Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
    Optimus V here also. Except I can receive calls on the Touchpad, just can't make them. When I try to make a call on the touchpad, I get a "unable to connect, Calls cannot be placed through this device.."
    Same here, outgoing call fail and no luck with messaging either, app still gives me "if you have a webOS phone..." instead of recognizing the phone. Paired up fine but not much is working otherwise.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i enabled wifi hotspot on my WM phone but tablet doesn't pick up the wifi, seems the tablet cant detect ad-hoc
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    I think at this point we have well established that this workaround will not be 100% until the PROPER bluetooth profiles have been ported over. I have emailed the FreeTether devs and am waiting response about this. My suspicion is that they are working on this however; i have been unable to get them to respond about this.

Anyone else have any ideas? I am working with the dev kit now to try and figure this out on my own.
    Lurch, im sorry to say that there are no bluetooth profiles that need to be ported over as far as the touchpad is concerned (to work with calls and text).

The touchpad supports Hands Free (Hands-Free Profile (HFP) and Headset Profile (HSP)) these 2 combined is what gives the touchpad the ability to dial a phone and then be used as a headset (I suspect for those on android, you may have to enable the profile in your bluetooth on play with the settings on your phone app, as these 2 profiles should be pretty standard for nearly all phones)

The other profiles that the Touchpad looks for when connecting to a phone are
    - Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA), which the name says it all, access the phones phonebook

-Object Push Profile (OPP) - so you can tranfer files, pictures, vcards, etc

and finally, the one we all want

-Message Access Profile (MAP)

If you have a phone that is capable of all these profiles, or you have a ROM like CM7 which I believe implements the bluez bluetooth stack, then you "should" be good

As far a freetether is concerned, once you made the initial pairing, you no longer need freetether unless you delete the device.

The reason freetether works is actually something the palm developers didnt really account for (A Bug if you will). Freetether makes the touchpad visible to your phone (the TP makes itself "NOT" discoverable by default). Since your phone now has the TP's BT address, once you open the BT app, and try to pair again from your phone, the code to Filter out Non Compliant / Non WebOS phones is bypassed and that is what allows you to pair with the TP

For those of you whom are having phone/txt issues, after pairing, reboot both devices, and try to reconnect (you are already paired, dont delete the pairing) and check if it now works. I suspect after the reconnect, the TP would kick off the BT profile check and setup everything correctly (Hands Free and Texting) but that only a guess since right now all i have is a blackberry and an Iphone so I cant test that theory out myself
    eblade, wbussing and pre101 like this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    so has anyone been able to use their mobile phone hotspot to connect to touchpad? any ad hoc work-arounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben00 View Post
    Lurch, im sorry to say that there are no bluetooth profiles that need to be ported over as far as the touchpad is concerned (to work with calls and text).
    Ruben, you are correct (sorry, i assumed a lot in my last post). I have actually successfully used text and phone and even my phonebook at this point with my iPhone 4. Works pretty well after you restart the TP. Again, you are correct to say that the MAP profile is really what we’re all looking for at this point.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lurch
    Got my iphone paired with touch pad and can make calls just can't send or receive texts...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Vodafone Unlocked HTC Legend, works fine for calls (and hotspot) but no messaging. It appears that as pointed out by ruben00, it's not as mysterious as you thought.

The LG Rumor has Message Access Profile onboard (so does the RAZR! :/ ) where my HTC Legend does not. That's a damn shame too.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    finally, the one we all want

If you have a phone that is capable of all these profiles, or you have a ROM like CM7 which I believe implements the bluez bluetooth stack, then you "should" be good
    It sounds like CM7 does not support texting right now. Based on what people have said in this thread, tethering the TouchPad with a CM7 phone is not working with texts

There have been a lot of threads around the internet asking for CM to support MAP profile. It doesn't sound like it would be hard to do, just there hasn't been enough interest to make it happen

K
    I got my droid x to ask me to allow my touchpad to use the MAP protocol and I hit yes I can get texts on my touchpad but cant send them from the touchpad and I still cant get calls to really work.
    Got an HP Veer this day, which supposed to have support also for text messaging to TP. Ok, we do know it hasn't. I checked the BT profiles, indeed no MAP. Would be interessting to know if Pre3 has it. Hope for the WebOS 2.2 update....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
    Got an HP Veer this day, which supposed to have support also for text messaging to TP. Ok, we do know it hasn't. I checked the BT profiles, indeed no MAP. Would be interessting to know if Pre3 has it. Hope for the WebOS 2.2 update....
    HP has publicly stated that a software update is required on the Veer to enable this feature and touch to share.
    Has anyone gotten this to work with their iPhone 4's? If not I'm buying a Veer in anticipation of my touchpad to get delivered. Hopefully by October there will be a fix in preware or from HP to get it working correctly. My touchpad hasn't been shipped yet so I can't test it yet but has anyone tried using a touchpad with iOS 5 Betas?
    Last edited by kevind123; 09/08/2011 at 10:17 PM.
    I have a rooted T-Mobile G2 and I just turned on the tethering that came with CM7 and connected my TP and it worked. I am posting this from tethered TP.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

Can anyone confirm successful use of a device without MAP? I used to use my SE T610 with my Palm TX for years, with some digging I found it didn't have MAP but Palm's tech supported all sorts of devices without it. How? I have no idea, while this current might be pure MAP it's possible they're sourcing their previous method.

See listed devices from 14 June 2005:
    Palm Support : Wireless Networking over Bluetooth for Palm OS

More questions less answers...
    Last edited by brum; 09/09/2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    using a non webOS phone, specifically a nokia in my case, is extremely buggy

it pairs only 1/4 of the time, and when it does pair it hardly makes calls

on the occasion that i did make a call the touchpad said that it cant do calls from it, yet when the other phone answered it disappeared and worked without question... weird O.o

i might just get a veer and use that instead and hope that the new update will come soon

@Lebenskuenstler the pre3 works with it OTB, but i heard of reports that the veer can work...
    htc inspire will connect but unable to make calls or txt
    Just connected my Droid 2 Global with my TP via BT and had a text message come in - Message appeared on both the phone AND on the TP. Notification was on the top of the TP screen with start of message text the same way Facebook notification happens. Then the messaging icon appeared on the top where the email and facebook icons appear when there's an alert. Clicked on the icon and was taken to Messaging. Had to press the green button to continue in Messaging (sorry - don't remember what it said exactly) and then click on the message bubble icon on the left pane to see the Text Message that came in.

Cool. Let's see if I can send out!

Went to Messaging drop down box and clicked Preferences and Accounts. Was given the option of connecting to my webOS phone (which I don't have) and said sure.

Tried to send out, did not go out. Went to view error message and was given a box that says "error" and that was it.

Under Preference & Accounts I have under Add an Account:

"Your device is connected with your phone. You can send & receive text messages through your phone connection."
    ya, I have and android phone, Mytouch 4g with MIUI. I can only make calls from the phone, though they do connect to the tablet phone when i make them. I CAN answer calls on the touchpad, which is cool..no texting, but the google voice workaround from post 39 works well for me...
    I got it to work! HTC EVO 4G running Kinged Shooter RLS 2.1. Phone calls worked after I ran through Nashballer's steps in post:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3136579

Then texts worked after I looked under my phone's "advanced bluetooth settings." Then "message access." It seems to get about 1/3 texts and sends them out with the yellow alert.

UPDATE: After a reboot of both phone and TP it has gotten all of the texts but still sends with the 'pending' status.
    Last edited by jjanthony70; 09/09/2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Confirmed, it works on Sprint Evo 4g!
    Sickness273 likes this.