Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    So from my understanding then is that even if I'm stuck with a smaller/weaker battery, I'm out of luck, as this is a standard thing according to HP... That really sucks, I could really use that extra 13-14% battery life of my ~5600mAh battery vs a ~6300mAh battery.

Are these two different batteries identifiable by their battery part numbers? On the box my battery's P/N is HSTNH-S29C-SPI967.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i have a brand new touchpad, first thing i did was connect it to charger and left it for about 7 hours.. an hour later i powered on the device, but after it booted up it was 97% battery. is that normal?
    I guess since we're all griping about the battery, mine consistently goes from 98% right to 100% when charging.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I have what sounds like a good battery according to the numbers here. I've tried to carefully condition it too. Yesterday I used the tab about 11 hours straight for surfing , video etc. Battery hit 0% at about 10 hours and it took another full HOUR before it shut down! I'm happy with performance like that.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I was about to post a thread asking about this, so I'm glad I searched first and found this already existing one! My 32GB TP, using Dr. Battery, shows my battery MFR to be 6612mAh, at 95% health, and therefore a capacity of 6281mAh. And just like in the first post, my TP seems to stop charging right around 5550mAh. The weird thing is, right towards the end of the charge cycle, Dr. Battery said I had 7% more to go at ~5300mAh, but the TP's internal battery meter read 100%. Definitely some discrepancy here!

So on the bright side, it looks like I have the "better" quality battery, but on the downside it looks like I'm in the same boat where I can't seem to get to the *real* 100% capacity, at least according to Dr. Battery.

That's not the only weirdness I have been seeing in regards to the battery. The other day, I used it off and on at work and home, and when I went to bed I had about 50% (+-5%) remaining. I put it to sleep, and didn't attempt to use it for another 12 hours or so. When I went to grab it again, it was showing 18% battery. So somehow in sleep, it drained ~30% in half a day. I was kind of ****ed off about that. I went into wifi settings and told it to disable wifi while sleeping, but was surprised to see that the TP recommends leaving it on to extend battery life... What? I used it for about an 30 minutes and then put it to sleep again. When I woke up this morning I checked on battery life and it was still at 16%. So I'm not sure what drained it the first night, but basically used 0% the second night.

So is the mutual consensus that even though Dr. Battery shows 5550% as the max it will go to, that everything is perfectly fine and the software might just be having issues?
  6.    #26  
    I've updated the first post for those wondering why the systemmenu doesn't show thze same percentage like Dr.Battery:
    Systemmenu shows 100% but Dr.Battery says 97%?
    For some reasons (hiding the charge/discharge loop while on charger) the system menu doesn't show the actual capacity.
    This has been since the beginning of webOS.
    There is a patch to change that but idk if avail for TP.
    If someone knows if the patch "show actual battery percentage" is available or not on TP please post here.
    Thanks.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess since we're all griping about the battery, mine consistently goes from 98% right to 100% when charging.
    Was this observed from the systemmenu or Dr.Battery?
    Update:

Just received a new or potentially reconditioned TP 16GB from HP. Hard to tell if it is new or not but it does come in a plain brown box with the TP only wrapped in plastic just like new.

Dr. Battery states this battery is reading a 5647. I am disappointed that this one obviously has the lesser capacity battery compared to my other TP which reads 6281.

So what do I do now. Do I return the reconditioned unit to HP and keep my wife's TP which works perfectly fine except for the lower battery rating or do I keep the reconditioned unit and send back my wife's TP. Is there a downside to the reconditioned units?

FYI it did come with 3.02 already installed.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    Update:

Just received a new or potentially reconditioned TP 16GB from HP. Hard to tell if it is new or not but it does come in a plain brown box with the TP only wrapped in plastic just like new.

Dr. Battery states this battery is reading a 5647. I am disappointed that this one obviously has the lesser capacity battery compared to my other TP which reads 6281.

So what do I do now. Do I return the reconditioned unit to HP and keep my wife's TP which works perfectly fine except for the lower battery rating or do I keep the reconditioned unit and send back my wife's TP. Is there a downside to the reconditioned units?

FYI it did come with 3.02 already installed.

Thanks.
    Or Option C: Keep both and let HP charge your credit card for $99 for the replacement unit and sell it for a reasonable profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    Or Option C: Keep both and let HP charge your credit card for $99 for the replacement unit and sell it for a reasonable profit.
    They have a $275 hold on my CC. Most likely to assure at least one unit is returned.
    i have a 32gb which is at 6xxx and a 16gb at 5xxx. seems like they are just using 2 different batteries. they also have different screens, so i guess it depends where it's made
    Another difference I noticed is evident under the device info screen:

TP 1:New 16 GB battery 6281 part number FB45UT#ABA
    TP 2:New 16 GB battery 5647 part number FB355UA#ABA
    TP 3 reconditioned: 16 GB battery 5647 part number FB355UA#ABA

So wonder if we have a trend here. I find it odd that there are so many variations on parts for the TP; iPad through FoxConn tend to be standard across the entire production lots which are typically in the millions not thousands like HP. So what gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    Another difference I noticed is evident under the device info screen:

TP 1:New 16 GB battery 6281 part number FB45UT#ABA
    TP 2:New 16 GB battery 5647 part number FB355UA#ABA
    TP 3 reconditioned: 16 GB battery 5647 part number FB355UA#ABA

So wonder if we have a trend here. I find it odd that there are so many variations on parts for the TP; iPad through FoxConn tend to be standard across the entire production lots which are typically in the millions not thousands like HP. So what gives?
    have you tried comparing the battery life for each unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    I have not, that will be my next step. I am going to run the same movie on each device and see which one lasts the longest. I will report back soon. I am assuming the 5647 battery will deplete quicker since the capacity is less. Maybe I am getting worked up over nothing and the specs are not relevant.
    updated info below to include battery part number from the box

TP 1:New 16 GB battery 6281 part number FB45UT#ABA; battery hstnh-f29c-s p1967
    TP 2:New 16 GB battery 5647 part number FB355UA#ABA; battery hstnh-s29c-s p1967

We maybe onto something battery part #hstnh-f29c-s p1967 may = the higher capacity 6281 battery while and hstnh-s29c-s p1967 is the lower 5647 battery.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    Someone should make such comparison test.

What I don't understand is why this other battery has a health of 99 or 100%.
    As I mentioned it's recommended to set health to 95% as on the other battery.
    As a side note: My Veer has a 99% health as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    I was about to post a thread asking about this, so I'm glad I searched first and found this already existing one! My 32GB TP, using Dr. Battery, shows my battery MFR to be 6612mAh, at 95% health, and therefore a capacity of 6281mAh. And just like in the first post, my TP seems to stop charging right around 5550mAh. The weird thing is, right towards the end of the charge cycle, Dr. Battery said I had 7% more to go at ~5300mAh, but the TP's internal battery meter read 100%. Definitely some discrepancy here!

So on the bright side, it looks like I have the "better" quality battery, but on the downside it looks like I'm in the same boat where I can't seem to get to the *real* 100% capacity, at least according to Dr. Battery.

That's not the only weirdness I have been seeing in regards to the battery. The other day, I used it off and on at work and home, and when I went to bed I had about 50% (+-5%) remaining. I put it to sleep, and didn't attempt to use it for another 12 hours or so. When I went to grab it again, it was showing 18% battery. So somehow in sleep, it drained ~30% in half a day. I was kind of ****ed off about that. I went into wifi settings and told it to disable wifi while sleeping, but was surprised to see that the TP recommends leaving it on to extend battery life... What? I used it for about an 30 minutes and then put it to sleep again. When I woke up this morning I checked on battery life and it was still at 16%. So I'm not sure what drained it the first night, but basically used 0% the second night.

So is the mutual consensus that even though Dr. Battery shows 5550% as the max it will go to, that everything is perfectly fine and the software might just be having issues?

This has been happening to me for about 5 days now. I put the TP to sleep and 7 hours later the battery has drained 13%. Sometimes, not always, when I click the power button to turn the screen on, the LCARS clock is open and running in the foreground. It is like my TP gets confused sometimes and thinks it should be in exhibition mode. However, other times I have the same bad battery drain and the LCARS clock is not running. I cannot figure it out. I changed my Facebook polling from 20 minutes to 1 hour and it didn't help. I suspect the TP is just another shoddy Hp product. I will probably just web doctor it back to stock and possibly keep it that way, it's got to be preware crap conflicting.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    This has been happening to me for about 5 days now. I put the TP to sleep and 7 hours later the battery has drained 13%. Sometimes, not always, when I click the power button to turn the screen on, the LCARS clock is open and running in the foreground. It is like my TP gets confused sometimes and thinks it should be in exhibition mode. However, other times I have the same bad battery drain and the LCARS clock is not running. I cannot figure it out. I changed my Facebook polling from 20 minutes to 1 hour and it didn't help. I suspect the TP is just another shoddy Hp product. I will probably just web doctor it back to stock and possibly keep it that way, it's got to be preware crap conflicting.
    I haven't had that issue occur since the first time. I did however disable wifi on sleep, which might have helped. I have no idea why WebOS recommends leaving it ON to INCREASE battery life. Makes no sense to me. That's like saying to leave the engine in your car running when you leave it to increase fuel mileage. In any case, I left it in sleep mode for about a day and a half and it might have dropped 1%. I also left it in sleep last night and it didn't lose anything. I'm thinking some online application might be causing the drain, so maybe disabling wifi prevents that. It only takes about 5 seconds to reassociate with the network after I turn it back on, so I'm happy. I have enough devices beeping at me when I get an email, so I don't need the TP to do it too.
    My 16gb was reporting 6218 out of the box now it shows 5647! Here's what went down. I installed Dr. Battery in an attempt to adjust my battery health level as suggested.
    [I was unable to adjust health value as each attempt jumped straight to an invalid value message. It would not allow me to change health value]
    I let the battery drain to 0% [it kept going for over 5 hours on 0%] and the without warning shut down. After reconnecting with standard charger I had a large battery icon with charging bolt an a red line at bottom. This icon cleared after 30 min and the unit appeared to be charging normally so I left it overnight. In the morning HP icon was solid green and reading 100% but Dr. Battery was showing 99 and 5647.

What does this all mean and what should I do?

When I find the box I will update to report which battery model is listed on label.
    Last edited by trayfer; 09/08/2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: additional information
  20.    #40  
    Even though this is not so good news for you I was hoping to here such report. I have expected they include some calibrating mechanism into the new A6 chip.
    Can you please tell me:
    What was the manufacturer rating (MFR) and health before?
    I understand MFR was 6218 or was this calculated left?
    What was the health.
    Now you have health 99% but what is 5647? MFR or calculated left?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast