Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveInFL
  1.    #1  
    great value of course, but here are some things that annoy me about the pad.. enlighten me if there is a fix for any of the software issues..

pad wakes/unlocks when plugging in to charge

when browsing a web page, if i hit back to go to previous page the browser will not auto scroll down to where i originally left off

the charging port is slightly off which makes it somewhat difficult to plug in to charge

had to install preware and various patches to get the pad up to speed

headphone volume is not lough enough (haven't tested speaker volume)

had to install a paid app to play movies in different formats other than mp4..

cannot unmount pad when connected to desktop for some reason?

when scrolling down a website i can move the page in any direction, instead of just up and down (small annoyance)

when logged into google reader, i cannot scroll when viewing my expanded unread list
    I share a few of your annoyances.

Quote Originally Posted by prenoobster View Post
    when browsing a web page, if i hit back to go to previous page the browser will not auto scroll down to where i originally left off

the charging port is slightly off which makes it somewhat difficult to plug in to charge
    mine is not, but for some reason it's easy to plug in at times, other times it's an exercise in futility

had to install a paid app to play movies in different formats other than mp4..
    this doesn't really bother me, as I prefer the device not cost extra due to licensing fees

when scrolling down a website i can move the page in any direction, instead of just up and down (small annoyance)
    I agree with the headphone volume and browser troubles.

Seriously, why is it so quiet on the headphones? The speakers are great...
    Touchplayer (free) can play just about any format, and it's available in Preware.
    Haven't tried it yet, although I plan on sticking with .mp4, as it's GPU accelerated.

Had no issues unplugging from my PC, it just says aww, that hurts...but no problem.

The web browser has issues, it's Webkit version dates from late 2009 from what I've read. 2 years old isn't good.

I think the wake upon connection/unplug is by design. My Pre+ wakes when I put it on my TS.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    You're QQ'ing about having to pay for an app?
    The iPad 2 is the same way.

People always want something for free.
    headphone volume is not lough enough (haven't tested speaker volume)

cannot unmount pad when connected to desktop for some reason?
    Did you try installing the "louder volume" patch?

When unmounting, is the Touchpad in "developer mode"?
    There's also a Preware patch to boost the volume. I tried it and it worked great.
    You state that it's a gripe to install some Preware stuff. I'd say be happy that it's easy to do this kind of stuff on the TP and that there are people out there who are making these patches for the benefit of all of us.

The browser defo needs some fixing. There are several issues with it.

To unmount you TP right click on the TP drive letter in your windows explorer and click eject. That works.
    steffej3 likes this.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I've found with unplugging from my PC....when you go to the eject icon in the Windows dock, there are two lines...the top one is eject hardware or something, and below that is the list name for your devices. If you press the top one, windows will act like it's ejecting, but doesn't (aww, that hurts). Click the bottom one "HP Touchpad" and it works fine.
    My headphone volume through my skullcandy headphones is insanely loud. I keep it at 4 bars and sometimes that is even too loud.. Mp4 is inept the best qualities IMHO so I don't mind that, and I sure do love hacking and patching.

My number one gripe is the keyboard, I'm overclocking with tap ripple removed and sensitivity patch and it still lags behind my touch and the autocorrect is not that good, I guess I'm just use to my evo 3d which has a great keyboard.

overall I am very happy with the TP and it brings me back to the days of my pre!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    About the cable issue, agreed the original cable is somewhat difficult and scary to plug in. If you managed to have a blackberry device, just use the blackberry cable, it is a lot easier.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    Touchplayer (free) can play just about any format, and it's available in Preware.
    Haven't tried it yet, although I plan on sticking with .mp4, as it's GPU accelerated.

touchplayer doesn't have visual controls while watching the movie and is choppy..
    mp4 is fine, but i dont have time to convert avi's to mp4 all day
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    I've found with unplugging from my PC....when you go to the eject icon in the Windows dock, there are two lines...the top one is eject hardware or something, and below that is the list name for your devices. If you press the top one, windows will act like it's ejecting, but doesn't (aww, that hurts). Click the bottom one "HP Touchpad" and it works fine.
    my method is to select the windows saftely remove hardware icon.. then find the touchpad..

there is also the novacom driver listed for some reason, but i can't unmount that of course..

not sure if my pad is in developer mode, i thought it just stayed in dev mode once it was "jailbroken"

really agree that the browser needs work.. would fix a lot of issues..
    touchplayer doesn't have visual controls while watching the movie and is choppy..
    mp4 is fine, but i dont have time to convert avi's to mp4 all day
    Why would you want controls up while the video is playing?
    I agree with you on all of these. Some I just find as minor annoyances such as the wake up on plugging in. Its no big deal I mean I just let it wake up because its just going to go back to sleep in 2 minutes. I guess I was just not expecting a tablet to be nearly as refined as say Win7. But android isn't refined either. Maybe if I spent $399 I'd be a bit more peeved.
    actually my biggest gripe is that these threads on this site don't refresh
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    Did you try installing the "louder volume" patch?

This can't be the answer for the average user.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    This can't be the answer for the average user.
    Of course it can.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    There's also a Preware patch to boost the volume. I tried it and it worked great.
    You state that it's a gripe to install some Preware stuff. I'd say be happy that it's easy to do this kind of stuff on the TP and that there are people out there who are making these patches for the benefit of all of us.

The browser defo needs some fixing. There are several issues with it.

To unmount you TP right click on the TP drive letter in your windows explorer and click eject. That works.
    We can be happy that it's possible to easily install preware stuff while also being disappointed it's necessary.
    great value of course, but here are some things that annoy me about the pad.. enlighten me if there is a fix for any of the software issues..

pad wakes/unlocks when plugging in to charge(i think every phone or mp3 player ive owned have done this, so im not sure what the gripe is on that)

when browsing a web page, if i hit back to go to previous page the browser will not auto scroll down to where i originally left off (neither does firefox...you could hold the link down to open a new browser window)

the charging port is slightly off which makes it somewhat difficult to plug in to charge (slightly off, not sure i quite follow)

had to install preware and various patches to get the pad up to speed its definitely faster w/ the tweaks made, but it wasnt that bad

headphone volume is not lough enough (haven't tested speaker volume)i didnt have any issues w/ headphone volume but regular speaker were low, so install the volume increase patch

had to install a paid app to play movies in different formats other than mp4..not all codecs will be utilized all the time, but atleast theres a solution

cannot unmount pad when connected to desktop for some reason?this is a pain in the ****, and i agree completely, only done a successful remove/eject once

when scrolling down a website i can move the page in any direction, instead of just up and down (small annoyance)guess thats a personal preference on that, but doesnt seem to bother me, plus i rarely get the whole browser to move unless i intentionally do

when logged into google reader, i cannot scroll when viewing my expanded unread list
    (dont use)

Touchpad does have its miss comings, but for the post part we seem to figure a way around or improve it...enjoy

***i really need to stop getting distracted when posting....started writing this at 11:15am eastern ***