Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  1.    #1  
    I am very lucky to say I have a TP for my wife and one for me. Mine will soon have the HP branded case while my wife's is in a much bulkier padded leather case. I also have the Touchstone which does indeed charge my wife's TP through the case but it gets really hot so here are my questions:

1) My wife does not want to remove her TP from the case each time she needs to charge so with the Touchstone creating so much heat while the TP is in the padded leather case I think her only option is to use the USB port to charge the TP. What are your thoughts on the build quality of the USB port. Can the port withstand being charged once every other day? I do own a IPAD 2 and never have been concerned regarding the 30 pin port but I have read a few posts that some believe that the USB mini port on the TP is it's weak point.

Curious your thoughts?

Thanks for the input!!!
    Agree it is a weak point. If you always make sure the silver dot on the supplied cord is facing you when you plug it in, it should not be a problem. My 7 year old daughter has a hand me down Pre- (not activated on cellular) and has no issues plugging in the charger daily for over a year and nothing wrong with the charge port.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Agree it is a weak point. If you always make sure the silver dot on the supplied cord is facing you when you plug it in, it should not be a problem. My 7 year old daughter has a hand me down Pre- (not activated on cellular) and has no issues plugging in the charger daily for over a year and nothing wrong with the charge port.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you also agree that the heat buildup using the touchstone with the padded leather case is a no no. Better to just use the usb charger directly?
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do you also agree that the heat buildup using the touchstone with the padded leather case is a no no. Better to just use the usb charger directly?
    It depends how hot it is getting. Have you measured the temperature? Is it too hot to hold? Does it get hotter charging for three hours versus one? If the heat is so hot that you feel you can't touch it or place your hand on it and hold for a minute, then I wouldn't use the Touchstone. If its just warm and the temp does not increase with time, I would think it is fine. I have the stock case and never found it warm to the touch. If you are really concerned, dump the leather case and make her use the stock one.
    Installing Govnah (via preware) would give the battery temperature, and even record a history of temperature while it is charging.
    USB port works fine, been using it on my Pre now for over 2 years with no issues. Its fine to charge the TouchPad while the case is on, been charging it for almost 2 months now and have never removed the HP case so relax and enjoy your new TouchPad.
    sledge007 likes this.