webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad won't charge?
Touchpad won't charge?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 08/31/2011, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn774 View Post
Nothing has happened! Twisted and untwisted, charged and trickle charged, nothing has gotten my Touchpad out of the damn battery low logo at boot-up. Something is telling me this is a problem with the Touchpad itself... however I am thinking about picking up another Touchpad charger.

A trip to the WebOS doctor may be able to fix things... idk, may try it in the morning.
Get a Touchstone charger if you can for wireless charging and exhibition mode.
rstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Last night I put my Touchpad in the charger at 6% battery life. When I woke up the next morning, it was still 6%! I left the house for awhile, came back, and it was still 6%! I then proceeded to take my Touchpad out of the charger, thinking it was just estimating the battery life wrong. It turns out it wasn't, and it died within 20 minutes. I gave it 30 mins, came back to charge it again. The Touchpad has been under the charger for about 1 hour and is stuck at the battery logo.

HELP!
capn774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
A trip to the WebOS doctor may be able to fix things... idk, may try it in the morning.
Only problem is, doesn't the WebOS doctor refuse to start until the battery is fully charged? When I doctored mine (with charge near full) it would first show a "charging battery" message for a while before the doctor would start.
DrPotoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bad outlet or defective charger?
Old 08/31/2011, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstark View Post
Bad outlet or defective charger?
Used multiple outlets, the Touchpad registers as charging, but never actually increases battery life.

How would I know if charger is defective? The Touchpad knows that I'm using its charger, because I attempted to charge it with my Motorola Droid charger and it didn't work.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does the charger have 2.0A printed on it? Without proper tools, I wouldn't know of another way to test it.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Touchpad charger says it outputs 2.0A. The Touchpad itself knows that I'm using its own charger, so idk what's going on here.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Touchpad charger says it outputs 2.0A. The Touchpad itself knows that I'm using its own charger, so idk what's going on here.
Well if you only need say 2 pins of the plug that leave extra pins to say close a switch o it knows its HP touchpad charger. Kind of simple
skyscanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

go into settings & run device info
check the drop down menu on the top left - there's diagnostic entry & you can run diags that may help
hairyfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyfil View Post
go into settings & run device info
check the drop down menu on the top left - there's diagnostic entry & you can run diags that may help
I can't do that, I'm stuck at the dead battery logo at boot-up.

Should I run WebOS doctor? I don't see my TouchPad suddenly becoming usable after hours and hours on the charger.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Take the USB cable out of your charger and leave the touchpad plugged into the USB port on a computer to charge.

If that doesn't work, next step would be to go buy yourself a generic USB charger that outputs at least 2 amps.

In all instances, make sure the touchpad is cool. I've had devices with lithium batteries refuse to charge because they were too hot - for example, GPS units when they are in full sun in the car.

Lithium batteries also apparently will refuse to charge if they've been drained too much. I don't know what to do if that is the case.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Were you ever able to charge it? If not, it could just be a loose power adapter.

The tube-shaped part that plugs into the wall is designed to work with multiple outlet prong styles. The factory installs the different prongs for different markets. A number of users have noted that their power adapters shipped without being tightened properly. Especially touch-stone adapters.

Before doing anything else, try to tighten your power adapter. If it tightens, that's very likely your problem.
Toasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
Take the USB cable out of your charger and leave the touchpad plugged into the USB port on a computer to charge.

If that doesn't work, next step would be to go buy yourself a generic USB charger that outputs at least 2 amps.

In all instances, make sure the touchpad is cool. I've had devices with lithium batteries refuse to charge because they were too hot - for example, GPS units when they are in full sun in the car.

Lithium batteries also apparently will refuse to charge if they've been drained too much. I don't know what to do if that is the case.
Leaving my Touchpad in my laptop as I type... hopefully this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
Were you ever able to charge it? If not, it could just be a loose power adapter.

The tube-shaped part that plugs into the wall is designed to work with multiple outlet prong styles. The factory installs the different prongs for different markets. A number of users have noted that their power adapters shipped without being tightened properly. Especially touch-stone adapters.

Before doing anything else, try to tighten your power adapter. If it tightens, that's very likely your problem.
I've had my Touchpad for a week and this problem never occurred until last night. I think I did unscrew the charger-top last night, but I've twisted it into place where it should work, but it doesn't.

Hopefully this is an issue with the charger, and not the Touchpad itself.
Old 08/31/2011, 09:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I've had my Touchpad for a week and this problem never occurred until last night. I think I did unscrew the charger-top last night, but I've twisted it into place where it should work, but it doesn't.
I think you found the problem. Start unscrewing and screwing it back and see the results. Make sure the grooves for the prongs line up with the white lettering.
Old 08/31/2011, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Hopefully this is an issue with the charger, and not the Touchpad itself.
You could have broken the charger adapter when you unscrewed it.Try unscrewing and re-screwing it.

A laptop may or may not trickle charge the device. Try plugging it into another USB charger, say for a phone. Neither a laptop or phone adapter will charge it quickly, but it should charge. If the charge raises at all, the problem is likely your adapter.

If your adapter is broken, you will need to get an official HP charger to replace it. The high amperage iPad chargers won't provide high amps to anything except Apple products.

That said, I have seen the official HP chargers for as little as $11. A lot of WalMarts still have them.
Old 08/31/2011, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks, guys. Going to try twisting and un-twisting. It may take awhile, but hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: BTW, how long should it take to get rid of this dreaded dying battery logo? I just need some gauge of time where I should twist the charger and try again.
Old 08/31/2011, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
Try plugging it into another USB charger, say for a phone. Neither a laptop or phone adapter will charge it quickly, but it should charge.
I found that with the touchpad plugged into my HTC HD2 charger, which is same voltage but rated at 1amp, the touchpad battery level went down. I figured since you get a "charge only" option when plugging into a computer with the TP switched on it must be possible to charge from a computer USB port. Hopefully the fault here is just with the charger.
Old 08/31/2011, 10:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Going to try twisting and un-twisting. It may take awhile, but hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: BTW, how long should it take to get rid of this dreaded dying battery logo? I just need some gauge of time where I should twist the charger and try again.
Trickle charging from a laptop could take ages. Laptops can provide tiny levels of power through their USB ports. Of course, it should charge faster if the Touchpad is turned off when charging.

You're only trying to see if another source can charge it at all. An hour or so plugged into anything should show a tiny (at least 1%) increase in power. (Assuming the Touchpad is turned off.)

Any increase would suggest the adapter is broken, rather than the Touchpad itself.
Old 09/01/2011, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Nothing has happened! Twisted and untwisted, charged and trickle charged, nothing has gotten my Touchpad out of the damn battery low logo at boot-up. Something is telling me this is a problem with the Touchpad itself... however I am thinking about picking up another Touchpad charger.

Old 09/01/2011, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

it will not charge off of a computer usb port - not enough power.
touchstone or wall charger is the only way to charge
hairyfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gamoses

Tags
battery, charge, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0