Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rghilliard View Post
    I agree with the original poster. There is no need for closing an app to be a two step process.
    Try using an iPad. Click home to make it go away....but it isn't really gone. In order to really shut it down you need to then click home twice, hold your finger on the app until it starts wiggling, then press the X. Believe me, there are a lot of things better about the iPad but shutting things down is not one of them. The TP is much simpler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Because you'd adjust your sitting position and hit it with your thumb accidentally, thus losing whatever you were working on and then blame webOS for it. But we can mitigate that with one of those "are you sure" dialog boxes...oh wait, that's two things again!
    I don't think adjusting my sitting position and hitting it accidentally would ever happen. But if it did, why not make it drop-down menu at the top of the screen with a "Close Card" option? Two simple taps sounds good to me. Having to swipe the entire TouchPad from the bottom and then swipe it again to get rid of it does not. I was really surprised when I found out this is the only way to close cards.

I can see this feature not being a problem at all on smartphones since those screens are so small... but it's just annoying on the tablet.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I upswipe with my right thumb.

Drop-down menu? Isn't it time for that paradigm to finally die on tablets?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Toning down the sarcasm a bit
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I can't believe people are complaining about closing apps being a two step process. Leave your apps open.

If closing apps were a 1-step process, there would be a lot of accidentally closed apps. How many times have you gone into card view on accident.

Clicking the home button minimizes the apps just like on iOS. Closing from there on webOS is 1 step - swipe up. On iOS it is 4 - tap, tap, press and hold, tap. A minimzed card is essentially the same thing as iOS's double tap list (except you can see the app, instead of an icon).

I'm not saying webOS 3.0 is perfect. I prefer 1.4.5 where you can tap below a minimized card and go into the birds-eye view and see all of your open apps. Almost as good as Meego on the N9 in that respect.
    I upswipe with my right thumb.

Drop-down menu? Isn't it time for that paradigm to finally die on tablets?
    Yeah, you barely have to swipe. Though, I'd like to see someone swiping the length of the screen on a regular basis.

Don't we need drop-down menus? You know, for preferences and such?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Modified quote
    strykr_ac likes this.
    I wouldn't mind a three finger upswipe to close an app. It would make sense with the other two upswipe gestures already on the TP.

1 finger- minimize to card view, bring up launcher
    2 finger- bring up launcher when in full card view
    3 finger- close card
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Here's a thought......and I'm just throwing this out there........why are you closing your cards?
    I'm in favour of what the OP proposes. multitouch gestures could easily allow for this--a two-finger swipe downwards or sideways perhaps.

My normal browsing workflow on a normal computer is to open a bunch of tabs in firefox (in the background, so it doesn't take focus away from the current tab), then close them when I'm done with them.

I dislike the fact that in the webOS browser opening a link in a new card takes focus away from the current card. I also dislike the fact that the new card doesn't render in the background.
    I have an obssesion to close unused cards because it saves battery.
    gscharp likes this.
    Well it's either complain that we don't have close on a swipe or everyone "accidently" closing their apps and not knowing why... I think with the lack of a gesture area they simply decided to make this a "are you sure" operation.
    Yes, something like a two-finger, side-swipe to switch apps would be a quite welcome patch for 3.0.x
    This is what the rumored new IOS is getting.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    I dislike the fact that in the webOS browser opening a link in a new card takes focus away from the current card. I also dislike the fact that the new card doesn't render in the background.
    Advanced Browser has tabs.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    strykr_ac likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I can't believe people are complaining about closing apps being a two step process. Leave your apps open.
    People are just getting way too picky these days. They're getting too spoiled in technology for their own good.

This is why the terminators are gonna overrun us on judgement day...
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Here's a thought......and I'm just throwing this out there........why are you closing your cards?
    I think its hardwired into our 'Windows' brain lol
    I close cards all the time. I know I don't have too. I don't really see the problem, it's personal preference really- but if I'm not using it- I close it out, much like I'd close the refrigerator when I'm done with it. Either way, closing apps is really easy on Web OS. What people don't realize is you can close apps from the home screen anytime you want. You don't have to sift through a menu, these gesture swipes are almost always available to you (if you are in fullscreen flash video they don't work- though you can hit the home button). This is a step up from any other mobile platform in my opinion.
    Firesale buyers are probably the best thing that's happened to precentral.net (increased membership, pageviews, etc.)

Don't be so defensive about webOS that you can't rationally discuss the pros and cons to interface tweaks.

What people don't realize is you can close apps from the home screen anytime you want. You don't have to sift through a menu, these gesture swipes are almost always available to you (if you are in fullscreen flash video they don't work- though you can hit the home button).
    I thought this was a good point.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Dumped rude quote
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePetikeis View Post
    <<Kinda rude statements>>
    Something clearly isn't working right if it's failling to gain any traction in the marketplace.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Wait, I got it! Without swiping to quit, you wouldn't be able to do the Angry Birds easter-egg quit!
    strykr_ac likes this.
    I can't believe the backlash because someone would dare say they didn't like something about WebOS. The simple fact is that most people who now own this tablet own it because of the fire sale, not because of WebOS or some animosity toward Apple. Like any other OS, it has things that people won't like. Can you imagine the outrage if Microsoft changed Windows to add an extra step to close a window?

No one is saying it's a lot of effort, it just seems like a pointless step and not at all intuitive for Grandma, etc.
    People complained about not having screen real estate taken up by back/forward buttons when there wasn't a gesture area. They would certainly complain about having more of it taken up by minimize and close buttons (because you know someone is going to want to tap on a control instead of swiping under the guise that it saves time). It's part of the UI, so just get used to it.
    As a new fire-sale first-time WebOS user, I do kinda like the card toss functionality - it really is very intuitive. I also keep hearing that I should just leave the cards running, however after I got a 'too many cards' error once, I stopped that experiment. I think WebOS would be served better with having a single gesture (2-finger or whatever) to close cards quickly.

There are many problems in WebOS, as are some really nice features, and it really needs a lot more work.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast