Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazypinoy9
  1.    #1  
    Hi all- Just opened up my brand-new 32gb touchpad. I turned it on, then without doing anything else I went to settings--system updates. I downloaded the update. It unpacked and verified. I was going to go plug it in before I started the update, and as I'm walking to the other room the screen just starts going crazy (lines and buzzes, nothing readable or recognizable). It turned itself off a moment later. I tried turning it back on, but nothing. I plugged it in and the light under the home button came on, but nothing happened. I did a quick search for hard reset (power and home) and that made it spit out more random garbage on the screen. Now I can turn it on and the backlight comes on but nothing else happens. Does this mean I got a dud? Anyone else have this problem? If so, what can I do to get a new one?
    wow that sucks. Sorry to hear you're having problems. I haven't seen anyone have the same problem you are having but hopefully someone with chime in.

But if you do want to seek out a replacement you would have to contact HP customer service.

Good luck man! I hope you get it all worked out.
    have you tried to doctor it?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Call customer service and hope you can get a reburb before the of the year! Sorry

Sent from my EPIC
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Mines completely dead, came home today and it won't turn on at all, no lights, no response at all so I will be seeing if they can get hold of a replacement for me too

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Good thinking! I would've suggested the same thing but all the shaved ice i'm eating right now causing massive brain freezes. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by vido.ardes View Post
    Mines completely dead, came home today and it won't turn on at all, no lights, no response at all so I will be seeing if they can get hold of a replacement for me too

You tried doing a hard reset?
    74sickness likes this.
    I just posted this on another thread but it may help you.

I've had multiple problems with my week old touchpad, including 3 cracks(one on each speaker, and one the back) and the glass is able to be pressed down on the left side. Just got off the phone with CS and they're doing the advanced replacement option. I refused to pay the 60 dollar charge, which they waived, and they lowered the hold to 100 dollars. They're shipping me out a refurb today. If there are any ****ing problems with this one, i'm just going to have them give me free advanced damage protection, which they offered prior to me haggling with them. If you don't agree to any options they give you, they WILL give you more. Offered free ADP, free case, and I eventually just went with a free refurb.

It's just a shame that a NEW product has these issues, and I'll have to take a refurbished one instead
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    OK, tried using the doctor. I downloaded and installed the doctor, waited until it prompted me to connect the device. When I connected it, my Win7x64 computer says it couldn't install the driver. In the device manager there's an unknown device called "palm". Now I see why "touchpad" was a bad choice for a name (try searching "HP touchpad driver"). Anyone know where I can get the driver? Windows can't find it.
    Have you powered it off, then held the up volume button while trying to turn it back on?
    Quote Originally Posted by vido.ardes View Post

After charging for a few hours try holding the both home button and the power button for 10-15 secs. Same thing happened to me and this got it working.

H
  11.    #11  
    Hmmm. No light comes on when I plug it in (to charge it). I can get the backlight to turn on by holding down the power and home button.

After leaving it on for about a minute, it buzzes and makes a little "bing" sound. I'm not familiar with the sounds it normally makes, but they do sound like normal sounds (like it was turned on or getting a message or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by oemleria View Post
    Hmmm. No light comes on when I plug it in (to charge it). I can get the backlight to turn on by holding down the power and home button.

After leaving it on for about a minute, it buzzes and makes a little "bing" sound. I'm not familiar with the sounds it normally makes, but they do sound like normal sounds (like it was turned on or getting a message or something.

there is no plugged in lights so you are fine there. That could be the starting up sounds. I suggest a doctors well.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    there is no plugged in lights so you are fine there. That could be the starting up sounds. I suggest a doctors well.
    OK. I'd like to try that, but (as I asked before) my PC doesn't recognize the touchpad.

Also, just noticed that when it's "on" the volume up and down buttons beep louder and softer (so it apparently thinks it's working).
  14.    #14  
    OK, spent about 2 hours on chat with HP. Got the computer to recognize the TP (hold vol-UP and connect). Couldn't get it to work with the doctor (the doctor never responds). I think it's working, just the screen isn't getting info (but the backlight comes on and I get some sounds). It is connected to my wifi router (i can see it in the DHCP res list). I have a few questions for those of you with working touchpads:

1) does your TP make a sort of "whoosh" sound when you press the home button?
    2) how do you force the TP to turn off (not reset)? When I hold the power button it either does nothing or it will give a sound and a buzz but won't actually turn off.
    3) how long does it take to turn the TP on, and when it does turn on, what sounds/vibrations does it make?
    4) when the TP finishes charging, does it make a sound or a buzz. (three beeps?)
    5) will the WebOS doctor connect if the TP is turned on or does it have to be turned off?

If anyone could take a video of these things and put it on youtube, that would be even easier to share... (thanks in advance!)
    Last edited by oemleria; 08/31/2011 at 04:22 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Can anyone answer any of the previous questions? I've been chatting with the HP techs all day and I'm pretty sure they have never seen a touchpad before...

Wow. I will never buy an HP product again. Hours and hours of waiting, they make me do the same process over an over again. Finally the guy offers to repair it but says that either it will take several weeks or I have to pay $59. I can't believe it.
    Last edited by oemleria; 08/31/2011 at 06:02 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Well, after hours with HP support I finally got a supervisor to comp me for the $59 restocking. Said she'd have to charge $350 but that would be refunded when I returned the defective one. Also, finally got the WebOS doctor to run by uninstalling and reinstalling java and the doctor, but it didn't fix the blank screen issue (in fact, all it did was bring up the crazy screen junk again). Meh. I'll be back in a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by oemleria View Post
    OK, spent about 2 hours on chat with HP. Got the computer to recognize the TP (hold vol-UP and connect). Couldn't get it to work with the doctor (the doctor never responds). I think it's working, just the screen isn't getting info (but the backlight comes on and I get some sounds). It is connected to my wifi router (i can see it in the DHCP res list). I have a few questions for those of you with working touchpads:

1) does your TP make a sort of "whoosh" sound when you press the home button? No, mine does not.
    2) how do you force the TP to turn off (not reset)? When I hold the power button it either does nothing or it will give a sound and a buzz but won't actually turn off. When I hold power button, one of the options that pops up is power off
    3) how long does it take to turn the TP on, and when it does turn that pops up n, what sounds/vibrations does it make? Takes about 30 seconds or so, but it seems to depend on how long it has been off.
    4) when the TP finishes charging, does it make a sound or a buzz. (three beeps?) not that I noticed
    5) will the WebOS doctor connect if the TP is turned on or does it have to be turned off? Sorry, haven't had to use it.

If anyone could take a video of these things and put it on youtube, that would be even easier to share... (thanks in advance!)
    I hope they ship you another soon, sounds like you did get a bad one for sure.
    Install webOS Quick Install to get the Novacom drivers installed. I had the same problem with Doctor, couldn't load the drivers. After I installed webOS Quick Install, Doctor went through finel.