Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I am no insider or expert but my gut tells me the response to the low price touchpad can't be ignored. People everywhere are looking for one of these. Retailers nationwide are sold out and every promo code they toss up gets devoured by consumers. Does anyone else think this delay is HP reconsidering their decision to kill the touchpad?
    There is no way. It would just compound their idiocy.
    Who knows at this point, but their senior leadership would look even more unstable than they already do if they reversed themselves again. Although, if they fired Leo at the same time, that could work.
    SmartFah, jblather, Vij and 5 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    There is no way. It would just compound their idiocy.
    Well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    I am no insider or expert but my gut tells me the response to the low price touchpad can't be ignored. People everywhere are looking for one of these. Retailers nationwide are sold out and every promo code they toss up gets devoured by consumers. Does anyone else think this delay is HP reconsidering their decision to kill the touchpad?
    No. If you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense. They're selling these things at a horrible loss. If they raised the price to where it was profitable, they likely wouldn't continue to sell out.

I think the only way you could realistically hope for a turn around is if the current CEO was quickly given his walking papers and Hurd was invited back.

The best we can hope for is that the current buzz around webOS translates into someone like Samsung giving it a 3rd chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Who knows at this point, but their senior leadership would look even more unstable than they already do if they reversed themselves again. Although, if they fired Leo at the same time, that could work.

Bringing back webOS hardware & firing Leo = Epic Win!
    I really hope they do so.
    sledge007 and retroblu like this.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I've got mixed feelings...i don't want to see it 'die' by HP, but I also don't really want HP in control of it. As long as it lives though, I really don't care...i hate to imagine my daily life without webOS.
    retroblu likes this.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Many companies have sold hardware at a loss to gain user base. Not saying I am sure this is going to happen I am just saying the response to the discount and the high consumer demand may inspire a salvation for the touch pad.

I think even if they released a slightly tweaked TP for $199 and $249 people would buy it.
    My thought was that HP could announce a 64GB unit and/or TouchPad Go at a price that was higher than firesale but well below the original HP TouchPad retail price. Would be nice. {Jonathan}
    Many companies have sold hardware at a loss to gain user base.
    They don't, however, reveal the dumping of said hardware during financial announcements and forecasts and then go back on it.

Not saying I am sure this is going to happen I am just saying the response to the discount and the high consumer demand may inspire a salvation for the touch pad.

I think even if they released a slightly tweaked TP for $199 and $249 people would buy it.
    Those wouldn't be slightly tweaked, those would be severely underpowered. $299 and $399 might be workable but it would probably have to come from a company better suited to mobile platform development. The Touchpad is built more like a PC than a tablet inside.
    Many companies have sold hardware at a loss to gain user base. Not saying I am sure this is going to happen I am just saying the response to the discount and the high consumer demand may inspire a salvation for the touch pad.

They have nothing to gain from an increased user base. Apple uses the app store to get people to buy the hardware. Android makes money for Google through ads. How does HP profit?
    there is a rumor that Samsung is looking to buy webOS,if true it would be nice to keep to webOS alive I must wish it was htc looking to buy.

Has Samsung set its sights on HP's WebOS? | Signal Strength - CNET News
    Continuing production of the Touchpad while still incurring a huge loss per unit would be one of the most terrible ideas for HP. Because it's such a terrible idea, I think HP will continue production indefinitely.
    heres 1 possible option. If they spin-off the PSG side to a new entity, maybe that entity then creates their version of hte touchpad. Its still questionable whether WebOS would spin off to the new entity or stay under the software portion of HP. Who knows, anythings possible. From my understanding, if they spin-off, they would no longer be under Leo and the HP name, they would be some new name(compaq anyone?) and new leadership(SDF perhaps?)
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Fire Leo and reorganize the Dam mess he and the board created then
    bring in someone not insane and understands
    1. Customer Service
    2. Innovation
    3. Consumer markets
    4. Product development
    5. Product support

This whole software idea of Leo's its like he hasn't been paying attention
    linux is free and its used in parts not a whole
    M$ is losing market
    Apple gained
    how in the heck does he think there is room for another software?

webOS had a chance 2 years ago it sat
    it sat in HP's pocket going stale and now its day old bread

I do not know if grass roots can resuscitate but HP could with the right leader and its not Leo....…
    slaar likes this.
    you've seen and heard Leo right? He just might come out and say - oh never mind, we'll keep WebOS hardware. He'll do this and NOT inform the WebOS Division or PSG group. They will hear it through AllThingsDigital or something. Guy is an absolute waste for HP - who would of ever thought he could damage HP faster and worse than Carly ever did. Amazing....

He was so good at the helm of SAP, they kept him as their sole CEO for an entire 7 months. Great job HP Board, great job. Leo - go home before you make all my stock investment worthless. Had to break to my kids they are now going to the local community college thanks to Leo's magic. Mark Hurd's last month at HP - stock hits about $49 - Leo now has it at $26 and he was able to make it reach it's lowest level in over 6 years. All this in less than 10 months. Guy is truly amazing!

However, I'm the ***** for keeping the stock.

ok, that felt good.
    Last edited by Midway99; 08/29/2011 at 10:27 PM.
    retroblu likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Fire Leo and reorganize the Dam mess he and the board created then
    bring in someone not insane and understands
    1. Customer Service
    2. Innovation
    3. Consumer markets
    4. Product development
    5. Product support

This whole software idea of Leo's its like he hasn't been paying attention
    linux is free and its used in parts not a whole
    M$ is losing market
    Apple gained
    how in the heck does he think there is room for another software?

webOS had a chance 2 years ago it sat
    it sat in HP's pocket going stale and now its day old bread

I do not know if grass roots can resuscitate but HP could with the right leader and its not Leo....
    Todd Bradley was in the running for CEO ans was thought to have the job. He runs PSG now. I think he would have been a nice choice. Ever since HP started hiring CEO's for outside the company it has gone to hell.
    HP stated in an Earnings Conference Call and SEC quarterly filing that they were ending production of webOS devices.

If that was a lie, the HP executives face criminal prosecution and HP faces class action lawsuits. It that has changed now and they don't delare it, they face criminal prosecution and class action lawsuits.

HP already knew that the TouchPad would sell out in a weekend at $299 as they saw with the Staples coupon but they instead priced it at $99 instead and declared webOS devices dead.

HP also declared that webOS devices cannot be made profitably and then offered to "keep the door open" in case other companies were interested in webOS.

You know how The Office is having a hard time replacing Michael Scott (Steve Carrell). Leo Apotheker is perfect. Just have him bring his Superman lunchbox along. Michael Scott is not even in the same league.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The stockholders should be lynching him. He just threw away abut $100 million in undercutting prices for no reason at all.

Yeah but those companies PLANNED that. Those companies (like xBOX, Playstation) also had ancillary products (i.e. games and games in the pipeline being developed) to begin selling immediately and at high margin. webOS has a handful of apps and you're not going to turn a big profit on low margins on 99 cent apps. Big difference here.

They've already lost $12billion in stock value since the start of this fire sale. And a big part of that was the seemingly contradictory moves they kept making. Another contradictory move isn't going to help stock prices as it just reinforces the idea that management has no freaking clue what they're doing. Whatever measly profits could be generated now isn't worth the billions more they'll lose in stock value.

Just not happening.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast