Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I can't be the only one annoyed with the fact that closing a card is a two step process. Either press the button to minimize and then upswipe to toss out or gesture swipe once to minimize and then upswipe to toss out. Its especially annoying in the browser as I open new cards often when reading forums and blogs and like to read a card and then close it and move to the next one.

"x-ing out" windows has been around since the first apple and windows computers came out. There's a reason every other OS has the feature.... It works and its useful.

Someone make this happen please.

-Tim
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    You might be the only one.

I know I'm fairly critical about webOS and I don't have a problem with this.
    retroblu and blindskater26 like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Two simple gestures are much easier to do than trying to locate a button which could be anywhere on the screen, or hidden in a drop-down menu, or even worse having to navigate to specific screen via multiple exit buttons, like you see on games.

I never use the button, except for the occasional screen capture.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    PrePetikeis and Vistaus like this.
    Here's a thought......and I'm just throwing this out there........why are you closing your cards?

(hint: multi-________)

and there's always that app Clearview that's essentially an invisible card, so you can keep all your cards open, and you put the minimized Clearview card in the center.....and it looks like your wallpaper, with a card on either side.
    Last edited by sledge007; 08/31/2011 at 07:50 AM.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I do think webOS 3 is a step back. In previous versions you could at least switch between open cards quicker with a gesture on the gesture area. Still that is no solution for your obsessive wish to close all cards

Let me tell you, this is even a much more cumbersome workflow on iOS and Android.
    kurt178 likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Let me tell you, this is even a much more cumbersome workflow on iOS and Android.
    LOL, not really as you can't have more than one app open.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Vistaus likes this.
    I think you're the only one. I have no problem at all with how WebOS implements closing cards. No task killer needed here.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    johncc and Vistaus like this.
    I do think webOS 3 is a step back. In previous versions you could at least switch between open cards quicker with a gesture on the gesture area. Still that is no solution for your obsessive wish to close all cards

I'm hoping some of the added functionality in the next update include some tablet equivalent of advanced gestures.
    Biggnaa20 and retroblu like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Install xterm and use "kill PID"
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    spud101 and johncc like this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    LOL, not really as you can't have more than one app open.
    Actually you can (in Android) and sorta can (in iOS). It's the OS there that decides when to kill an app. If you want to exit it yourself you'd have to go over a much more time and tap intensive process.
    kurt178 likes this.

I discovered that a single click just below the minimized card stream on either the left or right side of the screen quickly shifts cards in that direction. So three single taps in that area moves through three cards quickly. Pretty nice.

It depends. You can just long press on the home button to bring up your recently used apps. Some will save state no matter what, others will close out if they go unused and system resources are needed.

On CM7, you can long press the back button to kill an app if you wanted. For the most part, on my phone, I just do my thing. I haven't lamented a task being killed or anything, and that's on my Droid 1 (limited ram, especially so these days).

That's neither here nor there.

Advanced multi-touch gestures would be pretty good. Maybe a two finger swipe to the left or right to switch cards, two finger swipe up to kill a card, I don't know what else would be handy.
    I think not to have to navigate to a specific on screen spot to close an app is one of the powers of webOS. But apart from that, I truly wish we would get back the cards functionality of webos 2.x

Full side wipe to switch to the next or previous open app without card view is strongly missing, I use it all the time on my Pre3.

Closing either the left or right card by upswiping them directly without first selecting them to be the active middle card and close them then. It may be nitpicking, but these little things make so much sense and ease the use of the OS so much more.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    It depends. You can just long press on the home button to bring up your recently used apps. Some will save state no matter what, others will close out if they go unused and system resources are needed.

On CM7, you can long press the back button to kill an app if you wanted. For the most part, on my phone, I just do my thing. I haven't lamented a task being killed or anything, and that's on my Droid 1 (limited ram, especially so these days).

That's neither here nor there.
    Exactly, apart from the auto closing apps, this is a far more time consuming activity than two consecutive up swipes. I (also) speak from experience.
    I agree with the original poster. There is no need for closing an app to be a two step process.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    if you are coming from webOS 2, then sideswiping is greatly missed. For me, its not closing apps that's a pain, but moving between them, or starting up new ones.

if we had some way to switch to another app (I generally have 4-5 open at once), then I'd welcome it.

alan
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Yes, something like a two-finger, side-swipe to switch apps would be a quite welcome patch for 3.0.x
    I agree with the OP. Why not just have a little X in the top corner to close a card? One step > two steps. This is the one thing that's bugged me about the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The main reason we swipe is because it's fun!

To be serious, I find it very annoying having to click on a "Back" button. It's never in the same place, from app to app. Why not a swipe?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_duck View Post
    I agree with the OP. Why not just have a little X in the top corner to close a card? One step > two steps. This is the one thing that's bugged me about the TouchPad.
    Because you'd adjust your sitting position and hit it with your thumb accidentally, thus losing whatever you were working on and then blame webOS for it. But we can mitigate that with one of those "are you sure" dialog boxes...oh wait, that's two things again!
    ronlongo likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast