Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    my 16gb 5647 battery says 99% health, 5590 mah left
  2.    #42  
    OK this is now. But was it before? Do you remember?
  3.    #43  
    I have forgotten to tell you:
    You can't change any value with Dr.Battery on the new devices. You get this strange behavior when trying to change the health. But this is only the UI.
    You can't change any value on the new devices with dr.battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Even though this is not so good news for you I was hoping to here such report. I have expected they include some calibrating mechanism into the new A6 chip.
    Can you please tell me:
    What was the manufacturer rating (MFR) and health before?
    I understand MFR was 6218 or was this calculated left?
    What was the health.
    Now you have health 99% but what is 5647? MFR or calculated left?
    I can not honestly recall previous #'s as I have read so many posts and numbers but it was definitely over 6000. The health was at 99% previously and is now at 99% with Mfr. 5647 and calc of 5590. As soon as I find box I will update battery model#
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    OK this is now. But was it before? Do you remember?
    my stats didn't change. i had this touchpad for a week, just installed preware and dr. battery yesterday and that's what it said
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by trayfer View Post
    I can not honestly recall previous #'s as I have read so many posts and numbers but it was definitely over 6000. The health was at 99% previously and is now at 99% with Mfr. 5647 and calc of 5590. As soon as I find box I will update battery model#
    This is strange. Usually the battery chip adjusts the health. In your case it looks like the calibration adjusted the MFR?
    Damn why did they hide the sources of the battery driver.

How old is the TP or better how often did you do a full charge from say 10% or less to 100%. Maybe your battery gets better after 3-5 full charges as suggested by battery manufacturers.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So any comparison test results yet between the two batteries? So how come the 5647 ones show 100% health for me and others while the higher capacity is shows only 95% health?
    I will run mine down and report back drain time. What I would like to know are which settings and/or activity would be best suited to be active while draining in order to report back useable baseline information.

The second thing I'd like to know is should I let it drain to 0% [somewhere close to 0% it chirps to plug it in] or until the unit shuts itself down? During each cycle which I have fully charged the TP it continues operating for several (4+ hours) while reading 0%

Unit is currently 99% MFR. 5647 and CALC 5590

som.line. thanks for your help and input.
    I will run mine down and report back drain time. What I would like to know are which settings and/or activity would be best suited to be active while draining in order to report back useable baseline information.

The second thing I'd like to know is should I let it drain to 0% [somewhere close to 0% it chirps to plug it in] or until the unit shuts itself down? During each cycle which I have fully charged the TP it continues operating for several (4+ hours) while reading 0%

som.line. thanks for your help and input.

I have done 5-7 full cycle charges. The last one was the only one were I let the unit tottaly exhaust itself. the unit is 3 weeks new.
    just tested my touchpads with different batteries. touchpads were at 100% charge, wifi on, 100% brightness, warthog @ 1.5 ghz, and watching a video file on repeat.

16gb 5647 battery says 99% health, 5590 mah left = 4 hours 15 min
    32gb 6612 battery says 95% health, 6281 mah left = 4 hours 10 min

pretty surprising results.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    just tested my touchpads with different batteries. touchpads were at 100% charge, wifi on, 100% brightness, warthog @ 1.5 ghz, and watching a video file on repeat.

16gb 5647 battery says 99% health, 5590 mah left = 4 hours 15 min
    32gb 6612 battery says 95% health, 6281 mah left = 4 hours 10 min

pretty surprising results.
    Thanks you for you effort. That was a very good test.
    It actually doesn't surprise me. I have hoped that the batteries are similar if not equal. Maybe the batteries just have different MFR/health values comming from different manufacturers.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by trayfer View Post

The following is my opinion and you will find others don't agree with it.
    This info is based on the old devices/battery chip:
    1. You can read batteries may get harmed when completely discharged.
      This is true if the battery gets down to very low voltage (near 0V). WebOS shuts the unit down at around 3,4V. So it's save to drain to 0% shown in webOS.
    2. The old chip was entering calibration mode exactly at 3.413V.
      I assume that the new devices have some similar mechanism.
    3. You can read that new LiIon batteries don't need a training phase.
      But manufacturers of 3th party batteries like Mugen suggest to do 3-5 chargecircles where you drain the battery to say 10% and then charge uninterrupted to 100%

That said I would train a new battery 3 to 5 times to 10% and charge uninterrupted to 100% if possible.

@trayfer I would do exactly that maybe 2 more times and then a drain until webOS shutsdown. Hopefully the device enters some calibration mode after the last drain.
    EDIT: After reading your post again, I see this is exactly what you have done.
    That would explain your change in the MFR after last charge. Even though I don't understand the change in MFR as usually the health gets adjusted after calibration.

As said, this is what I would do. This info is based on the knowledge I got by reading the manual of the old fuel gauge and the experience we got from the older devices.
    Last edited by somline; 09/09/2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Found my box and here is part# info:
    HP p/n FB355UA#ABA
    Battery p/n HSTNH-S29C-S

I will cycle charge my unit 3-4 time from 10% to 100% and then drain it as recommended.
    At that point should I once again drain to exhaustion and do a full recharge.

What I find odd is that my battery p/n is consistent with a 5647 reading but I started out of the box with 6612[pretty sure]. Only after the drain to exhaustion did the Mfr change to 5647.
    I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks now. Used it under normal conditions twice (charged it first when taking it out of the box, used it until it got to about 20%, charged it and then yesterday did a battery life test), and feel that the first run out of the box/the first charge I got the best battery life.

I have the 32GB version.

P/N FB359UA#ABL
    Battery P/N HSTNH-S29C-SPI967

From My Other Posts:

I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time (the battery was at 20% capacity according to the on-screen indicator) I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again the other night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work yesterday). Yesterday I started testing shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 10-15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
    100% at 6:52pm
    94% at 7:51pm
    76% at 9:29pm
    55% at 11:15pm
    36% at 12:52am
    28% at 1:40am
    20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it (3.0.2 I think it is), none of the builds and nothing is overclocked. Notifications are turned off, the screen is set to shut off after 1 minute. I have only installed pReader and a handful of books through the software (although I have the rest on the drive), and set up my email (IMAP and set to manual check).
    Last edited by FunkinsDesigns; 09/17/2011 at 03:47 PM.
    I've never noticed the backlight dimming as the battery drains, though I've only ever had it below 40% once I think.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've never noticed the backlight dimming as the battery drains, though I've only ever had it below 40% once I think.
    I've noticed it a few times actually, usually when reading a book in pReader. At around the 35 second mark the screen will dim and then around the 55 second mark the screen will shut off (due to the setting I have for screen lock). I've gone to the settings and found that when/if I turn off auto-dim the screen will actually brighten up to higher than it's current setting when in use although the slider will stay in the same location usually.
    Thought I'd ask to make sure I'm on the same page.

If I'm understanding correctly the proper way to condition the battery is to run it down to about 10% charge 3 - 4 times and then after that run the Touchpad completely until it shuts down while at 0% and then give it a full charge?
    So... Another test, probably a more realistic one in terms of use and maybe what others could expect/have experienced under normal use.

I forget when I started this, a few days ago but here goes:

9:45pm - Turned on Touchpad, 100% Battery, Bluetooth On
    9:47pm - When the Touchpad actually turned on
    -Used it for Hotmail, Twitter (Site), some Facebook (site)
    10:14pm - 98%
    10:57pm - 90%
    11:05pm - 88%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    12:47am - 89%, Off since 11:05, Went to Bed
    9:01am - 88%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    10:01am - 74%
    10:14am - 72%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    4:45pm - 71%, Off since 10:14am
    11:13pm - 70%
    -Used to browse the web
    11:49pm - 70%
    12:41am - 58%, Went to Bed
    7:20am - 57%
    4:40pm - 55%
    5:09pm - 55%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    6:21pm - 38%, Turned Bluetooth Off
    8:15pm - 37%, Browsed the Web
    8:26pm - 35%
    11:42pm - 34%, Started Using pReader
    12:24am - 28%, Screen Locked and Off, Went To Bed
    7:40am - 26%, Turned It Off
    5:57pm - 25%, Turned It On, Did Not Use
    10:03pm - 24%, Turned Bluetooth On, Surfed the Web, Twitter (Site), Facebook (Site)
    10:26pm - 20%
    11:02pm - 12%, Battery Indicator Turned Red
    11:11pm - 10%
    11:16pm - 9%, Turned Off Touchpad and Charged It

It was nice that I got a couple of days out of it with standard/normal use but I couldn't help but feel at times the battery seemed to drain quicker than others (Yes, I know... I'm nuts!)
    I think I might have a faulty battery.

I've done a few tests and they don't bode well. According to reviews of the HP Touchpad I should be getting at least 8.5 hours of battery life out of the tablet while playing video, but I'm not getting that. Not even close.

I've dabbled in oc'ing (uberkernel @ 1.5) but returned to standard kernel because the OC seemed to drain the battery even more.

Following figures are all at about 35% brightness and only WiFi enabled. Also I seem to lose about .5% at night. Thanks in advance for your help and advise. According to Dr battery I have a 5647 battery at 95% health.

Just normal web browsing:
    21:12 74%
    22:12 60% 14
    23:19 42% 18
    00:12 30% 12
    01:12 16% 14

4h = 58% at about 14% per hour for a battery life of a little over 6 hours.

with Dr battery numbers:
    14:27 100% 5107
    16:24 91% 4348 (1 hour standby)

This was a 10hr YouTube vid.
    16:46 -> 18:53 (2h17) 54% 2627 fs 10h YouTube vid (480p) cost: 37%

According to that I should at most get a 5 hour video playback, miles from the 8 hours mentioned in reviews.

Anyone know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue?
    Playing a video Vs Playing a video from YouTube - could that explain the difference?
    regan4017 likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast