Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by greyMACHINE View Post
    The only problem I have with the button is that every time I am on my iPod now, after pressing the home button I try to flick apps off my screen. The similarity confuses me and webOS multitasking is just so much more natural feeling.
    Totally agree on the latter. I went down the isle at the local Best Buy earlier looking for TP accessories and decided to look at the current state of other tablets. After getting used to the gestures of webOS on both my phone over the last year and a half and now the Touchpad, the only tablet that came close to feeling usable (from a UI/UX standpoint) was the RIM Playbook.
    I personally love the home button.....
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by greyMACHINE View Post
    The only problem I have with the button is that every time I am on my iPod now, after pressing the home button I try to flick apps off my screen. The similarity confuses me and webOS multitasking is just so much more natural feeling.
    Hah!

Me too. Shame the Pre3 is dead because I'm constantly throwing inappropriate gestures at my Android phone and making a mess of things. Nice to know I'm not the only one.
    At first there were no gestures at all in the Touchpad design so you had to use the button. Then they introduced it the up-swipe and by that time, the physical button was firmly in place. Since they did give us the button, I wish it was bigger and circular, which would be easier to press but then, that would be exactly like ipad...

My pre- has the physical button which was omitted from pre+. I used the button quite extensively until I accidently discovered the up-swipe (like most, I never read the manual). Gestures is awesome... I just wish TP could've implemented it too in complete form like the phone.

But then again, what's the big deal about having the button?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I completely agree that a tutorial on gestures (in particular) would be so helpful. I received my TouchPad last night, but was to sick to use it much, and am looking forward to this evening. From what i've seen so far, i'm surprised how much more elegant webOS is than iOS - contrary to what "they" try to tell us.

And yes, i'm a Mac owner, Android user (love my phone) and completely entranced with webOS... it's much more fun to branch out and try new things.

maclifer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
    Apple iPad/iPad2 is the industry standard with over 27 million units SOLD, not just shipped. Gestures like swiping up are nice, but not intuitive to new webOS users, while the button is. I hope whoever buys Palm looks at Apple and copies their best features.
    apple sells a lot of products despite the fact that their ui sucks. Nothing to copy there

There are plenty of women who can sing better than rhianna who never made a dime
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    apple sells a lot of products despite the fact that their ui sucks. Nothing to copy there

There are plenty of women who can sing better than rhianna who never made a dime
    That's a great sentiment - one that has resulted in a dead platform, no future hardware and nobody interested in taking on the OS. Successful businesses try and emulate or outdo their competition not say "maybe if we avoid the things that make them successful we can firesale our products at a $200 lose!".
    beardedspoooon likes this.
    The home button is genius and is not a blemish.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Tell me you're joking or trolling.
    Last edited by tarbo; 09/02/2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post
    Wow. I use the button every time to exit apps. This thing would have been nice if it came with a manual. Guess it's time to download it from the web because I have no idea what people mean with the double swipe up to exit. I really know NOTHING about webos and there's so many things to learn after coming off from IOS.
    If your TP came in retail packaging, it did come with a manual. There is a small packet in a depression below where the TP was in the box that contains two manuals (get started and a gestures overview if I recall correctly) and a cleaning cloth.

It is a shame that the TP hardware is not webOS optimized. I've had the Pre2 for less than a year and dread the idea of moving onto a phone without the gesture area. Great thought/design went into the gesture area and gestures, shame to lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbo View Post
    The home button is genius and is not a blemish.

Tell me you're joking or trolling.
    No I am not joking. My treo had a home button, and and a touchscreen and clickable icons way before jobs and his iphone. The serious thing they did was to improve web browsing especially with the pinch to zoom.

and I heard that the top bar in ios does nothing, is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by nitens View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is wondering why the heck the touchpad has a button the front? I've had mine for over a week now and I haven't used it once. The elegant swipe up from the bottom gesture in webOS is far better IMO.

Is this a case off apple try handedness/bone headed design? Or is there some purpose to this blemish on the front of my pad that I haven't realised?

</rant>
    The only way to get out of a full screen flash video is to use the button.
    I don't get the hate for the button, honestly, and coming from a Palm Pre the button seems perfectly natural.
    Coming from using an original Pre, what I really hate is that the shapes on the face of the touchpad are upside-down.

On the Pre, you get the long rounded bar at the top (ear speaker) and the circle at the bottom (button), but on the touchpad, the circle is at the top (camera) and the long rounded bar is at the bottom (button).

For the first week or so I have having huge problems holding the thing upside down, using those familiar shapes as a reference.
    the button on the touchpad doesn't bother me that much. It did on the pre because it got in the way of advanced gestures, had to do kinda half circle.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123