Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I'm loving my new touchpad so far, but there's one big deal breaker that's been nagging me. I can't seem to download ANY pdf files off of arXiv.org e-Print archive

    Try it for yourself, it's easily reproducible. Go to Quantum Physics authors/titles recent submissions and try clicking any of the pdf links. The download pane will pop up and show something like "1108.5774" with the red PDF icon, but the button changes to "Download" instead of "Open." When I open Adobe Reader, I notice that the file didn't actually download, and no matter how many times I hit the download button nothing happens.

    I've also tried the "add download link" patch on preware and it seems that clicking the "Download link" menu option does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even open the download pane. I've also tried using Advanced Browser to no avail.

    Being able to download files off this website is very important in my work, it should be an easy fix. Any ideas?
  2. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #2  
    yes I would need this to work too
  3. #3  
    Does this site require a password or authentication before downloading a file? That is a known bug and it might be fixed in the next release.
  4. #4  
    I got the same problem
    Is there arxiv.org app for webos
    I found this app for Android and iOS, but none for webos.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcross5 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm loving my new touchpad so far, but there's one big deal breaker that's been nagging me. I can't seem to download ANY pdf files off of arXiv.org e-Print archive

    Try it for yourself, it's easily reproducible. Go to Quantum Physics authors/titles recent submissions and try clicking any of the pdf links. The download pane will pop up and show something like "1108.5774" with the red PDF icon, but the button changes to "Download" instead of "Open." When I open Adobe Reader, I notice that the file didn't actually download, and no matter how many times I hit the download button nothing happens.

    I've also tried the "add download link" patch on preware and it seems that clicking the "Download link" menu option does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even open the download pane. I've also tried using Advanced Browser to no avail.

    Being able to download files off this website is very important in my work, it should be an easy fix. Any ideas?
  5. #5  
    It does not need a password.
    In general computer OS, e.g., LINUX, windows, or mac,
    you can just open the page with any browser,
    and click the pdf link for your interesting paper,
    then it will be automatically downloaded to your
    comupter.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Does this site require a password or authentication before downloading a file? That is a known bug and it might be fixed in the next release.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah the files download in pretty much every other browser no problem, there's no authentication. Like I said, hopefully this is a simple fix...?

    It's weird too because webOS seems to know that it is a pdf file because it shows the right icon.
  7.    #7  
    There really aren't any solutions to this?
  8. #8  
    Omg, why there is no solution to this? (((( damn it
  9. #9  
    I hope HP is reading this... Also, the PDF reader sucks. Get on it!!
  10. #10  
    I have had the same problem. This is not a general PDF downloading problem, since I have downloaded PDF's from other sources without issue. This is not a problem of the reader not recognizing the files, since I used a file manger app to browse around, the files simply are not downloaded.

    All I can see is that PDF's from ArxiV do not have the .PDF at the end. I think it's a quirk of both the programming of the browser and of the webpage. Since the browser hands off the downloading to a download manager that the rest of the OS relies on.

    The only solution I can come up with is to download what you want beforehand and USB it to the touchpad OR use your Box.net account to put your PDF's of interest "on the cloud". That's not the best solution but it will do.

    I really wish we could know the technical reason why this should happen.
  11.    #11  
    In addition to this issue, I've noticed that files (at least pdf files) downloaded from moodle (university course tools) don't work either. This time, it actually DOES download a file, but only an 88 byte file. Why is it that every other browser in existence doesn't have any problem with these download links?
  12. #12  
    Copy the URL of the PDF. Paste it in proxify.com, uncheck "Remove all scripts". It should download the file with a long file name and no extension to the downloads folder. Open Internalz, navigate to the downloads folder, rename the file to whatever you want along with an extension of .pdf and open.

    I opened two PDF's from that website this way.
  13. tripplec's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #13  
    I opened a thread a moment ago and then came across this. However, I have been trying to place files by emailing both PDF and DOC files but they both come out as WINMAIL.DAT attachments. Useless and there are no configuration options for attachment handling.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    I opened a thread a moment ago and then came across this. However, I have been trying to place files by emailing both PDF and DOC files but they both come out as WINMAIL.DAT attachments. Useless and there are no configuration options for attachment handling.
    That seems like an issue with the e-mail client. Try a different e-mail client or upload to Box.net from your PC.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s View Post
    Copy the URL of the PDF. Paste it in proxify.com, uncheck "Remove all scripts". It should download the file with a long file name and no extension to the downloads folder. Open Internalz, navigate to the downloads folder, rename the file to whatever you want along with an extension of .pdf and open.

    I opened two PDF's from that website this way.
    Thanks for that, but it's pretty useless from a daily usability standpoint.
  16. #16  
    I've started a patch request thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3129476
    I'll pay for the patch. If you want to speed up the process, we can make prize pool bigger. So please, PM me, if you want to help with patch or contribute money to patcher. Or just post in thread, that you want to help.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by artemonster View Post
    I've started a patch request thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3129476
    I'll pay for the patch. If you want to speed up the process, we can make prize pool bigger. So please, PM me, if you want to help with patch or contribute money to patcher. Or just post in thread, that you want to help.
    +1, i'm in for $10. Being able to downoad pdfs from secure sites is a necessity for me
  18. #18  
    Same issues here only I've been transferring PDFs from my laptop to my touchpad via USB which seems to work fine but after I finish, I can't find the files anywhere on my touchpad. The real kicker is when I re-connect to my laptop and open the window to view the files on my touchpad, the files are all there! I would love to see this one resolved as well.
  19. #19  
    Most of my issues seem to have been resolved after I updated to WebOS 3.0.2! I'm not sure if the TP did a reboot after installing the update but all of a sudden all the PDF files I had transferred earlier and could not see or view, now show up when I open Adobe Reader. I then found an update for Adobe Reader which has added some new functionality but still lacks a search function and an easy way to navigate to any desired page number (which would be nice when looking through service manuals of several hundred to over 1000 pages!) Let us know if the updates resolve any of the other specific issues with PDF files, Thanks.
    Last edited by pqdoc; 09/09/2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Add Title
  20. #20  
    Is there still no solution for downloading pdf from arxiv.org? Any effort is appreciated as this is important for my job...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions