Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By th3h0ff
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Let me start by saying that I love my Pre2, but I find myself using my Thunderbolt more now since I got my touchpad. The touchpad is what WebOS should be so I'm still getting my WebOS fix, but my Thunderbolt actually works better with my TP in my opinion. I find that the 4g tethering is amazing on this thing and I have a more stable connection than I had with freetether. Also because of an app call desksms, I can have all my text messages forwarded to my gtalk account which is beautifully integrated with the sms app on the TP! I know this was supposed be a benefit of having 2 WEBOS devices but I must say it works amazingly cross platform (actually better, because it actually works) so if you have an Android phone check it out!

Thanks,
    Th3h0ff
    Last edited by Th3H0ff; 09/01/2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: posted the incorrect app name as pointed out. Correct app name is desksms!
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    thanks for that
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    No problem! I'm sure te just a matter of time before its figure out on webOS phones!
    Can you elaborate on the desktop sms to TP please? I installed desktop sms on my android, but I don't see anything coming through on my sms app, even though I have my gmail credentials logged in
    Found the App

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

I'm so gonna try this when i get my TP
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Can you elaborate on the desktop sms to TP please? I installed desktop sms on my android, but I don't see anything coming through on my sms app, even though I have my gmail credentials logged in
    Sure, first off do you have a gTalk account? This app redirects all incomng messages to a server which then redirects it into the google account you specify. For me I have it set up to be routed into my gtalk account (i used that account because with synergy it integrates into your sms app, rather than responding via email. So make sure you have the option checked in the desksms app checked to gtalk in order to get the messages to be directed to the messenging app on the TP. Send yourself a test message (also in the options) to see if you have it set up correctly. A few things i did initially was to remember to list myself as available in the sms app on the TP (or they dont come through) and also you must be connected to wifi because it is essentially a push service.

After 1 full day of use heres what I like and dislike.

1. It works, albeit a work around more so but it works, responses go out as if sent from your phone and the look no different than any other response.

Things that need refinement, limitations..

1. You have to accept the very first message from a contact on your TP. Only once not for every conversation, but just for the very first time you receive a text using the app from that contact, after that works as advertised.
    2. Only the PH# is displayed on the contacts pane in the left column along with "@desksms" appended to it. The actual message will have the name displayed like a normal text message.
    3. As of right now you can only respond to a message number that is being displayed, so if you erase a convo you can not initiate another text without it being in the convo list. (I have emailed the dev to see about exporting the list to gtalk as he already allows it to be exported to gmail)

Again its not the perfect pairing, but it is a pairing and does work pretty well! Let me know if you have any other troubles and I'll try to help further,

Th3h0ff
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    I have emailed the dev to see about exporting the list to gtalk as he already allows it to be exported to gmail
    Th3h0ff
    Gtalk and Gmail should be sharing contacts, if not there is some settings that make this possible in Gmail
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    Sure, first off do you have a gTalk account? This app redirects all incomng messages to a server which then redirects it into the google account you specify. For me I have it set up to be routed into my gtalk account (i used that account because with synergy it integrates into your sms app, rather than responding via email. So make sure you have the option checked in the desksms app checked to gtalk in order to get the messages to be directed to the messenging app on the TP. Send yourself a test message (also in the options) to see if you have it set up correctly. A few things i did initially was to remember to list myself as available in the sms app on the TP (or they dont come through) and also you must be connected to wifi because it is essentially a push service.

After 1 full day of use heres what I like and dislike.

1. It works, albeit a work around more so but it works, responses go out as if sent from your phone and the look no different than any other response.

Things that need refinement, limitations..

1. You have to accept the very first message from a contact on your TP. Only once not for every conversation, but just for the very first time you receive a text using the app from that contact, after that works as advertised.
    2. Only the PH# is displayed on the contacts pane in the left column along with "@desksms" appended to it. The actual message will have the name displayed like a normal text message.
    3. As of right now you can only respond to a message number that is being displayed, so if you erase a convo you can not initiate another text without it being in the convo list. (I have emailed the dev to see about exporting the list to gtalk as he already allows it to be exported to gmail)

Again its not the perfect pairing, but it is a pairing and does work pretty well! Let me know if you have any other troubles and I'll try to help further,

Th3h0ff
    Thanks man, I actually got it to push the texts to my TP, but I can't respond. When I try, it tells me the app is offline and gives me the option to send anyway. But it doesn't send.

BTW, in your first post it says "desktop sms" and the second it says "desk sms". There is actually BOTH apps in the android market. Desktop sms didn't seem to work for me, but desk sms did. Still no return texts though.
    Ok, I think I got it working. Sort of. One of my friends randomly texted me and I got the "invite" on my TP. For some reason though, it doesn't show me the invite for my dad, and it shows him as offline. Maybe because I was screwing around with that other app. Eh, I'll play with it some more and see if I can get it to work.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Sorry for the app confusion. The app is desksms its by a highly respected developer named koush! On a side note as I was out shopping my tbolt prompted me to link profiles with all the "new email addresses" in my people app, which are the imported @desksms addresses. Curious to see if my gtalk account is also updated on my TP. I will let you all know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Freaking awesome is what this is. I'm going to make a thread pointing out how to do this for other Android users if that's ok. I know a LOT of people want this functionality. Thanks for the instructions man.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    What app are you using on your Thunderbolt for 4G tethering? I guess you have rooted? I have a Verizon Pre+ and am considering jumping ship to a 4G Android phone since there are no webOS phones in the works.

Thanks,
    Wayles
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wayles View Post
    What app are you using on your Thunderbolt for 4G tethering? I guess you have rooted? I have a Verizon Pre+ and am considering jumping ship to a 4G Android phone since there are no webOS phones in the works.

Thanks,
    Wayles
    Yes my Tbolt is rooted, the app is called wifi tether and is sideloadable or even just downloadable through the browser from Google. I do not believe its on the market anymore but there are several others. The Google coded one has always been the most stable for me! 4g tethering speeds are fast, I mean really fast. I usually don't use the 4g radio unless I'm tethering my TP or laptop...unless I just want to show off

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    wow thanks for this
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Update***

So after allowing my contacts to link it appears the names will appear in the left side of the messenger app just like a normal text! Sweet! Still trying to figure out how to start a convo without the contact being in the list though...hmmmm. Hopefully can get that worked out by tonight!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Freaking awesome is what this is. I'm going to make a thread pointing out how to do this for other Android users if that's ok. I know a LOT of people want this functionality. Thanks for the instructions man.
    No Prob 9K! I wouldnt mind at all! I tried to go back in and edit the title to this thing but it doesnt allow me. Maybe one of the mods could adjust it for me.... Just to read something more along the lines of "working sms to Touchpad from an Android phone". I through that title in there after maybe 1 to many beers last night