Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree42Likes
    Had my touchpad for 2 days now, and I originally had the same thought as the OP, but for me the two step process in and of itself isn't the issue, so much as the the button needed to do it. I find pressing the home button to be sort of clumsy and awkward. I kind of wish it was larger or more circular.

Also, the home button to me seems kind wobbly or loose fitting (but I have nothing to compare it against)? Are they all like this?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_duck View Post
    ... Having to swipe the entire TouchPad from the bottom and then swipe it again to get rid of it does not. I was really surprised when I found out this is the only way to close cards....
    can we not see the real problem? you use your touchpad inefficiently. you do NOT need to swipe from the button all the way to the top. you can, but you only have to go up a little bit. a simple short thumb swipe does the job. you dont need to move your hand at all while holding the touchpad.
    Exhnozoaa likes this.
    They want you to swipe up.
    There IS a way to close in one step. I kept doing it unintentionally, but it took me a while to work out what the trick is. Now I've got it: While in an app, swipe up from the bottom as you do to switch to card view, but on your way up lift your finger momentarily and tap it back down again. Card view and app closed in one step! Do it with two fingers to close the app and go to your apps screen in one step.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    There IS a way to close in one step. I kept doing it unintentionally, but it took me a while to work out what the trick is. Now I've got it: While in an app, swipe up from the bottom as you do to switch to card view, but on your way up lift your finger momentarily and tap it back down again. Card view and app closed in one step! Do it with two fingers to close the app and go to your apps screen in one step.
    I can't make this work...
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I can't make this work...
    Me neither.
    Are you able to swipe up to switch to card view? Easiest if you start with your finger off the screen. If you are successfully doing that, maybe my instructions weren't clear. If you want to close the app, continue the swiping motion while you briefly lift your finger off the screen then bring it back down again, still continuing the swipe.

This works consistently for me on stock webOS 3.0.2.
    Are you able to swipe up to switch to card view? Easiest if you start with your finger off the screen. If you are successfully doing that, maybe my instructions weren't clear. If you want to close the app, continue the swiping motion while you briefly lift your finger off the screen then bring it back down again, still continuing the swipe.

Agreed, very easy ... and it doesn't have to be fast etc.

1. Start off-screen at the bottom and swipe up
    2. First try just minimising the card without the double-click

Also, my new number one way of minimising cards without the home button ...

Just swipe up one inch in one motion starting off screen at botton and the card is minimised. Just slightly lift finger off pad at end of small swipe. Very easy. Also, my number one technique for minimising cards ... no more home button.

Good tip
    Last edited by chemaster; 10/02/2011 at 04:36 PM.

If I'm understanding you (and doing it myself) correctly, this isn't a "single swipe" option as requested by the OP - it's still two individual swipes.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    If I'm understanding you (and doing it myself) correctly, this isn't a "single swipe" option as requested by the OP - it's still two individual swipes.
    It doesn't feel like two swipes to me... more like a moving double tap starting from off the bottom of the screen.
    Since this thread has already been bumped, I might as well add my thoughts :P

As kurt178 noted, people seemed to be confused about how to swipe up. I noticed at least two posts in this thread that said that a swipe up requires swiping across the entire screen, which isn't true. If you don't know this, then swiping twice is terribly inefficient. Other people have explained that it only requires a short swipe, starting below the screen, so hopefully other new users will see this.

About the inclusion of a button instead of a gesture area... Previously, I had heard that this was because the hardware was designed before WebOS was acquired. However, I don't think that really makes much sense. Another idea could be that a button is more intuitive for new users than a gesture area. People can't figure out how to get out of an application on my Pixi until I tell them, though the only button on the front of the TouchPad is relatively obvious. One of my friends even managed to figure out that swiping a card up will close it (and she still seems to think that it's an iPad). Another friend played with my phone for about 5 minutes and afterwards forgot that he couldn't swipe up on his Android phone...

I really wish WebOS could have been more successful.
    I like the 2 swipes. Much better than pressing on that home button on iphone/ipad which just kicks you out altogether or the awful long pressing everything on android.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    One step closing of an app is as simple as up-swiping from bezel with 2 fingers(placed vertically adjacent)...
    Am I the only person that actually watched most of the videos in the Help app?? And I've had a Pre- since 2 days after launch, so I didn't really need the instruction, but I wanted to see if there were any new tricks on the Touchpad. I'd like to suggest that everyone RTFM.
    Because how else would you slingshot it!?

Perhaps because it would take up unecessery realestate I think.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345