Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    I have a Nokia N950 running MeeGo Harmattan with the Nokia Swipe UI which allows apps to be closed with a downward swipe. To be honest, after all the fuss and hype over webOS with its swipes and gestures, it's interesting to discover how sparingly they've been used in webOS yet Nokia went to town and have implemented - IMHO - a superior solution. Nokia even got rid of all buttons, which is something HP/Palm could/should also have dispensed with if they really had faith in their swipe UI.

Two swipes to close a card is annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
    I found a gesture solution for me. I read your post and Jared’s about the dual swipe up. But that didn’t work for me *as described* (or lack of description), since I mostly use apps that have something that scrolls when you swipe up.
    So I experimented and this is what works for me to get to the Home screen (equivalent of pressing the Home button), where I can then switch apps or close an app: (Im posting for new users)

1) Touch your finger on the boarder of the Touchpad (the area below where the screen starts), and keep your finger pressed down very lightly.
    2) Swipe upwards quickly (your finger will move up and enter the Touchscreen area),
    then release your finger (after about 1 inch of movement).
    If done correctly, this makes the current app minimize (get smaller) and go to the Home screen.

3) Touch your finger down again (this time on the app card), and swipe up, then release (to close this card - this gesture is in the manual),
    OR swipe to the side to change cards - this gesture is in the manual.

With practice, step 1) and 2) can be done without any pause between touching the finger down, and performing the swipe up action.

Perhaps some of you already knew this, and this is what you meant by the dual swipe up, but I did not see step 1-2 described in the manual or the “Touchpad navigation guide” so I didn’t know what you meant.

The key information that I needed to know (and other new users will likely need), is that this gesture works *more reliably* if your finger starts touching at a location which is OFF the touch screen,
    then move the finger up fast and let go.
    That way if you use an app that scrolls when you swipe up, your finger swipe wont be detected as a scroll, but instead be detected as a gesture to go to the Home screen.

Thank you for productive posts which share information and help new users learn about the TouchPad and webOS.

I think steps 1) - 2) should be better described in the manual or stickied here so more users can be aware of the exact process - with the key information this that gesture works *more reliably* when your finger is not be on the screen when you start touching.
    A fair point - the gestures are only as good as the publicity they get. Coming from a webOS phone, I didn't think twice about playing around with all the gestures I was used to. I remember the Pre came with an introductory video that showed the gestures, and had a tutorial.

The upswipe from the bottom, starting on the bezel, was brought back from what I can recall, HP added a one pixel wide border to pick up that swipe. Contrary to other reports, all it takes is a quick flick across that border to get into card view. Flick up with two fingers and it takes you straight to the launcher.

Have fun with it.....
    fredd0 likes this.
    How about an option to place and hold your finger on an open window? After one second, that would minimize the window and with your finger in the same spot, just flick it up to close.

I wish auto-rotate were mandatory for apps. I like to hold my TP in landscape mode.
    This makes swiping to close an app that opened in portrait orientation only a PITA.
    Last edited by gergev; 09/01/2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    toss a card with a single motion swipe up but tap your finger while doing it. the card will minimize and be discarded. i have been playing with it for about 15 - 20 cards and it works. just start to swipe, lift and lower finger while in the swiping motion.
    strykr_ac likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTpusher View Post
    toss a card with a single motion swipe up but tap your finger while doing it. the card will minimize and be discarded. i have been playing with it for about 15 - 20 cards and it works. just start to swipe, lift and lower finger while in the swiping motion.
    Hey, that works!
    On pages like the app store with tabs on the bottom, I keep opening up a new page however.
    Indeed, a great tip.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Uhhhh, isn't the double-finger swipe to get to the launcher a multi-touch gesture? Maybe you meant 'supports the multi-touch gestures I want'?
    ummm.. no... I meant what I said, cause honestly, I didn't know about this double-finger support.

Learned something new today, kewl.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    One thing I sort of miss is the ability to toss away non-center cards. Previous versions let you toss away cards that were on either side of the 'primary' (center card)...but now you have to make a card front and center to be able to get rid of it.
    hrminer92 likes this.
    I don't understand how the Touchpad doesn't just KNOW when I want to close a card...

That being said, I've been doing this since day 1:
    echan228 likes this.
    There is the preware app "Always show previous and next buttons" by Adblock's Jason R!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    ummm.. no... I meant what I said, cause honestly, I didn't know about this double-finger support.

Learned something new today, kewl.
    I've come to the bitter conclusion that I'm having a really bad day or two. I'm not considering that a lot of the posts here are from people completely new to webOS, and that while I've been keeping up with developments (such as the two-finger swipe) from articles here at PreCentral, a lot of you don't have that benefit.

So, my apologies if I sounded condescending or otherwise unpleasant. I have to stop assuming people know these things. I'm glad that despite this that you learned something new, and I hope you find webOS to be as easy as I do.

The gesture tutorial was nice to have on the Pre, if would be nice to have a TouchPad version. I haven't watched them, so I can't promise they'd help, but there are video clips in the help app that may be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    How about an option to place and hold your finger on an open window? After one second, that would minimize the window and with your finger in the same spot, just flick it up to close.
    That's how to activate the menu along the top of the kindle app.

I wish auto-rotate were mandatory for apps. I like to hold my TP in landscape mode.
    This makes swiping to close an app that opened in portrait orientation only a PITA.
    I agree. I have my TP in landscape mode nearly all the time. The old Mojo apps are the biggest offenders.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i would much prefer a gesture to go back.. different apps have the back arrow on top or bottom and it's sometimes a pita, would be good if you could do a full swipe and it would go back.

although it would be nice having a single gesture to close app as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    Two swipes to close a card is annoying.
    Actually on the phones, you don't need two swipes. A slight 'tap' and a 'swipe' does the job. This is another casualty of HP's unfortunate decision, to do away with the 'gesture' area on the TouchPad. I really would like to know HP's actual logic for this reta*ded decision.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    i would much prefer a gesture to go back.. different apps have the back arrow on top or bottom and it's sometimes a pita, would be good if you could do a full swipe and it would go back.

although it would be nice having a single gesture to close app as well.
    What this guy said. ^^^

And I don't know how you can hate on the swipe to close. If you leave your hand in one spot and just use your finger to swipe up it's easy to do a follow up swipe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The truth is, with android and IOS, for most applications a single tap does NOT close the application, instead it suspends it in the background.

You'll then need to run a task manager to actually close the application.

With webOS, two swipes and it's actually closed and gone from memory.

With the Touchpad, press the button to show a list of your running applications. This is much more useful, than showing pages of all your applications.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    This thread is silly.

As a person that works with Android, iOS, Blackberry OS and now webOS on a daily basis, as well as all three major operating system players (Windows/Apple/Linux), I can honestly say that closing cards on webOS is vasty more intuitive and faster than any other phone OS, even if it does "take two separate gestures."

- Closing an app in Android is a 3-5 step process, depending on the app.
    - iOS is the same.
    - BlackBerry OS apps need to have the sub-menu brought up and you choose "Exit," but the app still doesn't always terminate depending on what it is and you have to use a task killer.
    - In OSX, you have to click once to open the application's menu, then click "Quit [Application]" to fully close it, otherwise it just stops running in active processes and isn't actually closed. Some applications will then generate an "are you sure" message, making this a three-step process.
    - In any browser with tabs on Windows or Linux, closing is a two step process since it will ask you if you're "sure you want to close all tabs."

The fact of the matter is that one-gesture closing for a touch-based OS is a bad idea due to inevitable accidental closing of open applications. I can't believe some of you are seriously whining about flick->flick, it takes less than a second.
    strykr_ac likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I can't be the only one annoyed with the fact that closing a card is a two step process. Either press the button to minimize and then upswipe to toss out or gesture swipe once to minimize and then upswipe to toss out. Its especially annoying in the browser as I open new cards often when reading forums and blogs and like to read a card and then close it and move to the next one.

"x-ing out" windows has been around since the first apple and windows computers came out. There's a reason every other OS has the feature.... It works and its useful.

Someone make this happen please.

-Tim
    The point about not closing the cards is especially pertinent if it sites that you frequent a lot.

I stack those types of sites and leave up for tomorrow..... Repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I really would like to know HP's actual logic for this reta*ded decision.
    My guess is that all of the UI "visionaries" that originally worked on the webOS UI left after HP bought Palm and went to Google and Nokia. Those UI designers that remained at HP were not "strong" enough to bring a phone UI to a device like the Touchpad.

The gesture UI on the Touchpad feels very half-arsed, as though those that were implementing it had very little clue about what design decisions had gone before and the gesture UI feels like it's been hacked onto the Touchpad as a result, rather than being uniquely designed for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mongler View Post
    This thread is silly.

As a person that works with Android, iOS, Blackberry OS and now webOS on a daily basis, as well as all three major operating system players (Windows/Apple/Linux), I can honestly say that closing cards on webOS is vasty more intuitive and faster than any other phone OS, even if it does "take two separate gestures."
    I would make the point that there are so many other gestures that HP could have used that would have allowed single flick closing, but they seem to have implemented a single lame gesture and stopped thinking they could improve on it.

One of the platforms you haven't experienced - Nokia MeeGo Harmattan - has done "swipe" right, probably because the webOS UI designer joined their team as soon as HP bought Palm and I think this now shows in the Touchpad which has really weak and half-arsed "swipe" capabilities by comparison.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast