Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By luigidk
  • 1 Post By luigidk
  • 3 Post By beardedspoooon
  • 1 Post By alee712
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quick History...

- Decided not to buy a Touchpad, then went to Costco to buy one for $479.

- Used it for two weeks, and returned it to Costco for a full refund
    (I liked it, but between my PC and smartphone, a tablet was an expensive 3rd choice)

- Day after returning it, HP stops making WebOS Hardware

- That weekend, was able to get a 32gb TP for $149

Very much enjoy my TP now - what has changed?

... simple - the pricepoint changes EVERYTHING. The minor quibbles I had with the TP all went away and the things I like about having a tablet were more enjoyable. What pricepoint would have worked initially? For me - probably $299.

How does this affect my long term direction for mobile devices?

GREATLY...

... as soon as HP made their announcement I proclaimed to be done with WebOS (my pre-) and went out to SPRINT to look at Android phones and Tablets. I even decided to pick up the Samsung Epic 4G as soon as it became available.

Basically, well to be blunt - Android is not very good. The user experience pales in comparison to WebOS and yes - to iOS. I really don't get the attraction. And what's with these HUGE footprints... really they ought to call them 5" tablets... geez. Thinking I had to switch to Android was VERY depressing and felt like a big step backwards in my mobile experience.

I then went and used the iPhone and iPad2... these fare much better than ANY android device.

However - iOS has the following MAJOR issues:
    - no Flash... until I had my Touchpad I never realized what a BIG DEAL this is on iPads... seriously - this is a HUGE issue. What is Apple thinking (well we all know - they sell more apps this way)
    - I DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE iTUNES and everything else that Apple requires me to do (like BUY apps because flash doesn't work...). I want to be able to copy MP3 files, videos in any way/format I like. I want to be able to HOMEBREW my device and make it work MY WAY... NOT the APPLE way.

End Result:
    - Because of the Touchpad I can live with my PRE- MUCH longer... heck I'm even using my TP for calls - and well - SKYPE is really great (please let me connect with my PRE- for texting... PLEASE)
    - I'm going to wait for Samsung to buy WebOS and put in on an Epic4G... (or similar) I can wait a year....

Samsung has GOT to realize that with the Google/Motorola marriage - and the newly created demand for WebOS (yes - it was a complete accident on HP's part) - that they would be walking in market all set for them, complete with the #2 selling tablet on the market!

One last comment... I LIKE the form factor of my PRE-. I like the slideout keyboard and I like the pebble-stone feel for sliding it into/out of my pocket... the size is perfect as is the feel... the TP basically handles all the things I used to wish I could do on my Pre-... IN fact, my need for a smartphone has just dropped significantly (give me a phone, text and freetether, and the rest I have my TP for).

My Touchpad has changed what my SmartPhone needs are... but it took a pricepoint I could live with for that to be realized.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Agreed with the price point changing everything. I mean even my grandma who doesn't use computers wanted one if it was only $99!

As for changing my smartphone needs I haven't really changed on that. I'm in a never ending quest to find the ultimate smartphone that will last 2 days on one charge (hey a guy can dream cant he? ), be my sole personal computer, great digital camera, voice recorder, gps navigation, game console with bluetooth controller support, and hdmi output, nfc support, etc...

In the meantime though I got a Veer for $49 contract free from HP during the firesale so, just like the touchpad at $99, I am more than content with it and LOVE what it brings to the table form wise as well as function
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Well, you can always jailbreak an iOS device. Sure, it's not as easy as Preware, but it will let you customize the crap out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    Well, you can always jailbreak an iOS device. Sure, it's not as easy as Preware, but it will let you customize the crap out of it.
    I was just about to say the same thing. An iDevice is not a complete device until after it is jailbroken. As for easy, it's as easy as typing in JailbreakMe 3.0 (as long as you are on iOS 4.3.3 or earlier). That's it. Done.

Anyway, I would never buy an iDevice unless I can jailbreak it. You are still left without Flash, but for me I have Flash disabeled on every xomputer I own. I hate Flash with a passion. Biggest piece of garbage software ever made.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Agreed that flash is not great.

but in reality, the web experience is much better with it than without
    The Bard likes this.
    And if you come across somebody with an iOS device that isn't jailbroken, you'd be thinking, "Wha?! How do you even BEGIN to manage?"
    Look up videos for the new Samsung Epic 4G Touch. It's not a Pre, but it's definitely going to be a monster when it comes out.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by capn774 View Post
    Look up videos for the new Samsung Epic 4G Touch. It's not a Pre, but it's definitely going to be a monster when it comes out.
    Def the best of the 3 hardware wise (1800mAh battery, Notification LED)... but I don't need unlimited everything and an $80/mo MINIMUM starting point for a 2 year contract is a real tough pill to swallow
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    Quick History...

- Decided not to buy a Touchpad, then went to Costco to buy one for $479.

- Used it for two weeks, and returned it to Costco for a full refund
    (I liked it, but between my PC and smartphone, a tablet was an expensive 3rd choice)

- Day after returning it, HP stops making WebOS Hardware

- That weekend, was able to get a 32gb TP for $149

Very much enjoy my TP now - what has changed?

