolguyz11
  1.    #1  
    At 75% off the Touchpad is no bargain.

Made me laugh, especially some of the comments considering they are all pro touchpad. Hard to believe what the focus is on compared to what he left out, considering the nature of the magazine and the fact he's a tech writer.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    I don't understand how this could be anything less then a great deal at $99... The fact you are getting the hardware for $207 cheaper then it took to make it should tell you something. Heck, a crappy phone off contract costs $300.
    The writer is taking the wrong view. At 99 bucks, even if there was no app store and no updates, it's a good deal. You're not going to find a better couch surfing, video watching, mp3 playing touchscreen device for the price.

With the possibility of continued support (in whatever form), possible Android hack, etc., it's a no brainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    The writer is taking the wrong view. At 99 bucks, even if there was no app store and no updates, it's a good deal. You're not going to find a better couch surfing, video watching, mp3 playing touchscreen device for the price.

With the possibility of continued support (in whatever form), possible Android hack, etc., it's a no brainer.
    Exactly. Heck, my mom's portable DVD player with 7" screen was $140 and it doesn't have anywhere near the battery life of the TouchPad.

On tangent with the couch surfing thing, is anyone else here getting rendering issues with the built-in browser? For some reason, mine occasionally bungles up the rendering (e.g. horizontal line dividing the text, misaligned pages, etc).
    One of those comments is mine from yesterday :P
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    This writer has obviously never used a tablet.
    Who owns that site, Apple? Terrible article, obviously Kelly has never tried a TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    On tangent with the couch surfing thing, is anyone else here getting rendering issues with the built-in browser? For some reason, mine occasionally bungles up the rendering (e.g. horizontal line dividing the text, misaligned pages, etc).
    Yup... But I don't have any suggestions. Some people prefer the Advanced browser you can purchase in the App Catalog. Hopefully soon they can update it 2 b the default browser but people really like it. I think it's $2.80. Hth
    I get the screwy rendering too sometimes, Advanced browser is a work in progress and no better than stock at most things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    This writer has obviously never used a tablet.
    Or she/he has IPad that paid over $500

I don't really get it when TouchPad haters are talking no future updates of TouchPad. Frankly, how many updates do we get while we own the device? I do have android phone and only got 2-3 major updates for two years. Even without them, I should be able to call and go to website from my phone.

If I can use this device over 1 year, I am fine without new update because it works as I intended and I will definitely get new toy after that period and the technology will be better.
    vanzanthp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguyz11 View Post

I don't really get it when TouchPad haters are talking no future updates of TouchPad. Frankly, how many updates do we get while we own the device? I do have android phone and only got 2-3 major updates for two years. Even without them, I should be able to call and go to website from my phone.

If I can use this device over 1 year, I am fine without new update because it works as I intended and I will definitely get new toy after that period and the technology will be better.
    So true. For example, with Apple, you usually get 2 years of firmware updates before they stop supporting your device. Even then, you usually can't take advantage of all the improvements in software during the 2nd year because the hardware is too dated.

By the way, I have 2 iPad 2's I paid well over $500 for (32GB Wi-Fi brother's & 64GB Wi-Fi mine) and I can say that webOS's user interface is much better. Performance however, lags behind the iPad 2 without patches. Even just setting minimum logging helps a lot to improve TouchPad performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguyz11 View Post

True. And I thought the only support you got from Apple was for them to tell you to buy their latest model to get the most up to date OS...

She certainly misses the point in the article, and it was obvious that she had never used a Touchpad - it sounded like she'd just selectively read a few reviews & then spoken to someone else about it.

The think that really made me doubt the integrity of her article though...

"H-P"

Thats 50% less efficient than HP. And it looks stupid.
    There is no reasonable way to look at this deal($99 TP) and say that it is anything but a great deal.
    I had to have a go at the reviewer incase others believe his opinion ! My Reply was:

This article is a joke ! whoever wrote it should be fired for his anti webos views. Webos is currently the best tablet OS available from the research I have done. The early reviews for this device stated that sometimes it would become sluggish. But when you get the touchpad out of the box there is an update waiting for you which rectifies the problem. If you still feel its sluggish then there is a small tweak you can type into the keypad to make sure it never slows down (logging). I don’t have any tablet devices myself due to the cost but if I had, had the money during the firesale I would have snapped one up ! Another comment on here says you are pro apple, this would seem to be the case because an HP touchpad can out perform an apple iPad 2 in everyway except apps. But with at least two teams working to bring an Android Dual boot to the touchpad a lack of apps won’t be a problem for long.
  15.    #15  
    It's funny, I bashed webOS quite a bit. More so Palm and HP for how they ran it into the ground with horrible marketing, low quality devices and bad support in general. But I always liked the OS for the most part. Even I see the value in the TP at those prices and even if you tacked on $100. To not is just crazy. I liked the one comment, "paid for by Apple, Inc."
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.