1.    #1  
    Most of the movie files I have are in AVI format, and to my understanding the TouchPad only plays MP4 files.

Any way around this?

I can convert the files on my PC before transferring using Handbrake, but a lot of the quality is lost and it's kind of a pain to do so anyways.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    This is a drive-by reply here since I have very little experience, but try Touchplayer from preware. I tested it a few times and it worked wonders with the .avi I had.
  3.    #3  
    Awesome. It'd be great if this works since pretty much every video file I have is an AVI.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    KalemSoft - Products

KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.7 is the best video player for the TouchPad right now. It has the smoothest playback. The demo version works but won't let you play local files if not connected to the internet.
    I converted an old .MOV file to an MP4 using homebrew (took over 2 hours), moved it to my TP to play it using TOUCHPLAYER. When it is selected, nothing happens. I see the time/play bar but nothing else. I tried two 10 minute MOV files (converted to MP4) and they work fine.

anyone else try a 1 hr video?

Oh, and the 55 min VIDEO file is over 2gb
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3100065
    all my videos are in avi format too, but i have added orb to my pc and am streaming them direct to my hp touchpad wirelessly if that helps anyone for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
    I converted an old .MOV file to an MP4 using homebrew (took over 2 hours), moved it to my TP to play it using TOUCHPLAYER. When it is selected, nothing happens. I see the time/play bar but nothing else. I tried two 10 minute MOV files (converted to MP4) and they work fine.

anyone else try a 1 hr video?

According to anandtech, the Touchpad doesn't play videos over 2GB in size. Not sure if it's a file limitation or os bogging down, but apparently it's known.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I think this is a limitation for local files stored on the TP. I've played 4GB HD movies using Kalemsoft's player and media streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    According to anandtech, the Touchpad doesn't play videos over 2GB in size. Not sure if it's a file limitation or os bogging down, but apparently it's known.
    Players that support other formats often do so by converting in memory rather than exploiting the hardware GPU directly. Thus, performance will not be great. I've bitten the bullet and use Handbrake to convert my DVDs to MP4.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    This is certainly true for Touchplayer. It's a straightforward port of ffplay/ffmpeg and it's set of codecs and is not optimized at all to use the HW accelerators. I believe Kalemsoft DOES use the HW accelerators, though. Touchplayer works ok for non-HD stuff, but will use more power as the CPU is not nearly as efficient as a dedicated GPU. For HD, Kalemsoft is really your only choice outside of transcoding to something the native player can work with. What sucks is that I ripped over 500 DVD's using Handbrake with the Apple Universal setting. This generates H.264 M4V video that I can play on all my iDevices. Unfortunately, it's not quite right for the native TP player and most of my library won't play unless I use Kalemsoft. I can understand HP trying to support the same format's as Apple, but geez, they could have done a better job!

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Players that support other formats often do so by converting in memory rather than exploiting the hardware GPU directly. Thus, performance will not be great. I've bitten the bullet and use Handbrake to convert my DVDs to MP4.