... simple - the pricepoint changes EVERYTHING. The minor quibbles I had with the TP all went away and the things I like about having a tablet were more enjoyable. What pricepoint would have worked initially? For me - probably $299.

How does this affect my long term direction for mobile devices?

GREATLY...

... as soon as HP made their announcement I proclaimed to be done with WebOS (my pre-) and went out to SPRINT to look at Android phones and Tablets. I even decided to pick up the Samsung Epic 4G as soon as it became available.

Basically, well to be blunt - Android is not very good. The user experience pales in comparison to WebOS and yes - to iOS. I really don't get the attraction. And what's with these HUGE footprints... really they ought to call them 5" tablets... geez. Thinking I had to switch to Android was VERY depressing and felt like a big step backwards in my mobile experience.

I then went and used the iPhone and iPad2... these fare much better than ANY android device.

However - iOS has the following MAJOR issues:
    - no Flash... until I had my Touchpad I never realized what a BIG DEAL this is on iPads... seriously - this is a HUGE issue. What is Apple thinking (well we all know - they sell more apps this way)
    - I DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE iTUNES and everything else that Apple requires me to do (like BUY apps because flash doesn't work...). I want to be able to copy MP3 files, videos in any way/format I like. I want to be able to HOMEBREW my device and make it work MY WAY... NOT the APPLE way.

End Result:
    - Because of the Touchpad I can live with my PRE- MUCH longer... heck I'm even using my TP for calls - and well - SKYPE is really great (please let me connect with my PRE- for texting... PLEASE)
    - I'm going to wait for Samsung to buy WebOS and put in on an Epic4G... (or similar) I can wait a year....

Samsung has GOT to realize that with the Google/Motorola marriage - and the newly created demand for WebOS (yes - it was a complete accident on HP's part) - that they would be walking in market all set for them, complete with the #2 selling tablet on the market!

One last comment... I LIKE the form factor of my PRE-. I like the slideout keyboard and I like the pebble-stone feel for sliding it into/out of my pocket... the size is perfect as is the feel... the TP basically handles all the things I used to wish I could do on my Pre-... IN fact, my need for a smartphone has just dropped significantly (give me a phone, text and freetether, and the rest I have my TP for).

My Touchpad has changed what my SmartPhone needs are... but it took a pricepoint I could live with for that to be realized.
    +1....a very BIG 1!
    I used to believe in HP
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    Quick History...

It's not really demand for webOS though, it's demand for high quality 99/149 dollar tablets.
    and it's not really demand for iPad; it's demand for the Apple brand name.
    bmacfarland likes this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    OMG can we stop all the new threads comparing webOS to Ipad and Android Please!

its littering the forum and really is off topic after one thread of it. Learn to search for a current thread and post to it.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sorry to beat the dead horse. But i haven't gotten my swing in

There's stuff I like about all the OSes, but despite all WebOS has going for it, it cant do a simple thing really well: web.

After applying all patches and clocking at 1.7GHz, my browsing speed is just almost on par with stock Honeycomb on the Transformer at stock 1GHz. Not an even comparison as the TP uses Cortex A8 vs the A9 in the Asus, but still.

The Ipad2 lacks flash, sure, but at least it otherwise loads pages quickly out of the box.

bleh
    Quote Originally Posted by alee712 View Post
    and it's not really demand for iPad; it's demand for the Apple brand name.
    Maybe at first, but 2 years later, it's the simplicity of iOS (my 65 year old mom zips around her iPhone like a champ) and the insane amount of apps. Apple created a quality product, priced it under $500, and people flocked to it. Love it or hate it, but nothing is ever going to catch it.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    didn't mean for this to be anything more than sharing how the touchpad has impacted my overall mobile device experience.

certainly did not mean for it to cross into a comparison of id's.

Apple makes great devices, I have great respect for them and fully understand why they are so popular - for very good reasons. My apple comments were meant to explain why they don't work for me, not to bash Apple. My Android comments were to share the disappointment I had when trying out Android as I was hoping would solve my long term mobile needs.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I like webos, I'm still getting the hang of it. I still prefer Android Honeycomb. With that being said, I don't quite understand the negative reviews that the Touchpad received. I think it is great tablet. I really can't say much about the iPad because I've only had one in my hand for about 5 minutes.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm going to disagree. webOS is great, if you are using it for work, or for absolutely nothing more than web browsing, email, a few games, etc. But the lack of customization kills it. I've been using android for a couple years now, and the ability to up and completely change the look, functionality, etc is amazing. My phone has gone through several iterations of homescreen arrangements, from over cluttered with widgets and live info, to super simple nothing more than a clock and pandora controls. Trying to go from that to being locked into what someone else decided was a good design and no way to change it is infuriating.

The card idea is a good one, and the true multitasking is nice, but it's not what i want to see constantly. And changing dock items does not count as customization. You can be sure i'm going to be installing honeycomb once there is a port.

As for the ipad, well, lets just say i'm opinionated, and anything that requires itunes to manage it can go die in a fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    But the lack of customization kills it.
    This what I am really itching to do and miss most.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmo1911 View Post
    Sorry to beat the dead horse. But i haven't gotten my swing in
    That's a good line.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    raise your hand if you can't wait to put Android over this clunky webOS