1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Managed to get skype working on my nice new TP, however, I regularly call the folks using skypeout - i.e. I'm resident in NZ, and call the folks in the UK through skype - skype handles the call through to the UK, and breaks out into the local phone system there - so the cost is 1.4p/min.

How do you do this on the TP? - how do I tell it to go to the UK before breaking out into the phone system...?

Cheers

Carl
    if you are just calling another Skype user, it should figure it out for you. Are they not skype users?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you are just calling another Skype user, it should figure it out for you. Are they not skype users?
    The purpose of Skype Out is so you can call regular phone numbers using Skype.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I just dial from the phone app and it tells me I have to login to Skype, and gives me the option to do so. Then have to retail the number, but it connects.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
  5.    #5  
    Hi

I'm calling a normal phone in the UK, from my laptop/touchpad in NZ.

If I'm calling a number in the uk, do I have to prefix it by '004'? (I think the international code) - and if I do, will skype connect go to the UK before breaking out into the phone system (and doing a local rate call), or will it break out into the local phone system here in NZ and incur a long distance charge...?

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks

Carl.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post

If I'm calling a number in the uk, do I have to prefix it by '004'? (I think the international code) - and if I do, will skype connect go to the UK before breaking out into the phone system (and doing a local rate call), or will it break out into the local phone system here in NZ and incur a long distance charge...?
    Huh? Is the system in the UK different that people get charged for incoming long distance calls? Why would it go through NZ local phone system? Call goes through the internet. Where it actually terminates before it connects to the UK phone system, I guess only Skype knows but it shouldn't matter either way. You'll be the one charged with the (minimal) long distance fees Skype charges.

For phone numbers, I usually just store them as:
    + (country code) (area code) (phone number)

That way, whatever digits need to get dialed for long distance calls is automatically covered.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hi

If I'm calling a number in the uk, do I have to prefix it by '004'?
    Just use it like you use SkypeOut from any other clients (PC/Mac/Android/iOS). I thought you said you use SkypeOut regularly?

And the direct answer is yes, you should prefix it with international code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcron View Post
    Just use it like you use SkypeOut from any other clients (PC/Mac/Android/iOS). I thought you said you use SkypeOut regularly?

The "exit code" appears to be different from country to country. In the US, it's 011 + country code + area code + phone number. I looked up calling from New Zealand to UK and it's 00 + 44 (UK country code) + area code + phone number.

I don't know how Skype handles international calls so it's usually safer to just store numbers with a plus sign (+) in front of the area code.

Just looked it up. Skype wants you to use the + (country code) (area code) (phone number) format.

Last edited by hnzw_rui; 09/01/2011 at 12:15 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcron View Post

Yep - I've used skypeout at least once per week for the last year, on Ubuntu and Windows (multiple machines).

Skypeout normally allows you to select the country you're interested in, and then you dial a normal (local) number - you don't prefix with a country code (at least I've never done this) - and it was the same when I was calling NZ from the UK...

So on my PC (in NZ), I select UK as the destination country, then type 01782 555555 - that gets me through to 555555 in Staffordshire UK.

I'll give the full number a try and see if there's any difference in calling costs....

- Thanks

Carl.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ah I understand your question better now. Yes, Skype on Windows does automatically inserts country code after you select the country manually (usually it's reflected by the country's flag that's shown right before where you're entering the number you're dialing).

I'm pretty sure your calling costs will not be different than if you're using Skype from any other clients.
    Yep - I've used skypeout at least once per week for the last year, on Ubuntu and Windows (multiple machines).

Skypeout normally allows you to select the country you're interested in, and then you dial a normal (local) number - you don't prefix with a country code (at least I've never done this) - and it was the same when I was calling NZ from the UK...

So on my PC (in NZ), I select UK as the destination country, then type 01782 555555 - that gets me through to 555555 in Staffordshire UK.
    That's because Skype prefixes the necessary codes for you when you use their app. Likely, they'll be terminating your call to a location where the connection fee is cheapest for them. The 01782 suggests it's terminating in the UK and they're just doing a local call from there.

I'll give the full number a try and see if there's any difference in calling costs....
    Calling cost should be the same.
  12.    #12  
    Cheers - much appreciated the comments.... :-)