Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrak View Post
    Speaking of which, has anyone thought about the fact that it is going to be rather difficult to navigate android without the presence of physical buttons? Everyone is so excited for the port but I have yet to figure out how you will be able to navigate it.
    The current Android port will probably just be proof of concept and a placeholder until Honeycomb is available. Honeycomb has soft buttons in the UI.
    Wished they design the button so that it is more distinguishable. I kept on pressing the camera instead since in low light it's hard to tell which is the button side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spybreak View Post
    It helps people that are unfamiliar with WebOS navigate the system. The swipe up gesture isn't immediately clear to anyone that hasn't ever used WebOS and there is nothing funnier than watching someone try to use a Blackberry Playbook for the first time and sit there wondering how the hell do they access the app list or get out of the open app.

The button makes the TP a lot more accesible and also functions as a notification light. Use it or not, I have no problems with it and I think it improves the product.
    I agree with the Playbook comment. Everytime I want to play with it at BestBuy, I put it back down after 20 seconds because I still can't figure it out. So how do you do it?
    Just as another data point, the color Nook eBook reader also has a physical "home" button in the same place as the Touchpad and iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The current Android port will probably just be proof of concept and a placeholder until Honeycomb is available. Honeycomb has soft buttons in the UI.
    Ahh thank you for the explanation. I have been curious about that ever since I heard people were trying to port it over. I have an android phone and in some apps the only way to go back is with the physical back button.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguy88 View Post
    The two finger swipe up also works in the touchpad.

If you need to bring up the launcher while in an app, instead of doing two "swipe up", do a two finger swipe up and it will minimize the card and bring up the launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by looktall View Post
    two finger swipes work when navigating through the launcher as well.
    ie. get from apps to favourites by swiping two fingers.
    I do that with one finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitens View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is wondering why the heck the touchpad has a button the front? I've had mine for over a week now and I haven't used it once. The elegant swipe up from the bottom gesture in webOS is far better IMO.

Is this a case off apple try handedness/bone headed design? Or is there some purpose to this blemish on the front of my pad that I haven't realised?

</rant>
    Good GOD! what is wrong with people these days. Are we just trying to find things to nit pick on now?

I hate to say this but you bought a very nice tablet for $99/$150...stop B*******. I think I'm might just view these forums just for the sole purpose of laughing at people.

Way to go with your first post homie!
    laoh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I agree with the Playbook comment. Everytime I want to play with it at BestBuy, I put it back down after 20 seconds because I still can't figure it out. So how do you do it?
    The playbook uses the same gestures as the Touchpad. Swipe up to minimize the app/show the launcher. Swipe up on the "card" to toss the app away, etc...

What's really annoying is trying that on the Asus Android tablet and it not doing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
    Good GOD! what is wrong with people these days. Are we just trying to find things to nit pick on now?
    so what? just because we got the deal of the century we're not allowed to discuss the touchpad?

are we all supposed to heap praise upon it without discussing the flaws?

not that having a physical button is a flaw. just an unusual choice.
    nitens, milhouse and KCTraveler like this.
  10.    #30  

I hate to say this but you bought a very nice tablet for $99/$150...stop B*******. I think I'm might just view these forums just for the sole purpose of laughing at people.

Way to go with your first post homie!
    Mate,

It was late last night and I was a little confused by the presence of the button. As far as I could tell it wasn't needed given the gestures in WebOS. I must admit I'm stoked with the tablet in every way, and I was really just trying to work out if there was some other function for the button that I was missing. By the looks of the replies there are a couple (gesture fails and screenshots which I wasn't aware of).

In addition, as far as I can tell, there is some backlighting on the button, and this doesn't even let you know that the device is charging when it is powered off, so you're kind of left wondering...

After using this budget score I'm just a little disappointed, probably like many others, in the hardware support webOS has received. I cannot complain about the touchpad as a $150 device in any way shape or form, but you need to keep in mind HP was originally planning on dropping this at iPad prices.

This OS looks the goods and could compete if it was a little more polished (ie standard back command positioning). Also, given you're working with a slab of touch screen there isn't a lot of scope for differentiating design too much, and to me dropping the button before apple does could have been an option.

Like I said in my first post... Just my opinions dude, and it's easier to get a reply if you sensationalise things a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by looktall View Post
    so what? just because we got the deal of the century we're not allowed to discuss the touchpad?

are we all supposed to heap praise upon it without discussing the flaws?

not that having a physical button is a flaw. just an unusual choice.
    So enlighten me then. Tell me exactly where I said that discussing flaws was a bad thing? The OP didn't post a possible flaw that we could all discuss and provide some options of working around. It was a complaint(at least at the time because he has clarified his intentions). Plain and simple. I'm all for people discussing any possible (or reasonable) improvements to the TP. I welcome it.

Mate,

It was late last night and I was a little confused by the presence of the button. As far as I could tell it wasn't needed given the gestures in WebOS. I must admit I'm stoked with the tablet in every way, and I was really just trying to work out if there was some other function for the button that I was missing. By the looks of the replies there are a couple (gesture fails and screenshots which I wasn't aware of).

In addition, as far as I can tell, there is some backlighting on the button, and this doesn't even let you know that the device is charging when it is powered off, so you're kind of left wondering...

After using this budget score I'm just a little disappointed, probably like many others, in the hardware support webOS has received. I cannot complain about the touchpad as a $150 device in any way shape or form, but you need to keep in mind HP was originally planning on dropping this at iPad prices.

This OS looks the goods and could compete if it was a little more polished (ie standard back command positioning). Also, given you're working with a slab of touch screen there isn't a lot of scope for differentiating design too much, and to me dropping the button before apple does could have been an option.

Like I said in my first post... Just my opinions dude, and it's easier to get a reply if you sensationalise things a little.
    To be honest man, what I said wasn't necessarily directed at you. So I apologize. I bought my TP during the firesale just like many who have joined this awesome forum since then. But I've been seeing more and more people complaining about such minor things everyday and it's starting to get to me.

It wasn't really late when I had posted what I did, but playing against a multitude of boosters in call of duty last night left me in a bad mood and your post just so happend to be the first thread I clicked on. HAHAHA
    Last edited by Crazypinoy9; 08/31/2011 at 06:47 PM.
    WebOS noob here. Where can I find more info about these gestures? I use the button all the time I tried the swipe from bottom to top, but nothing happens. What am I missing??
    Quote Originally Posted by whadzinaname View Post
    WebOS noob here. Where can I find more info about these gestures? I use the button all the time I tried the swipe from bottom to top, but nothing happens. What am I missing??
    On your TP, go to Settings then Help and read the Tips and watch the Clips.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpierson View Post
    .. What I think is strange is how webos seems to "hide" some of the best features of the OS... once you powered it on it should have popped up a tutorial on how to use gestures...
    Being new to webOS, I agree 100%...A little hint/tutorial session would have been great. Actually went and pulled out the documentation on these gestures to figure it out..after that, I fell in love..

As far as the need for a button, I am not sure how much I actually use it, or need it. I know android is moving in the direction of no buttons and it works out well with the new honeycomb tabs. But I do really appreciate the button because it allows me to quickly determine which side the charging port is on lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpierson View Post
    once you powered it on it should have popped up a tutorial on how to use gestures...
    i missed this post earlier.

did you not get any leaflets in the box your TP came in giving instructions on how to navigate around the TP?

that's how i discovered gestures.

So enlighten me then. Tell me exactly where I said that discussing flaws was a bad thing? The OP didn't post a possible flaw that we could all discuss and provide some options of working around. It was a complaint(at least at the time because he has clarified his intentions). Plain and simple. I'm all for people discussing any possible (or reasonable) improvements to the TP. I welcome it.
    it's no big deal. i just misunderstood what you were saying.
    crazypinoy9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    anyone else .. wondering why the heck the touchpad has a button the front?
    Apple iPad/iPad2 is the industry standard with over 27 million units SOLD, not just shipped. Gestures like swiping up are nice, but not intuitive to new webOS users, while the button is. I hope whoever buys Palm looks at Apple and copies their best features.
    Wow. I use the button every time to exit apps. This thing would have been nice if it came with a manual. Guess it's time to download it from the web because I have no idea what people mean with the double swipe up to exit. I really know NOTHING about webos and there's so many things to learn after coming off from IOS.
    Last edited by suikostinger; 08/31/2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I have a couple apps that don't seem to respond to bottom swiping so a "hard" means of going back to the card view is appreciated. I never thought of it as a blemish.
    yup, we need the button for that reason even if the design is just terrible
    The only problem I have with the button is that every time I am on my iPod now, after pressing the home button I try to flick apps off my screen. The similarity confuses me and webOS multitasking is just so much more natural feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spybreak View Post
    It helps people that are unfamiliar with WebOS navigate the system. The swipe up gesture isn't immediately clear to anyone that hasn't ever used WebOS and there is nothing funnier than watching someone try to use a Blackberry Playbook for the first time and sit there wondering how the hell do they access the app list or get out of the open app.

The button makes the TP a lot more accesible and also functions as a notification light. Use it or not, I have no problems with it and I think it improves the product.
    This.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast