Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boucles0
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I tried in the following article to adopt a scientific approach to answer these questions about the HP TouchPad overclocking

How overclocking drains battery life ?
    Is it worth downclocking CPU to save battery life ?
    How much % of CPU performance do you get for each CPU frequency ?
    Why did HP choose 1.2 GHz for the touchpad CPU frequency ?

All the answers (translated for french here) :

Battery life VS Overclocking Translated in english

Edito : Autonomie VS Overclocking : le test complet

Cheers !

engreeks1 likes this.
    Very interesting article. Thanks.

I'm OK with 1.5 OC and 9% more battery consumption. I can always switch to default if I see the need to extend battery life.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    Very interesting article. Thanks.

I'm OK with 1.5 OC and 9% more battery consumption. I can always switch to default if I see the need to extend battery life.
    On my touchpad, I'm with the f15C kernel at 1.82 GHz, it really runs webOS fast ! draining 16% much battery, it's worth it
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Very interesting information. There is one area that isn't discussed, however.

Because the system dynamically throttles CPU frequency with load (and can be set to remain the same low 192MHz for idle time), the tablet will see much less of a battery hit than the full load mA draws would indicate. These hits, in fact, would only be present on full load. It would be difficult, but perhaps not impossible, to try and emulate everyday use using multiple settings. (For instance, do 'web browsing', and load a series of pages (the same pages, of course), changing pages every 3 minutes, over, say an hour time frame. Then play a movie for one hour...then play Angry Birds for one hour and finally read a book with the Kindle app for an hour. Compare battery percentage lost from a fully charged touchpad on different frequencies. This would give a better idea of real world battery sacrifice due to increased max frequency. Also, since some tasks will finish faster with the faster processor, it may run with higher current draw during peak load, but will be at peak load for less time, therefore running more or less equal. I'd imagine this will NOT be the case with movies or even games, but could very well be the case with web browsing.
    yea I have the F4 kernel with dual at 1.8 but I am happy to take the battery hit
    One point to make: the intersection of the two straight line regressions is kinda meaningless. However, distance to the origin (which represents infinite performance with zero battery consumption) does seem to represent a measure for performance-consumption that could work. And the point closest to the origin is 1.2GHz.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer