Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    This was posted on Appleinsider and I believe it was insightful. Could this be more fact than fiction???:

Today, 02:30 PM #15
    tortlebow

Date: August 31 2011
    Why I don't want one - now!
    Having been in manufacturing (Quality Assurance), I know that some of the product has poor quality, fails too soon after getting into users hands or is made with shoddy components. It's a fact of life in manufacturing. Normally the company selling to the customer wants to have a good image and reputation (so the customer comes back for more). Now that HP "has to" make many more TouchPads and is about to spin off the responsibility for them to some other company or just dump the whole business, it has no reason to be very concerned about the quality or reliability of the product made (and bought by you). In fact, they may have little motivation to be at all concerned because they will never again have to address any problems that result from selling "garbage" product.

Further, the suppliers have little motivation to provide high quality components. Maybe they want to get rid of the poor quality components. {They have a committed buyer of their parts and little requirement to replace defective parts.}

So, don't expect anything but the very least quality in your purchase of a new made TouchPad as HP and its suppliers are only required to meet minimal quality requirements in any part of this process.
    ananniia likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It's dated Jan 2009 the touchpad wasn't out till July 2011.
  3.    #3  
    That is his join date for Appleinsider.....
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Scratch my previous post!!
    What would you expect from an Apple related site??!?? Touchpad bashing, of course.
    HP is honoring the 1 year warranty of the Touchpad, of course they care about the quality of the product.
    Sounds like an opinion of a competitor site. I saw on the news that with the quick fire sale HP quickly surpassed Ipads, not surprising the apple users are a bit mythed and peeved.
    Even if this were all true (which I won't bother taking the time to refute now), an "end-of-life" TouchPad would still be better quality than any other 10" tablet two or three times its clearance price. There's over $300 in parts in each TouchPad, and they don't magically get cheaper or lower-quality if HP decides to stop assembling them into completed devices anymore.

In economic terms, HP is trying to partially offset "sunk costs" - costs that they've already incurred and cannot recover. When they suddenly decided to cease production of TouchPads, they almost certainly got stuck with not only finished, unsold devices (the initial "fire sale" inventory), but the parts already contracted/purchased to produce thousands more in the pipeline. All they're likely doing now is "using up" these parts that they were already stuck with anyway - and getting something out of them rather than writing them off entirely as a loss.

--John
    untitled likes this.
    Highly doubt hp wouldn't put some qa with this new set of touchpads...if they ship faulty products they'll just get returned which would cause an even bigger problem then they have now...
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    This might be true. To save time, maybe they'll let the workers eat their lunch while assembling these TouchPads.
    DrPotoroo likes this.
    The "limited run" may be units that were already in the supply chain. With the inventory overhang prior to the fire-sale, I doubt HP had more 16GB and 32GB Touchpads made. Stock may be limited to whatever is being returned by Costco and other distribution partners. 64GB and 4G units could be available because manufacturing for them was ramping up. The Pre3s destined for AT&T are around somewhere too.
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoxcx View Post
    I saw on the news that with the quick fire sale HP quickly surpassed Ipads, not surprising the apple users are a bit mythed and peeved.
    Apple fanatics, not users. There are many people who use Apple products but are not married to the Apple brand and would just as easily switch to something else if it fits their needs better.
    Sounds like an opinion of a competitor site. I saw on the news that with the quick fire sale HP quickly surpassed Ipads, not surprising the apple users are a bit mythed and peeved.
    Surpassed them at what? Losing money? I know there was a lot of stock hanging around, but I'm pretty sure HP didn't sell through 30M+.
    ogeneo likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Nicoxcx,

With a due respect I am not understanding your comments. Surpassed them at what. I am a big Apple fan and now have become a big WebOS fan but your comments don't ring true to me. Apple has surpassed 40 million in iPad and iPad 2 combined sales. HP hasn't gotten close to that. Now I am pulling for HP and hope that give the WebOS community the TP's they have all ordered but the reason for my original post was to see what others felt about the quality of the next run of TP's. I hope HP makes as many as they can, everyone gets the TP's they ordered and the quality is topnotch. I just don't see this being a iPad versus TP issue. I think we are dealing with the oddest technology situation ever and the rules have changed on expectation thus my original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Surpassed them at what? Losing money? I know there was a lot of stock hanging around, but I'm pretty sure HP didn't sell through 30M+.
    It's amazing to see tons of people here thinks HP is doing amazing job at selling their TouchPad. And some people also think webOS is winning. It's really sad. It's true touchPad is all sold out, but how many do you really think HP made touchPad within month? Probably between 500k to much less than 1 million unit. I doubt even with this number, we are the number 2 in tablet market. Even if TouchPad took the far second place, soon Amazon tablet will take that spot away.
    nappy likes this.
    The post is pure dumb speculation and totally misses the point. I am not a HP ****** (in fact I just received my first HP product) and use Android all the time, so I consider myself mostly unbiased.

But the following quote (emphasis added) reveals, why the complete idea of the post is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    Now that HP "has to" make many more TouchPads and is about to spin off the responsibility for them to some other company or just dump the whole business, it has no reason to be very concerned about the quality or reliability of the product made (and bought by you) .
    HP explained several times, that they will be fully commited to provide the guarantee to their existing customers. They simply can't derogate from their guarantee promise. Additionally, most countries' consumer laws provide for a compulsory warranty of the seller. In Germany, the period for this warranty is 2 years. So regarding all TPs sold by HP directly (and I assume that all now produced TPs will be sold by HP directly) HP will have to provide for a certain warranty (depending on the conutry's laws).

But even IF one wanted to assume that HP would plan to get rid of their Hardware business AND wanted to agree, that the buyer would take over the responsibilty for existing products, HP would be pretty silly to be negligent regarding the manufacturing process. Higher return rates mean higher risks for the buyer - which will lower any offer for HPs hardware sector. These are typical risks considered in M&A due diligences.

And finally: the argumentation is so stupid, I maybe shouldn't have wasted so many arguments about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Even if TouchPad took the far second place, soon Amazon tablet will take that spot away.
    I do think this will probably be the case. Amazon can afford to take a slight loss on the device because they can make up the money by selling content. They've already the got ebooks, mp3, videos and Android app store set-up. Eco-system is there already. All they need is the device.
    that blog is pure garbage
    rstark likes this.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    When you have a product with no margins, the last thing you want to do is lose more money on customer service replacing it over and over again.
    Clearly this person just wants to discourage others from buying TouchPads so he can scoop up as many as possible, then flip them on eBay.
    preak likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast