- Decided not to buy a Touchpad, then went to Costco to buy one for $479.
- Used it for two weeks, and returned it to Costco for a full refund
(I liked it, but between my PC and smartphone, a tablet was an expensive 3rd choice)
- Day after returning it, HP stops making WebOS Hardware
- That weekend, was able to get a 32gb TP for $149
Very much enjoy my TP now - what has changed?
... simple - the pricepoint changes EVERYTHING. The minor quibbles I had with the TP all went away and the things I like about having a tablet were more enjoyable. What pricepoint would have worked initially? For me - probably $299.
How does this affect my long term direction for mobile devices?
... as soon as HP made their announcement I proclaimed to be done with WebOS (my pre-) and went out to SPRINT to look at Android phones and Tablets. I even decided to pick up the Samsung Epic 4G as soon as it became available.
Basically, well to be blunt - Android is not very good. The user experience pales in comparison to WebOS and yes - to iOS. I really don't get the attraction. And what's with these HUGE footprints... really they ought to call them 5" tablets... geez. Thinking I had to switch to Android was VERY depressing and felt like a big step backwards in my mobile experience.
I then went and used the iPhone and iPad2... these fare much better than ANY android device.
However - iOS has the following MAJOR issues:
- no Flash... until I had my Touchpad I never realized what a BIG DEAL this is on iPads... seriously - this is a HUGE issue. What is Apple thinking (well we all know - they sell more apps this way)
- I DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE iTUNES and everything else that Apple requires me to do (like BUY apps because flash doesn't work...). I want to be able to copy MP3 files, videos in any way/format I like. I want to be able to HOMEBREW my device and make it work MY WAY... NOT the APPLE way.
- Because of the Touchpad I can live with my PRE- MUCH longer... heck I'm even using my TP for calls - and well - SKYPE is really great (please let me connect with my PRE- for texting... PLEASE)
- I'm going to wait for Samsung to buy WebOS and put in on an Epic4G... (or similar) I can wait a year....
Samsung has GOT to realize that with the Google/Motorola marriage - and the newly created demand for WebOS (yes - it was a complete accident on HP's part) - that they would be walking in market all set for them, complete with the #2 selling tablet on the market!
One last comment... I LIKE the form factor of my PRE-. I like the slideout keyboard and I like the pebble-stone feel for sliding it into/out of my pocket... the size is perfect as is the feel... the TP basically handles all the things I used to wish I could do on my Pre-... IN fact, my need for a smartphone has just dropped significantly (give me a phone, text and freetether, and the rest I have my TP for).
My Touchpad has changed what my SmartPhone needs are... but it took a pricepoint I could live with for that to be realized.