Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    until webOS supports multi-touch gestures, swipe to minimize, then swipe to close is the most user friendly option.

I think too many people are still trying to shoehorn the way we do things on a desktop, the way we are used to doing things, into the tablet medium.

Things like dropdown menus have limited use in this format. Putting the "X" in the corner could waste screen real estate in a medium where we don't have title bars (tho I suppose they could follow the path taken in the newest Ubuntu release.)

Even after having had my Pre for a couple years now, there are little thing, small differences in 3.0 that even I still am adjusting to.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    1) Wow, why is there so much negativity against the OP for expressing his desire for a faster way to close apps? He is NOT the only one who wants a better way, and for anyone to attack him for his personal preference - is just wrong. You are all entitled to your opinions but calling him lazy or other negative things, does not benefit you or anyone at a public discussion.

I agree with the OP and for me the reason has nothing to do about being lazy. It’s about saving time and streamlining productivity.

For my personal example:
    Sometimes I use my TP on the Touchstone charger. When I touch the TP screen, the charger doesn’t push/ slide backwards. But when I press the Home button, the charger moves backwards a little at a time, due to the amount of force required to make the physical button press in. It’s a small amount of force but still enough to make the charger slide backwards.

I use my left hand to touch the screen; so when I must press the Home button, I have to use my right hand to hold the back of the TP, while pressing with my left-hand finger, to prevent the charger from sliding backwards.
    Or I must switch to using my right hand to press the Home button (with my thumb), while holding the back of the TP with my hand.
    Either way is mixing up my personal way of interacting with the TP and slowing down my productivity.

So it has nothing to do with laziness. And for those of you who don’t use your left hand or don’t use the TP in the way the OP does, I don’t expect you to personally understand. But for you to attack - for his personal preferences and expressing his frustration, is wrong.

2)
    For those who disagree with the OP’s view, you must think of it from the developers’ point of view, (which should be) to keep the consumer happy.
    If there are some consumers who are experiencing frustration with their OS, then those consumers should not be ignored or personally attacked by the devs. Instead, ideas should be thought of to find solutions which keep more consumers happy at once. And sometimes the developers can’t keep all consumers happy at once - with making a certain feature set in stone, and that is why OPTIONS are built into programs.
    It’s OPTIONS which let each person configure programs, which are best for their personal preferences, and it's OPTIONS which make programs better for more people as a whole.

For those of you who attacked the OP’s post, are you really against OPTIONS?
    Are you against the discussion of the reasons for new OPTIONS?
    Are you against a human expressing frustration about something man-made, so that other humans can help find solutions and improvements which prevent frustration, and which increase happiness?

Are we sheep or robots who must CONFORM to everything we are given, or do everything the same?
    Not me, I’m HUMAN and I have different preferences (which is normal for humanity), and I like OPTIONS.
    And new OPTIONS lead to creativity, innovation, and progress in humanity.

If everyone was happy with having a bulky computer which had to stay on a desk,…
    If every mind conformed to the idea that you must go to the computer, instead of the computer going with you,…
    If someone had an idea for a new way of interacting with computers, and everyone attacked him and discouraged him,…
    Then we wouldn’t be where we are today and have the HP TouchPad, which is a mini computer we can carry in our hands and take with us - in a world where life is on-the-go in a new way, unlike before.

3)
    Now each of you think about this,… then you can begin to see: that when there’s disagreements - it means there are different personal preferences - which is an opportunity to create new OPTIONS, which can help unite humanity as a whole when using a device such as the HP TouchPad, while still allowing each human to be unique.

A quick and easy solution for this issue at hand, would be for the webOS developers to add the OPTION of turning on a “x button” on each card, that you touch on the screen, to close an app/ card.
    This would make users like me happy, who want this OPTION. And this would allow others who don’t want the OPTION, to turn it off.

Do we have elitism going on at this forum?
    Perhaps some of you have owned the TouchPad longer and have gotten used to it, and have CONFORMED to how you must interact with it.
    But when new users with fresh minds come here and express ideas which can lead to new OPTIONS, and which can benefit the community as a whole, then it’s not wise to criticize such differences in humanity, which can benefit each of you when new solutions are found and created.

The Firesale and the increase in TouchPad users, was one of the best things to happen here recently, because it breathed new life into the TouchPad/ webOS and increased the amount of minds focused on one thing.

4)
    If anyone is still holding on to old ways of thinking, then think of this:
    There was a demand for portable, touchable computers. This demand increased, which lead to the creation of the TouchPad.

And now there is a demand for faster and easier ways to multitask (in this case, closing apps).
    The demand isn’t going to go away, even though there are some users who don’t contribute to the “quantity” of this demand.
    The real issue is, who is going to supply this demand first or in the best way? TouchPad, iPad, etc?

Each of you invested money in your TouchPad. Don’t you want your investment to be the best?
    Don’t you want the TouchPad to have the best features and greater OPTIONS which make you personally happy, while also making more users happy - as a whole?
    It’s a common sense answer: Yes, with more users happy as a whole, it establishes a stronger and healthier community, where health is measured in terms of updates, innovation and OPTIONS - or in other words: the lifespan of webOS on the Touchpad.

We can either have a product that improves and grows, or we can have a product that becomes stagnate and dies.
    And from here on, each of you can make a better choice to consciously contribute to improvement and growth - by making positive posts at this forum, which support ideas for new OPTIONS and inspire the developers to invest time and money into creating what our minds desire.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Dumped rude quote
    secondclaw likes this.
    Am I wrong? Or in order to close a card don't you have to first either press the button or swipe the entire screen? And then you do the upswipe to toss it off the screen?

Yeah, it's annoying.
    edit: I don't want to sound like I'm being snippy or snarky or anything. I just meant that there are going to be flaws, just like there are in Android and iOS that people will point out. The general public, for whatever reason, failed to latch on to webOS the way they did iOS and Android. So, we can all agree to disagree, and maybe if someone makes a valid point that we all agree with, the community at large can work on a solution.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Dumped rude quote and response
    I'm pretty sure he was kidding...
    I'm being realistic here, you won't find a dev who will put an "x" button on for you.
    thank you, have a good evening..
    "Humanity wasn't ready for WebOS"

Pre - uk day 1
    Pre + uk Replacement
    HP Touchpad 16 GB Day 1
    HP Pre 3 Vodafone
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I can't believe people are complaining about closing apps being a two step process. Leave your apps open.

If closing apps were a 1-step process, there would be a lot of accidentally closed apps. How many times have you gone into card view on accident.

i would like to see a 1 step process to minimize the app from the app itself. currently i use the button or the bottom swipe. but a closer option would be more efficient for my use
    its one of those things too obvious for the webOS team I guess.
    Why can't they just make it close the app when we swipe down? I also hate this two-step process.
    ap3604 and Furuboru like this.
    Okay, folks, it's getting a little heated in here, and for no good reason. Let's keep it polite and civil, and give each other the respect due to all.

For my part, I think there's an overall webOS philosophy that would be somewhat violated by a single-swipe close or a single-button close. An option would be okay, I guess, but options also cost money.

I don't frown on new users who don't like the webOS philosophy, but I think you have to live with it for a while to get it. Most people who have purchased webOS devices (myself included) have strongly considered returning them for the first couple of weeks and then fallen madly in love with them after that.

So I say come back in a week or so and see how you feel then. You might find that you like it the way it is.
    MobileBill23 and strykr_ac like this.
    Holy........................this thread is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTF LOL

You guys really need to lighten up and find something better to argue about..

@bearded.... I was kidding. Trust me I've had a Pre-, and am FULLY AWARE of it's flaws!

unlike our American counterparts, just so you know, when you lock into a contract in Canada, THIS is how it goes::

14 day trial period, 30 minutes of talk time....go over ....no returns & no exceptions.

We also do NOT get the luxury of a $35 restocking fee because "I don't like my phone anymore."

We ALSO do not get free upgrades every year. Got my Pre in January 2010, I'm eligible for an upgrade in August 2012....and I pay my bill on time.

Sucks to be us, I know, but after having to put up with the Pre- for so long, which incidentally if it weren't for webOS Internals, the Homebrew Crew.....would have been smashed into little itty bitty pieces, many times over.

For me, the TouchPad has (even with recent events) been a godsend. I'm no Palm lifer by any means, I just REALLY like my TouchPad.

now carry on the rest of you, fighting like 8 year olds........I'm grabbing some popcorn.
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoz- View Post
    Why can't they just make it close the app when we swipe down? I also hate this two-step process.
    I'll buy your TP now for firesale prices and rid you of this annoyance. Same goes for anyone else who is so troubled. Be free of two flicks of your thumb tomorrow courtesy of me.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    As an ipad and touchpad owner, i don't know *** you're talking about.

In webos it's a dual upswipe, I can do that without repositioning my hands as it's all gesture based.

On my ipad, I have to go to the home screen (home button), then either hold the home button (long hold), or double tap it to bring up the not even close to equivolent version of cards (just icons of open apps). Then to actually close one out, I need to long hold again on one of the icons, then click little X's that appear.

Closing multiple apps in WebOS is as easy as gesture upswipe, then upswipe for every app I want to close.

-Jared
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    On CM7, you can long press the back button to kill an app if you wanted.
    Does that mean you can't bring up the keyboard manually anymore? Or is there a pop-up option box like it goes for the search button (when you hold it down long enough)?

Quote Originally Posted by chaoz- View Post
    This is a great idea! Or, to REALLY make sure that you want to close the app, make it do the Angry Birds slingshot sound as you pull the app down and when you reach halfway down the screen, it closes the app when you let go (and hear the wheeeee as the card shoots all the way through the top!) or if you bring it back up, it won't close.

Or maybe the app could go into card view size to REALLY let you know that you've activated the close-app gesture (and lets the TP render it better/smoother), then continue with the whole scenario above. Plus, if you pull it down to almost touch the bottom bezel, some feathers would fly out when you let go.

Yeah, that would brighten my day

Then again, as new users will come to realize, we ALL have a lot of opinions on how to do things better on this platform. But unless you can do something about it, we'll just dream for now.
    Last edited by Furuboru; 08/31/2011 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
    1) Wow, why is there so much negativity against the OP for expressing his desire for a faster way to close apps? He is NOT the only one who wants a better way, and for anyone to attack him for his personal preference - is just wrong. You are all entitled to your opinions but calling him lazy or other negative things, does not benefit you or anyone at a public discussion.

{Snipped for brevity}

We can either have a product that improves and grows, or we can have a product that becomes stagnate and dies.
    And from here on, each of you can make a better choice to consciously contribute to improvement and growth - by making positive posts at this forum, which support ideas for new OPTIONS and inspire the developers to invest time and money into creating what our minds desire.

Ok, to counter all that I've got a wonderfully succinct observation:

I can flick up, then flick up in about one second (just did so as I closed my email app). How much faster than that do you want to close an app?
    Quote Originally Posted by rghilliard View Post
    I can't believe the backlash because someone would dare say they didn't like something about WebOS. The simple fact is that most people who now own this tablet own it because of the fire sale, not because of WebOS or some animosity toward Apple. Like any other OS, it has things that people won't like. Can you imagine the outrage if Microsoft changed Windows to add an extra step to close a window?

No one is saying it's a lot of effort, it just seems like a pointless step and not at all intuitive for Grandma, etc.
    It's because gestures go to the heart of what makes webOS. (And don't take that to mean I think the OP deserves any **** - he doesn't.)

The OP obviously just doesn't get it right now. I can guarantee you that while using my tablet my hand will almost always be perfectly positioned to double swipe and accomplish that in about a second. We're really picking at nits if you think that a few milliseconds can be gained (and in fact, I'd argue that having to hit a close button would actually take more time) by 'pressing X to close'.

I could see the point about having the 'Pad on the charger, not sure if a keyboard was involved - I don't have one and if I'm doing anything I'm holding my 'Pad.

I think someone else mentioned it here, people are stuck in a desktop mentality - you have to use it for a while to see how much better webOS really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I have an obssesion to close unused cards because it saves battery.
    You may actually use more battery opening and closing cards than you would just leaving them open, depending on the app. 3D games probably would save you battery by closing them. Some apps also use the data connection from time to time, so you'd benefit by closing them. But a lot of apps are pretty static unless you're doing something with them.

Memory is the bigger impact of leaving cards open. Web pages are gigantic memory hogs, as are 3D games.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    until webOS supports multi-touch gestures, swipe to minimize, then swipe to close is the most user friendly option.
    Uhhhh, isn't the double-finger swipe to get to the launcher a multi-touch gesture? Maybe you meant 'supports the multi-touch gestures I want'?
    <<Thread cleansed, with a wire brush>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Ok, to counter all that I've got a wonderfully succinct observation:

I can flick up, then flick up in about one second (just did so as I closed my email app). How much faster than that do you want to close an app?
    I found a gesture solution for me. I read your post and Jared’s about the dual swipe up. But that didn’t work for me *as described* (or lack of description), since I mostly use apps that have something that scrolls when you swipe up.
    So I experimented and this is what works for me to get to the Home screen (equivalent of pressing the Home button), where I can then switch apps or close an app: (Im posting for new users)

1) Touch your finger on the boarder of the Touchpad (the area below where the screen starts), and keep your finger pressed down very lightly.
    2) Swipe upwards quickly (your finger will move up and enter the Touchscreen area),
    then release your finger (after about 1 inch of movement).
    If done correctly, this makes the current app minimize (get smaller) and go to the Home screen.

3) Touch your finger down again (this time on the app card), and swipe up, then release (to close this card - this gesture is in the manual),
    OR swipe to the side to change cards - this gesture is in the manual.

With practice, step 1) and 2) can be done without any pause between touching the finger down, and performing the swipe up action.

Perhaps some of you already knew this, and this is what you meant by the dual swipe up, but I did not see step 1-2 described in the manual or the “Touchpad navigation guide” so I didn’t know what you meant.

The key information that I needed to know (and other new users will likely need), is that this gesture works *more reliably* if your finger starts touching at a location which is OFF the touch screen,
    then move the finger up fast and let go.
    That way if you use an app that scrolls when you swipe up, your finger swipe wont be detected as a scroll, but instead be detected as a gesture to go to the Home screen.

Thank you for productive posts which share information and help new users learn about the TouchPad and webOS.

I think steps 1) - 2) should be better described in the manual or stickied here so more users can be aware of the exact process - with the key information this that gesture works *more reliably* when your finger is not be on the screen when you start touching.
    Last edited by ken3; 08/31/2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Exhnozoaa likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast