webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > First non-webOS phone to be fully tetherd with HP TouchPad
First non-webOS phone to be fully tetherd with HP TouchPad
Like Tree71Likes

Old 08/31/2011, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

*applies to HP TouchPad 16GB, 32GB US webOS 3.0.2
Update 9/2/2011 11:53PM EST
message from lead:

Quote:
"first, thanks everyone for the replies and information.

i apologize for any confusion that there's been about how to approach this (mainly about needing a doctored TP) by updating the post again, and it is possible to do this on an undoctored one.

as of right now, there arent too many developers i know of on this. all further development is relying on myself, but mostly you guys and what you happen to stumble across

please continue posting your phones model and level of success. or anything else you think is worth telling.

as for BT data tethering: there have been a few people who managed to get this done too. i'll add more information on that soon"
before you begin the tethering process:
- watch the video guide before making any major changes to your TouchPad, or phone. this video has detailed explaination
- although a freshly doctored TouchPad is not required, understand that it will be the first thing asked of you to do if you ask for troubleshooting steps.
- if you experience any problems without explaination, try having no apps or patches installed other than freeTether, Preware, and Govnah/UberKernel
- be sure your Bluetooth profile on both your cell phone, and TouchPad are cleared
- keep Wi-Fi OFF during the pairing process (otherwise your TouchPad may become confused)
- I cant stress enough how important it is to follow the video and annotations exactly
- feel free to try your own ideas for your settings if the method in the video prove unsuccessful. this is still very much a work in progress, and there is no set-in-stone method of doing this. but the method in the video has the highest success rate as of now
- Do not confuse acroyms with the wrong meaning:
BT = Bluetooth; TP = TouchPad; BT Data = Data between two devices (not cellular data.)
- Wi-Fi can be re-enabled after pairing.

once you begin the tethering process:
- be sure you enable "AUTO BT TETHER" in General Prefs (freeTether)
- be sure you enable "PAN PROFILE" in Bluetooth Prefs (freeTether)
- know that the "Connections" tab in freeTether will not display your phone. this is normal and expected
- Data connection to you cell phones' network via Bluetooth is not supported for the TouchPad as of this update.

many people who have done the above have been able to get text messageing, and phone calling from the TouchPad to work. but please understand that it simply may not be possible to pair your device with your TP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
updated 9/1/2011 5:47PM EST

I added annotations/written instructions with some information the video does not show. if you had problems, take another try.
also note that this was done on a freshly doctored TouchPad to 3.0.2 with minimal app installs, and no custom patches (except for any that were installed along with freeTether, and UberKernel/Govnah. i suggest you backup your device, and do the same as i did.

First non webOS phone to be fully tetherd with HP TouchPad - YouTube Annotations

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(the list of supported and non-supported phones is updated frequently)
List of phones with full support:
LG Rumor Touch
HTC Evo 3D - conflicting reports of success; but the only other to have full support

List of phones with most or partial success:
Blackberry Bold 9780
Blackberry 8530
HTC Sensation
HTC Sensation2
Samsung Epic 4G
Nokia 5800
Dell Venue Pro
Apple iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3Gs
iPhone 4
LG G2
LG Optimu
LG Rumor
LG VN250
T-Mobile HD2
HD7s
Google Nexus S 4G
Motorola Atrix
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid Charge
Motorola Droid X2
Motorola Photon
LG Optimus
Samsung Focus
Samsung Gravity T
Samsung Gravity S2
Samsung Behold 2
Samsung Infuse 4G

List of phones with least, or no success:

HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Desire
Samsung Fascinate
Samsung Restore
non-webOS 2.2 phones

Known Issues:
- Going out of range between TP and Phone rarely requires a manual re-paring.
HP TouchPad's Bluetooth menu does not open on its own, it be done manually in the order of the video.

- Some devices seem to rarely disconnect on their own
Attached Images
File Type: png Phone & Video calls.png (64.1 KB, 683 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png Bluetooth.png (34.9 KB, 521 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png Device Info.png (71.3 KB, 518 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Sickness273; 09/04/2011 at 07:59 PM.
Sickness273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sukiyaki, Rnp, tnguy88 and 22 others like this.
Old 08/31/2011, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

text isn't going to work without webos 2.2 on the phone. Sorry.

but please post how you got calling to work.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: heikogammel
Old 08/31/2011, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

tell us how you did this? I'm wondering if this is possible with iphone...
next_milenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

you can't you got it working without how it was done... do tell
mitsueks is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

interesting..want to share the settings?
Maustininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
text isn't going to work without webos 2.2 on the phone. Sorry.
text messaging does work. it's only that greyed out and "!" mark that make it a little messy to look at.
Liked by mtwow789 likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

i'll try and post a method that works within a day or so. its just a matter of me getting it right to explain to everyone else.
took a ton of attempts.
Old 08/31/2011, 03:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

interesting
Old 08/31/2011, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

working on a video that will explain how to make the TouchPad text messaging and phone calling work over bluetooth with the LG Rumor Touch. and probably every or most Bluetooth enabled phones.

there's nothing special about my phone, so i'd imagine others would work too.

Last edited by Sickness273; 08/31/2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08/31/2011, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness273 View Post
text messaging does work. it's only that greyed out and "!" mark that make it a little messy to look at.

How?

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by 4DegreesLower likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

trying it now with my pre minus. Obviously it does calls fine but no dice with texts. Did you have freetether tuning when you sent the text too?
Lucidlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness273 View Post
working on a video that will explain how to make the TouchPad text messaging and phone calling work over bluetooth with the LG Rumor Touch. and probably every or most Bluetooth enabled phones.

there's nothing special about my phone, so i'd imagine others would work too.
actually I think there is something special about your phone and if this Is real it only works because the rumor touch might be using older Bluetooth profiles and the touchpad thinks it I webOS phone
Old 08/31/2011, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
actually I think there is something special about your phone and if this Is real it only works because the rumor touch might be using older Bluetooth profiles and the touchpad thinks it I webOS phone
my carrier is Sprint, and i live in Florida. the phones firmware is up to date.

what i meant by "it may not work beyond the Rumor Touch," i meant that its a fairly new phone (2010) and isn't running on old hardware/firmware and isnt a dinosaur of a phone.

but, had a set back today, but im editing the video tutorial right now.

Last edited by Sickness273; 08/31/2011 at 10:27 PM.
Liked by mc_gusto likes this.
Old 09/01/2011, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

yeah same here with evo 3d. Texting works. Calls do not. I'd rather the texts work than the calling.
NCspecV81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Delgarth likes this.
Old 09/01/2011, 04:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

as promised in my old thread about this, http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3119447

I posted a video of my LG Rumor Touch being fully tethered to my TouchPad, and being able to text message and place phone calls from my TP via Bluetooth tethering.

this is also my first video, and my camera is a POS. very much still legibile though

the video below shows how I managed to tether my LG Rumor Touch (Sprint) to my HP TouchPad. i'm able to send and recieve text messages as if my TouchPad were a phone itself, and make an take calls the same way.

please note there is no audio yet, and i'll add full annotations with exact step-by-step instruction. i'm just too tired to do it right now.
*primarily a proof of concept, but give it a shot with your phone/TP setup
First non webOS phone to be fully tetherd with HP TouchPad - YouTube

Last edited by Sickness273; 09/01/2011 at 05:40 AM.
Liked by docnas, snowwhitie and rkmytp like this.
Old 09/01/2011, 04:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

hey congrats, a lot of the peeps here should love this!
gamblers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Sickness273
Old 09/01/2011, 04:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

evo 3d connects but nothing works.says can't use device and no activity on phone.
NCspecV81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 04:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

like I said in the video, i'm not sure if people will get this to work for their phones as of now. but, it at least shows it is possible, and a step closer to having everyone be able to use their touchpad this way.
hopefully.
Thanked By: kahads
Old 09/01/2011, 05:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
trying it now with my pre minus. Obviously it does calls fine but no dice with texts. Did you have freetether tuning when you sent the text too?
after having them both paired, i closed my freeTether app. but it could be different for the pre minus. try different combinations of when to open and close apps, when to tether. etc. that's how i figured mine out.
*again, will add annotations tomorrow
Old 09/01/2011, 07:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

You would think there would be an easy way to message WITH WebOS phones (like the Pre, for instance). Anyone been working on that? I can connect just fine; would be nice to be able to message.
davidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sickness273 and AMPhilbrick like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0